GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you guys can help! I found a 2720 used for $400 but havent purchased yet.How do I know if it has the V6, 7,or 8 programming whatever that means and how do I upgrade to latest and the cost if it doesnt already have it? Is this a good deal? Has the remote and external antenna also.Thanks!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
"Normally" new guys that come onto the site introduce themselves, have there profile filled out and just say hi ? Be that as it may, if you found a 2720 for that price ? That's a great deal. The 2720 isnt real old so at the worst it should have ver. 6 on it. I'm using ver. 6 on my 2610 and it does a good job. Some upgrades are not all that they are cracked up to be.
If I was to get another one ? The 2720 is what I would get. Read up on it....... :)

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2720/

·
Registered
206 Posts
You just go to Garmin's website and click on downloads and click on the download for your device. I have V8 on my 2730 that I just downloaded a couple of weeks ago when it came out. You can also download some other software that will automatically download new software when it comes available or just do it manually yourself. And version V8 is supposed to give you alot of things that you won't have with V6 so I recommend getting it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great!!! Thanks guys! I know it's probably rude to jump in for asking favors already on the first post but I'm just a lurker I suppose.Been on here for a while now and learned lots of good info.

Thanks again and have a great day,Ernie

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

I bought the 2720 when it first came out it had V7.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Versions

Let's clarify some information for those that might be less knowledgeable on the subject. There are differences in 'versions'.

City Navigator (the mapset that the GPS uses to navigate you around) is not free, unless you purchased your GPS new within the past six months or so. Otherwise, you purchase it, if you want it. Garmin purchases that information from others, and needs to charge for it.

The firmware inside the GPS is presently at 4.80 I think. That is available free of charge to anyone on Garmin's website.

Mapsource (the PC-based mapping software) is presently at something like 6.12. It is also available free of charge on their website, but it also requires maps (City Navigator, City Select, or others) in order to calculate anything. Ideally, you would want the same mapset on the PC as you have on the 2720 or other portable unit, so that the routes would be transferrable.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I believe the MetroGuide North America is at V8 which is the same as City Navigator as I understand it. If I am incorrect please inform me.

The SteetPilot 2730 now has a 6.3 version available for update.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Metroguide NA is not the same as City Navigator (which is pre-loaded on the 2720)

You'll want to make sure that you get the unlock code (typically printed on a yellow card) so that you can unlock any future map upgrades.

You'll also want to make sure that the owner gives you a letter transferring ownership of the unit (referenced with its' serial number & unlock code) so that you can forward this to Garmin if you ever need to upgrade the software.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon, if it is not the same which is what I read than is it an upgraded or expanded version??? Is the City Navigator North America at V8 which is what I believe is what I downloaded to my 2730??? I am slightly confused!!!

Please enlighten Grasshopper, Master Ron!! Thanks.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Metroguide does not contain street-level routing functions and is designed for the monochrome handheld units, not the automotive-class units.

Your unit came pre-loaded with City Navigator NT and that's the only mapping software you should be using on it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks Jon, I am pretty sure I downloaded the CT NA V8 version plus the SP 2730 V6.3 Release which should be the mapping software.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
You can't download the maps, but you can download the MapSource software updates & unit firmware upgrades.

You can order the DVD for the map update, but you'll need to unlock it before you can install them on the GPS.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My first Garmin 2730 had a problem where the screen would go black, a bad light sensor. I returned it but got V8 preloaded and also I had Garmin send me the V8 DVD in case I had to reload it on my PC in the future. I also downloaded the V6.3 mapping software so I hope I got it right.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Wow - a defective Garmin unit?? What's the world coming to? :wink:

It sounds like you've got everything covered.

Remember, with the pre-loaded units, you don't load the maps from MapSource, you have to run the installation routine from the DVD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jon,thanks for the tip on the unlock code.I didn't know there was such a thing. (My first Gps)

Still havent picked it up yet because of scheduling but I know she has the manuals but hasnt found the box yet.She also mentioned she bought the mapping program to go across the US for road trips whatever that means and the external antenna.

I will be sure to get the unlock code and owner transfer written up.
Thanks so much for the info!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
xxxrider,

I found a used Garmin 2720 for sale but havent picked it up yet.Couldnt pass it up for the price.It will be my first so cant give an opinion on it but from all I have read here I knew I wanted a Garmin anyway

1 - 17 of 17 Posts