GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a new 2720 for 499. If i buy this what else do need to buy to get it installed on my wing?

·
Registered
296 Posts
ICEBRU said:
I found a new 2720 for 499. If i buy this what else do need to buy to get it installed on my wing?
Some sort of mount to secure it to the Wing in a way that you can read it while riding. I use a Touratech locking mount, secured with a RAM adapter, attached to the left handlebar. Others use a visor mount, which attaches it to the center of the visor over the dash - won't work for me as I have a vented w/s. There is also a Telexent (I think) bar that goes between both handlebars. I personally don't like the looks of that one. Some have even fashioned a mount that places the GPS down in the area of the ignition key. Personally, I like mine up near my line of sight, but not directly in front of me.

To each his own.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
RetAF said:
... which attaches it to the center of the visor over the dash - won't work for me as I have a vented w/s...
Just a point of clarification - my dash mount system does work with a vented windshield.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Garmin 2720 mounting question

I hope I am not perceived as "high-jacking this tread, but I also have a question regarding my new purchase of a 2720.

I currently use a RAM base mount to the stock S.P. III cradle.

What is the better choice for mounting the 2720? I have heard that the Garmin motorcycle mount doesn't work?

Jon's mount (goldwinggadgets.com) looks OK, but pricey (sorry Jon) and looks as though it would be in the way of the speedometer? Is there interference with a Tulsa X-tall windshield? Plus, I have to buy a power cord too, so I can hard the GPS. At least this comes with the Garmin mount for $50 or less.

Can't say I am interested in the bar mount that mounts between the handlebars.

Any and all comments suggestions are welcome!

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Catfish

I ran the MC mount with my 2610 and 2720 on my wing and on my Harley UC, no problems here, worked great.

Not saying there is not other mounts, but the Garmin MC mount work great for me....

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Re: Garmin 2720 mounting question

Catfish said:
... I have heard that the Garmin motorcycle mount doesn't work?
I don't know what you've heard, but the Garmin M/C cradle has many hundreds of thousands of miles on them with no problems. The biggest issue is that you need to make sure you engage the locking screw on the release tab or it will pop out on a hard bump.

Jon's mount (goldwinggadgets.com) looks OK, but pricey (sorry Jon) and looks as though it would be in the way of the speedometer?
No, the 26-28-class mount doesn't block the speedometer at all. The SP3 cradle typically will, as a function of the mounting points of the cradle itself. I've got an extension adapter that allows you to shift the GPS either up or down, depending on your needs.

Is there interference with a Tulsa X-tall windshield?
No, but access to the locking screw is reduced but I've made a 'knobdriver' to allow more clearance to the screw.

Plus, I have to buy a power cord too, so I can hard the GPS. At least this comes with the Garmin mount for $50 or less.
Yep - the StreetPilots do not come with any provisions for mounting or wiring it to the bike. If you don't want to hear the voice prompts, you can add the power cable by itself for $29.

Can't say I am interested in the bar mount that mounts between the handlebars.

Any and all comments suggestions are welcome!
The RAM hardware to attach the Garmin cradle to the handlebars will only set you back $36. You could also use try the EK mounting system - it's only $99 without the mounting cradle...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Re: Garmin 2720 mounting question

Thanks Jon and KYBLUE...

Looks like I'll go with the MC mount and do basically as I did with my SP III.

JON...do I still need the Garmin MC mount if I am using your bracket?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
My dash mount comes with the Garmin M/C cradle, pre-mounted to the mount. If you want to use your own cradle, you'll need to contact me to order the bare mount (and enlarge the mounting holes on the cradle slightly to allow for the SAE screws used in the mounting bushing nuts)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts