GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy was complaining that he cannot get the smaller roads to display on his 08 with onboard Garmin. He said he does have it set to show greater detail.

He was assuming that it was because of the 2GB storage capacity limiting how much is loaded (bought it used and is using the 2011 update). I was commenting that my 2720 holds virtually all of the US internally with only its flash memory and 750MB of user storage capacity.

This brought up two questions that a quick search found no answers to. (1) How much storage capacity is in that "flash storage" on the 2720? and (2) shouldn't the 08's Garmin display a lot more than just the larger roads? Heck, on my 2720 I see named gravel and dirt roads coming up.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
A buddy was complaining that he cannot get the smaller roads to display on his 08 with onboard Garmin. He said he does have it set to show greater detail.

He was assuming that it was because of the 2GB storage capacity limiting how much is loaded (bought it used and is using the 2011 update). I was commenting that my 2720 holds virtually all of the US internally with only its flash memory and 750MB of user storage capacity.

This brought up two questions that a quick search found no answers to. (1) How much storage capacity is in that "flash storage" on the 2720? and (2) shouldn't the 08's Garmin display a lot more than just the larger roads? Heck, on my 2720 I see named gravel and dirt roads coming up.
All I can tell you is the 2720 and older Streetpilot units had a 2000 waypoints/favorites and locations limit , where the newer ones I believe only have 1000 ..

edit; found this....

The StreetPilot 2620 and 2720 come with approx. 2 GB of built-in memory and pre-loaded maps. The model 2720 is equipped with additional 512 MB of memory to store additional maps,

upon further checking it is 750 MB not 512

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
The 2720 has about 2GB set aside for what are referred to as "Base Maps" and "Detail Maps," the latter of which sounds like what missing from your friends unit. You should be able to zoom down to 30' or closer. If when he zooms down, he doesn't see detail, one of two things is the issue.

1. In the settings, set the detail to high. Refer to the OWNERS MANUAL, and go to page 31 (as indicated on the page) and review the section titled Change the Map Settings > Map Detail.

or

2. The detail maps aren't installed which means you'll have to buy the maps from Garmin. All of that detailed information can be found on Garmin's website.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The instruction given was for changing the setting on the 2720. How does he change the setting on his inboard navi? Where I have a detail setting in both Display and Navigation, he only sees one in the Display setting.

Also, how does he build routes outside the bike, e.g. with either Base Camp or Map Source, and ingest it into the bike's inboard GPS?

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
The instruction given was for changing the setting on the 2720. How does he change the setting on his inboard navi? Where I have a detail setting in both Display and Navigation, he only sees one in the Display setting.

Also, how does he build routes outside the bike, e.g. with either Base Camp or Map Source, and ingest it into the bike's inboard GPS?
As far as setting the "detal" on his "onboard" nav, no idea. I don't have the built in nav on mine.

Regarding importing custom routes on an '08, can't be done. That feature wasn't available until the '10, I believe.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as setting the "detal" on his "onboard" nav, no idea. I don't have the built in nav on mine.

Regarding importing custom routes on an '08, can't be done. That feature wasn't available until the '10, I believe.
Thanks. I've another question I'll post in a new thread once we figure out the inboard navi setting to get more detailed viewing similar to my 2720. I can't believe the gps people paid thousands to get built into their bike doesn't show hardball county roads. We must be missing some setting.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The 2720 has about 2GB set aside for what are referred to as "Base Maps" and "Detail Maps," the latter of which sounds like what missing from your friends unit. You should be able to zoom down to 30' or closer. If when he zooms down, he doesn't see detail, one of two things is the issue.

1. In the settings, set the detail to high. Refer to the OWNERS MANUAL, and go to page 31 (as indicated on the page) and review the section titled Change the Map Settings > Map Detail.

or

2. The detail maps aren't installed which means you'll have to buy the maps from Garmin. All of that detailed information can be found on Garmin's website.
:agree:

One suggestion to try to distinguish whether this is a zoom/level of detail display issue or an detail map not loaded issue: route to a point you know is well defined but is in the finicky detail-not-shown area. If you get detailed routing in there, see Batman's #1. If you just get a handwave to a semi-close spot next to or a straight line into a "there be dragons" blankspace, it's #2.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:agree:

One suggestion to try to distinguish whether this is a zoom/level of detail display issue or an detail map not loaded issue: route to a point you know is well defined but is in the finicky detail-not-shown area. If you get detailed routing in there, see Batman's #1. If you just get a handwave to a semi-close spot next to or a straight line into a "there be dragons" blankspace, it's #2.
Makes sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts