GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Check for manufacture refurbished units on eBay and Garmin store...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yep this is not the place to find good deals on the 2797.

A few months ago refurb 2797 could be had for $190 (I bought one at that price).

But nowadays seems $209 is the norm for refurbs and $249 for new.

Hope this helps,
Andy

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
For those that have a 2797 or 2757, do you feel its too big or a good size. I'm about to buy one but going from a 5" to 7" screen is a big jump.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
For those that have a 2797 or 2757, do you feel its too big or a good size. I'm about to buy one but going from a 5" to 7" screen is a big jump.
I had a 7200 on my 2004 wing.. Loved it easy to read even in down pours wish garmin had not discontinued it

·
Registered
693 Posts
I like the large size. It will pose some mounting challenges. I took Greg's approach and added ram balls to the dash trim.

You do lose view of the tach and some of the idiot lights but having the screen closer to your line of sight is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I have only used my 2797 around town, but so far I like it, a lot. It is large enough to see with just a glance. I do not have to look at it to find what I need to know. This was a problem with the 50LM I was using.

I could not locate a RAM holder for it, so I had a local holster maker fashion one out of Kydex. I supplied a RAM diamond shaped ball plate, and he bolted it to the rear of the holder. It is attached atop the clutch resivoir

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have only used my 2797 around town, but so far I like it, a lot. It is large enough to see with just a glance. I do not have to look at it to find what I need to know. This was a problem with the 50LM I was using.

I could not locate a RAM holder for it, so I had a local holster maker fashion one out of Kydex. I supplied a RAM diamond shaped ball plate, and he bolted it to the rear of the holder. It is attached atop the clutch resivoir

Glad you are enjoying the 2797. It is a nice unit and I wouldn't navigate without mine.

Keep an eye on the clutch reservoir mount if you are using the cap to fasten the ram ball. There have been some reports of the 2 cap screws experiencing fatigue failure from larger units mounted to the cap.

Best,
Andy

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Was not aware of the potential problem. I got the RAM mount that uses longer screws and spacers between it and the reservoir, with a ball on the end.

I have seen the cases for the 2797, but I wanted it before a short trip (which got canceled), and I could get Jason to mold one for me the same day. Besides, he had never done anything but guns, and looked forward to the new experience.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Was not aware of the potential problem. I got the RAM mount that uses longer screws and spacers between it and the reservoir, with a ball on the end.

I have seen the cases for the 2797, but I wanted it before a short trip (which got canceled), and I could get Jason to mold one for me the same day. Besides, he had never done anything but guns, and looked forward to the new experience.
Sorry for the confusion.

The handlebar mount via the clamp mount is good. I did replace the plastic spacers with aluminum ones as I found the plastic compressed and the clamp loosened.

What I was referring to is the setup that mounts to the reservoir cap itself. With enough weight and vibration the cap screws can fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts