GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this might sound like a dumb question but I don't know and have otherwise performed a search on the forum threads for the answer and have had unsuccessful results:

If I owned a Garmin 2820, a Garmin GPS that has an MP3 player built inside and a line out jack, just how do I, or what components do I need to, hook it up so that the MP3s play in full stereo sound through my existing car stereo? Do you get one of those audio-connection cassettes...? Is one included? I certainly want to take advantage of my car's significant amplifier, bass and treble controls instead of piping it through a tinny combo power/voice cord such as I have on my SPIII. Anyway, its on-line manual did not indicate how this is accomplished. The advertisements only say [one can] "Send audio to the car stereo through the 3.5 mm stereo headphone/line-out plug." OK, what do you plug the OTHER end of that into? :shock:

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The 2820 does not include an on-board FM modulator so you'll have to connect something the audio output jack on the left side of the unit.

If your car has a cassette tape player, you can buy a cassette adapter unit (it's not included in the box). If you don't have a tape player and your car audio unit doesn't have an AUX input for an MP3 player, you can either have one added at a car stereo shop (if your vehicle is new enough) or you can use a wired FM modulator. This will typically be installed under the dash and would have an audio input pigtail that you would plug into the GPS and it would then inject your music/voice prompts into an unused FM channel on the stereo.

If you don't care about high-quality audio, you can always use the mono speaker built into the power supply adapter. :shock:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jon. I DO have a cassette in my car and have used it for my XM Roady2 and a Creative Jukebox MP3 player. Probably either of those "dedicated" cassettes will work with the Zumo (the unit I'm really talking about here) because otherwise they both have the standard 3.5mm or 1/8" plug. But I didn't realize you could third-party in another Aux input or a wireless FM modulator in your car (guess I don't think out of the box!).

Anyway, then I should be all set. I appreciate that! Actually, I still wonder why this hook-up reference ISN'T mentioned in the 2820 manual I read online..... And yeah, who would want to use the mono speaker in the power supply for music; especially after shelling out the big bucks for the GPS?!

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
mbresso said:
...Actually, I still wonder why this hook-up reference ISN'T mentioned in the 2820 manual I read online..... And yeah, who would want to use the mono speaker in the power supply for music; especially after shelling out the big bucks for the GPS?!
It's not in the vendor's best interest to point out their shortcomings or deficiencies in their manuals or sales literature.

I can see it now...

• This unit stores up to 10,000 track points (but each track log only holds 1,000 track entries and the unit won't tell you when your current log file is full so you can start another log)
    This unit includes an integrated MP3 player (but the music storage space is shared memory also used for storing custom POI files, additional user maps and voice files. This free space is typically less than 800MB before these additional files are utilized)
For some reason, manufacturers don't want to emphasize their potential shortcomings or weak points :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jon said:
mbresso said:
...Actually, I still wonder why this hook-up reference ISN'T mentioned in the 2820 manual I read online..... And yeah, who would want to use the mono speaker in the power supply for music; especially after shelling out the big bucks for the GPS?!
It's not in the vendor's best interest to point out their shortcomings or deficiencies in their manuals or sales literature.

I can see it now...

• This unit stores up to 10,000 track points (but each track log only holds 1,000 track entries and the unit won't tell you when your current log file is full so you can start another log)
    This unit includes an integrated MP3 player (but the music storage space is shared memory also used for storing custom POI files, additional user maps and voice files. This free space is typically less than 800MB before these additional files are utilized)
For some reason, manufacturers don't want to emphasize their potential shortcomings or weak points :)
Got ya! :wink:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, the 2730 has a built-in FM modulator according to the Manual and you just dial your FM radio to a frequency without a station assigned to it and it comes thru wirelessly. I have used it but it comes and goes and does not have a consistent sound or volume so I quit using it (didn't need it anyway as I have XM Radio in the car).

The 2820 is supposed to be the same way but I could be wrong. By the way I have my XM Radio in both my Lincoln Navigator and BMW 740I wired into my radio via a wired FM modulator and it sound GREAT!!! I may see if I can get another pigtail wired into it so I can hook up my 30 gig IPOD. You just gave me a great suggestion without realizing it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.