GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well does the SP 2610 touch screen work in the winter when you're wearing gloves??

Just wondering??

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Shooter,
I was wondering the same thing. The Garmin site says it will work in the rain, but doesn't mention cold. OK, it does give the operating temp range, but I will be interested to see feedback from folks actually using it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been using my 2610 for a few months now, but yesterday was my first time with heavy gloves. Light gloves are really no problem (I usually just press with the natural fold in the leather at the end of the finger - like a pointer!). The heavy gloves proved a little more challenging. I was able to do all necessary things (changing zoom, dragging the map to see what's ahead, etc.) but sometimes I had to hit it a couple of times to get the right button. Small things, like entering names or "X"ing out of difference screens, I could not do. These are things usually done sitting still anyway. If I had to wear heavy gloves all that often, I would probably glue a small "nub" on the end of one of the fingers to use as a pointer. Overall, I have no complaints about using gloves with the touch screen.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What if you cut the end of an old pool cue.
Use that as a pointer and keep it on the bike somewhere?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I dont have a problem with the touch screen if I'm using my summer gloves.

With my heavy winter gloves I can still use the buttons on the side of the unit or change the screen image using the touch screen. However, I cant use the " find an address" option with the heavy gloves, as I'm always selecting the wrong letter or number. To elevate this problem, I carry a pencil with an eraser on it & use it to select a number or letter.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Eagle, what kind of mount are you using? Im thinking about picking up the 2610 from circuit city....they have the 2610 for 999.00. Is that a good price compared to what you or anyone else has paid?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I paid $780 from TVNAV.com. Great service. Now I just need to work out a mount for my 1800.

I know that other paid a few $$ less from other mail order sites, but I'm satisfied. :idea:

·
Registered
757 Posts
Blue Knight, I paid $760.00 here,
http://marine.com/

I made the mount out of 3/16" Plexus Glass.
I cut a piece 6"X7", put it in a vice, added a "little" heat, & bent it 90 deg.
Trimmed it to fit, with a jig saw, & sanded the edges.
Drilled two holes to match the grip mount.
Picked up longer bolts, & 1/2" long spacers at a H/W store.
Bolts, M6X45mm, 1.00 pitch, 1&3/4 long, socket head cap screws.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Blue night.

I just bought two 2610's from GPSDiscount.com for $757 a piece. They also gave me two day air free shipping and a "T" shirt. Excellent people to deal with. If ya have any questions, send me an email or PM and I will call you.

I also have the skinny on the cradle and mount that we will need.

Bulldog

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bulldog said:
Blue night.

I just bought two 2610's from GPSDiscount.com for $757 a piece. They also gave me two day air free shipping and a "T" shirt. Excellent people to deal with. If ya have any questions, send me an email or PM and I will call you.

I also have the skinny on the cradle and mount that we will need.

Bulldog
Hey Bulldog glad I read your post. I just got my 2610 from GPSDiscount on Thursday and didn't see the T shirt. I saw something in the bottom of box but thought it was packing. Had to go out in the garage and get the box, sure enough there was my T shirt, can always use one more.

Been out riding around today with the GPS in the truck playing with it. Looks like this is going to be a nice unit. You said you had the skinny on mounts. Have you gotten an dateds when the mounts and cables will be out.

Thanks
Panther Ga.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Panther,

Here is what I have so far.

http://www.mobilecx.com/page_results.php?uid=718

Also I received an email from Kennedy, and they will have a harness very early 2004 (?)

Only problem that I see with the mount from "Mobilecx" is that we are going to have to get a different part, that hooks directly to the bike. I believe the bottom part of my ram mount ( that I just sold will work). I am going to wait a month or two and see who comes out with the complete mount system. I don't want to purchase that base mount and have it hang around in my garage. I have enough "ya never knows" in there already.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bulldog

·
Registered
175 Posts
Bulldog I think I am going to wait for a while also. I am not even sure right now where I want to mount it on the bike. I think by the end of January we should have a lot more to choose from. We may be in Georgia but its still not the greatest riding weather for the next few months.

Thanks for the link.

Panther

·
Registered
185 Posts
west marine

Jim H. let me in on something I did not know. West marine will match any internet ad price. I drove to Dallas today and got a 2610 for 744.00. I like the idea that "if" there is a problem with the unit during the first few days I have a place to return it.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
2610 Mounting

If you look at http://www.cigar-mogul.com/texelent.htm you will see Ben Askew's installation of the Texelent mounting system which Chef sells. The Garmin cradle that fits this system is due out this month, and will have the electrical cable with audio breakout for the Wing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Eagle Eye ;
Can you tell me the size of the bolts you used , lenght and tread size . Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts