GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with this combination. I've activated the GMX-30 with XM and the radio reception works fine on all channels, just the way it's supposed to. I aslo asked XM to activate my free trial subscription to XM NavTraffic. However, when I select Traffic Receiver on the 2820 it says "Please connect traffic receiver to StreetPilot". The traffic receiver is supposed to be built into the GXM-30 antenna, and since Im receiving XM Radio, the antenna must be connected to the 2820. Because the 2820 says the Traffic Receiver isn't connected, I cant get anything else about the traffic receiver to display on the 2820. I've gone through the book several times and tried to follow the somewhat vague instructions for adding traffic, with no success. I've even tried refreshing the unit at XM radio..., but nothing. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. I haven't tried phoning Garmin Support, as it's Sunday and they are closed..., and I find that there are better answers to most problems right here <smile>

Thanks...

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I did not know that the GXM30 antenna in it. Thats good to hear. I dont have the traffic on my 376. Go thru all the pages on the GPS and make sure you have all the proper tabs in the right place. Or just call Garmin. They will make it work for sure.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Garmin 2820, GXM 30 - Problem Solved

BrianH said:
I'm having a problem with this combination.
Problem solved!

There was nothing wrong with the hardware, or my setting things up. Apparently when I caled XM to activate the free trial for XM NavTraffic, the customer service rep didn't seem to understand the "free trial" part of it, and made out the activation order, but because I wasn't going to be PAYING for it she didn't bother submitting it for activation. I spoke with another customer service rep this morning, and she saw the problem right away..., she DID understand the "free trial" part of it, and submitted the order for me. Within 10 minutes I had traffic and weather on my GPS.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey Brian,
I see you are in Toronto and am wondering if you subscribed to XM Canada or XM USA as I didn't think XM Canada offered NavTraffic and weather.

·
Name Tag Guy
6,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ron Leonard said:
Hey Brian,
I see you are in Toronto and am wondering if you subscribed to XM Canada or XM USA as I didn't think XM Canada offered NavTraffic and weather.
My XM subscription is through XM US, since I spend winters in Florida. Since the weather and traffic areas covered are all in the US (for now), I'd guess XM Canada doesn't offer it, even although the signals all come from the same sattelite. Where I spend winters in the Tampa Bay area, the coverage is pretty good, so I find it useful. For some reason, all lot of companies, such as XM and Honda, dont understand "cross border" travel, and cant figure out why, if you lived in one country, you need or want anything to geared for the OTHER country.

If you're already subscribed to XM in Canada, I guess you're stuck with it. But if you're just thinking about it, I think you'd be better off subscribing to XM US for a variety of reasons. When I originally subscribed, XM wasn't available in Canada (legally), so XM US was my only option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts