GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you guys that have the Garmin 2730 Mounting the Antenna for the XM radio. I want to be able to remove it to place in the car. That thing is $200.00 so I don't really want to buy one for every vehicle. I'm sure you Know what I mean. Thanks

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
I put mine up on top of the dash under the windshield.

I'm using Jon's Dashmount ( http://www.goldwinggadgets.com ) for the 2730 so it provides a nice steel plate on the dashboard for the GXM-30 to attach to magnetically.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I put mine in the right pocket...no problems with reception. Sometimes I'll take it out of the pocket and just lay it on top of the right cover...also no issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used a standard RAM mount with a special flat plate bracket that holds the XM Radio receiver (the receiver is actually in the "hockey puck" with the wires feeding the output into the GPS I believe).

I used a piece of velcro on the bottom of the plate to hold the cable bundle up against the underside of the plate but pulled it loose for the photos. You can see the velcro wrap around the cable in the photos. Makes a neater installation that way.

[/img]

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Littlebeeper said:
Where are you guys mounting the Antenna for the XM radio.
I'm using the same V&P dash mount for my 478 that I used for the 2730. I glued a section of steel plate to the top of the mount and just stick the antenna to it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I use the dash carpet with a pocket in it for radar detector. It is made by J&M and maybe others. I have the EK mount. Works great and is easy to remove to put in the cage.

·
Registered
17,144 Posts
I put a piece of HD velcro on my dash dead center under the vent and the corresponding part on the back of the XM "antenna". Works like a charm and is easy to remove, but stays put rock solid.

You can not switch XM "antennas" on these units willy-nilly un less you have a subscription for each "antenna" -- you see, the hocky puck sized unit has the XM receiver built into it -- tht is why it is so much larger than other "antennas". Sure works great! So does the MP-3. GREAT product!

prs

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I was too cheap to buy one, so I made one. Got a hunk of Plexiglas (black, 1/8 inch thick, four bits from a glass shop for about ten times what I needed), drug out the heat gun and bent it around a piece of half inch pipe. That would snap onto the dash. Then took a scrap of old 12 gauge sheet iron (think it used to be a fender) bent it up and glued it to the plastic. That was because I needed something to hold the XM antenna magnet to. Then screwed the XM motorcycle mount that I had to buy to it, and put it into place. Only cute part was had to take the windshield off to drill a hole to get the wiring thru.

This was before painting it black to hide my mistakes....

Now, to move the GPS to the car, I just undo the screw that holds the 2730 in the bracket on the bike (that little thing that looks like a plug on the top of the GPS mount in the picture), unplug the power cord and the audio cord, and pack the GPS with antenna still plugged in to the car, put it in the regular (beanbag) mount, plug in the cigarette lighter plug with speaker, and set it on the dash.

Added note - used another piece of that Plexiglas and the heat gun to make the sun shade. Those Garmin's suck for screen washout in the sun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts