GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, thanks to this forum, I purchased a re-furbed Garmin 2720. Now I'm wondering about mounts. I know the RAM is popular, and I've done a little looking on the internet. What other types are out there? Anyone have pictures of something special? Or custom?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Greetings hmrepairs -

I have the 2720, it has served me well. I have had a couple of different mounts - but by far the best is the dash mount from Jon (a member of this Board). Here's his site, take a look, you will not be disappointed.

www.goldwinggadgets.com

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like Jon's mount, but I can't justify spending more on the mount than the unit itself. I'm thinking of building something myself. Any pictures of something custom you guys have done yourselves? I know there are alot of talented fabricators out there.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I only have heard good things about Jon's dash mount, but also can NOT justify the high cost for it. I like my ram mount too...:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I only have heard good things about Jon's dash mount, but also can NOT justify the high cost for it. I like my ram mount too...:thumbup:
:agree: +1 - Garmin m/c kit and RAM mount.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
$117 from tiger gps. Can't believe the price. Works great, but I haven't been out of town yet!
Darn good price. :thumbup: Enjoy. I can not live without one with my job...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The best most solid mount is texelent Honda Hal sells them it;s a bar very very nice no holes drilled in bike take it with to next bike when you sell it
BUT they are expensive but well worth it, four different mounting positions on the plus bar

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Ram mount user for 4 years
Haven't used other so cannot comment
happy with the adjustability of Ram

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
RAM mount & a 2720! Just can't beat the price, reliability, ease of use, and just all around handiness for a motorcycle specific, no-frills, waterproof, and vibration-proof GPS.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like this mount mounts to the handlebars if interested contact Bulldog

EK GPS MOUNT GL 1800 Fits 01 - 05 New in box! Right Side Mount

·
Registered
111 Posts
2720 Exposed connector

I presently have bikes wired with the 4 pin Garmin plug and use a Street Pilot III and a 60csx on them. If the Garmins are not attached the plugin cannot short to anything. I am wondering though about the 26xx & 27XX type plug. If the Garmin is not installed what precautions are taken to avoid blowing fuses? Just use the little white protector? Does anyone use some kind of trick connector to completely detach the Garmin connector from the bike so it is impossible to short out if the protector comes off. I'm not sure that I want to give up my Street Pilot III but I would like to start using the 2720. Since they have different connectors any trick ideas on how to have both wiring harnesses installed? A cool solution would be a male 4 pin connector such as found on the body of the Street Pilot wired to the new type Garmin plug. Whenever I wanted to use the 26xx or 27xx I would simply plug the male 4 pin connector into the existing 4 pin Garmin plug. I thought I saw the male plugs on the internet years ago but have not found them recently.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I presently have bikes wired with the 4 pin Garmin plug and use a Street Pilot III and a 60csx on them. If the Garmins are not attached the plugin cannot short to anything. I am wondering though about the 26xx & 27XX type plug. If the Garmin is not installed what precautions are taken to avoid blowing fuses? Just use the little white protector? Does anyone use some kind of trick connector to completely detach the Garmin connector from the bike so it is impossible to short out if the protector comes off. I'm not sure that I want to give up my Street Pilot III but I would like to start using the 2720. Since they have different connectors any trick ideas on how to have both wiring harnesses installed? A cool solution would be a male 4 pin connector such as found on the body of the Street Pilot wired to the new type Garmin plug. Whenever I wanted to use the 26xx or 27xx I would simply plug the male 4 pin connector into the existing 4 pin Garmin plug. I thought I saw the male plugs on the internet years ago but have not found them recently.
I have a SP III & 2720 mounted with Ram mounts, both are hot wired so they are on all the time. It's seldom I travel without the GPS's on, but when I do take them off, I ALWAYS put the white protector over the 2720 plug. The one time I didn't, at a car wash, in unfamiliar country, I blew a fuse...fortunatly the SP III worked so I was able to find my way back to civilization.

Sleddog

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I presently have bikes wired with the 4 pin Garmin plug and use a Street Pilot III and a 60csx on them. If the Garmins are not attached the plugin cannot short to anything. I am wondering though about the 26xx & 27XX type plug. If the Garmin is not installed what precautions are taken to avoid blowing fuses? Just use the little white protector? Does anyone use some kind of trick connector to completely detach the Garmin connector from the bike so it is impossible to short out if the protector comes off. .
With the Garmin motorcycle mount that's for the 26xx/27xx/28xx series, it has a slot in the mount that you slide the power connector into when you remove the GPS so it can't short out on anything.

As far as mounting options go, I've have had two setups.

Here is the Edset spacestation mount

This is what I'm using now.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
well, thanks to this forum, I purchased a re-furbed Garmin 2720. Now I'm wondering about mounts. I know the RAM is popular, and I've done a little looking on the internet. What other types are out there? Anyone have pictures of something special? Or custom?

Heres the mount I use and have used for well over 200,000
miles and 3 totaled Wings.

http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/tt26.html

I use Part # 065-0066 $134.70 it is bullet proof I/we
tested in in 3 crashs.

Then you plug a (Y) adaptor in to you left pocket power
plug and run the plug outside so you can plug your the
external speaker into it. Use velcro on the speaker and
pocket lid and your done. Go riding and have FUN"

The 2720 is Garmins first motorcycle GPS so the
speaker is plenty loud, even at 100MPH and the
stereo turned up theres no problem hearing it.

I hope this helps ya"

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Here is what I use for years now power cord included
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Motorcycle-Mount-StreetPilot-010-10495-00/dp/B0000ESZV4[/ame]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts