GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to buy a GPS. After reading the boards here i have noticed the Garmmin 2610 was quite popular with the 1800 crowd. Heres my concern, after reading about this product it is now discontinued, but the company said they will continue to support this product. My questions are, Should i not let this turn me away from the 2610? Or should i go for the next updated model? The 2610 is still available at a pretty good price. What decision would you do? Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention your likes dislikes on the Garmin 2610, and also your experience with other compatible brands. Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
My wife has the 2610 in her car for a couple of years now. Compared to newer, smaller, lighter and better multi-functional GPS units, the 2610 is still a great buy. We've never had any problems with ours and have updated the nav data base twice and we're getting ready to update it a third time to version 8. If you could find one for $350 or less I'd jump at it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to mount a unit as big and heavy as the 2610 on the handlebars of my bike but others may think differently. It doesn't have a battery backup so it needs to be plugged into an AC adapter. The speaker is located on the power cable and while it's loud inside the car, it may be difficult to hear or understand at speed on the bike.

You really can't go wrong with any Garmin GPS.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I have the 2610 mounted on my dash on the GL1800, wired into the system so I hear it through my helmet speakers, if need be. I think it is a great unit. Touch screen works well and you can set the options for text size and many other options. Only problem is the screen washes out in bright sunlight. I have a sun shade on mine and it helps. The unit easily transfers to the car using the plug adapter and internal speaker.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've had my 2610 for a couple of years now. I purchased it from GetFeetWet and absolutely no problems. I also have it mounted on a ram mount on the left handlebar...also with no problems. Just keeps on tickin'.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The 2610 is a good solid performer. I use it in the work truck, on the bike, and have loaned it to my girlfriend several times. I always have to beg her for it's safe return...that's how much she likes it. Come to think of it...I've spent enough on dinners and gifts to wiggle the GPS back in to my possession I could have just bought a new one for myself. :? :? :? Ahhhh....the maintenance of the female critter!

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I had the 2610 and now a 2720....the 2610 was a great unit, no problems at all, however the 2720 has a few more features that I like better...

2720 will allow custom Points of Interest, as in all Honda dealers, also all the USA preloaded, 3d viewing....

If the price difference wasn't much, I'd op for the 2720, BUT, the 2610 will serve you well......

As for hearing the speaker in the power plug, forget that....if you want to hear "Betty" you'll need the wiring connection that interfaces with your headsets, and that's on any of the GPS units, not just the 2610...and I don't think any of the "Nuvi" units are waterproof, that's a must... :wink:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good advice. I will go out this weekend and see what best price i can get on the 2610, and then possibly go for the 2720!
Again thanks alot

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've also got a 2610 and think it's a great unit. Instead of going out this weekend to try to find the best price, look online. That's where I found mine, and saved a bunch of money.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You will have to pry my 2610 out of my dead fingers! This is the epitome of GPS, and Garmin won't surpass it any time soon. Perfect? Nope, but it's one of those devices that you don't mind some imperfection in because you are thrilled at the overall performance of it. I've logged more miles than I can count with mine on three bikes and two cars and a truck, and it's never failed me. Features are simple and advanced, auto routing of a few hundred waypoints is a cakewalk. Accuracy and satelitte location are quick and reliable (get an external antenna and mount it on the front fairing above 'Honda' for amazing performance in bad weather, canyons, etc)

Voice prompts can be sent to your headset with an adapter and the cable from Garmin for hardwired power. I mount mine on my EdSets space station, but since I own the company, I got a discount on it...

If I could find a problem with the 2610 it's that Garmin hasn't found a better overall unit yet and when this baby goes belly up as all things do eventually, I sure hope someone has replaced it wiht another no-kidding "professional grade" GPS unit.

Ed

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
I really like my 2610 too. It does all that I need a GPS to do. I just wish Garmin would make a updated verison of the 2610... like maybe with a better resolution screen and other improvements instead of just replacing it with a more expensive different model that in some ways seems to not do what the 2610 already does... like being able to show the altitude for example. The 2610 is a full featured GPS, that doesn't cost alot of money. For my next GPS, I want the exact same features that I have now with the 2610 in a improved package.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts