GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finding conflicting documentation on whether or not the 2730 is waterproof or not. Garmin's website doesn't really say either way and some of the online vendors have conflicting data. Does anyone know for sure. I would hate to buy one and get it wet and ruin it. I may buy the Zumo but the deals on the 2730 are pretty good right now. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It's as waterproof as any of them are (including the Zumo) - it's rated to IPx7 which means it will survive immersion in up to one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

Garmin has commented in the past that 'rain doesn't equal immersion' but for the most part, you'll be fine with that unit on the bike.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
You know they say these Garmin 26xx and 27xx series are supposed to be waterproof but since my 2610 was exposed to a week of riding in the rain last June at Cats Cade and Americade, I have had moisture under my screen from time to time. When the unit gets warmed up the moisture will show up under the screen and then go away and lately it comes and goes and then comes back, so there is moisture trapped inside of the unit. My friend has had the same problem with his 2730.

I think I have fixed my 2610 by riding around with the CF memory card compartment door open to let the moisture vent out of the unit. The 2730 units don't have a opening so I guess you would have to send that unit back to Garmin. Anyways maybe it's a good idea to avoid exposing these Garmin 26x/27xx series units to the rain and cover then up with some plastic wrap when it's raining. I will be covering mine up in the rain from now on.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the 2730 and had read that it was waterproof but then I road Labor Day on the Cherohala Skyway & the Blue Ridge Parkway and went thru rainstorms and forgot to put the front cover on or put on some plastic bags to cover it and later on the next week I started seeing moisture underneath the screen. It would go away after being out in the sun for awhile so in the future I will keep it covered while riding in the rain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts