GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question on these 2 GPS units

To me it looks like the only difference is the blue tooth capability that the 2820 has over the 2730.

Are there other differences that i am missing?

the reason i am asking is that garmins site has the original price of the 2730 being $200 more than the 2820.

Next question is do they both plug into the aux jack on the bike?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Bartman

What are some of the options for mounting the 2820?

the getfeetwet site was not clear on which mount to use for the 2820.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The 2820 and 2730 share the same housing accessories. About the only difference is the bluetooth on the 2820 and FM transmitter (it's worthless) on the 2730.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
It just depends on how you want to mount the GPS.

My preference in right in the center of the dash. Jon at GoldwingGadgets.com makes the mount. It's just below your line of sight so it's not too distracting and helps you maintain your SA.

Here is a picture of mine:

Like CJS mentioned, you can also check out GoldwingGadgets for different solutions.

If you decide on the dash mount, get in contact with Jon and he'll hook you up with everything you need to give you a very professional look.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I had a 2730 on my '03 using the same mount as Bartman shows. It's really the best mounting option in my humble opinion.:yes1:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input so far

Went ahead and ordered the 2820 today. $245 for a new one not refurbished $30 more than refurb'd but feel a little more confident since it comes for sure with the disks.

I am definitely confused on the hook ups through the aux connection about wether the music should go through that connection.

Have not decided on a mount yet, I really like the dash mount seems like being in the center is the best location for viewing and wiring.
(I am just cheap and don't want to spend $165 on a mount. this is according to my wife she says only $165 and why are we discussing this. I am a lucky guy.)

She says why would you want it mounted on the handle bars where you take your eyes off the road to see it.

Looking forward to downloading the maps from Bartman for the June ride.

One of the things we like to do is hunt down waterfalls and hike to them some of them have gps coordinates to the parking lot so that will be another learning.

also need to figure out how to put the cell phone through the GPS not that i chat on the phone but being able to have someone get hold of you is very handy at times. If no more than give me a few minutes till i can pull over and talk

So thanks again for the input

Bart I am pretty sure you don't remember me but we met briefly at Rockies Gold 2007

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Thanks for the input so far

Went ahead and ordered the 2820 today. $245 for a new one not refurbished $30 more than refurb'd but feel a little more confident since it comes for sure with the disks.

I am definitely confused on the hook ups through the aux connection about wether the music should go through that connection.

Have not decided on a mount yet, I really like the dash mount seems like being in the center is the best location for viewing and wiring.
(I am just cheap and don't want to spend $165 on a mount. this is according to my wife she says only $165 and why are we discussing this. I am a lucky guy.)

She says why would you want it mounted on the handle bars where you take your eyes off the road to see it.

Looking forward to downloading the maps from Bartman for the June ride.

One of the things we like to do is hunt down waterfalls and hike to them some of them have gps coordinates to the parking lot so that will be another learning.

also need to figure out how to put the cell phone through the GPS not that i chat on the phone but being able to have someone get hold of you is very handy at times. If no more than give me a few minutes till i can pull over and talk

So thanks again for the input

Bart I am pretty sure you don't remember me but we met briefly at Rockies Gold 2007
LOL!!! I met so many people at RG that my head is still spinning! :eek:4:

Putting the cell phone though the GPS is easy if your phone supports Bluetooth. All you have to do it "pair" them. Then, if you get a call, you just press "Ignore" on the GPS screen. You can then go to your call history on the GPS and look as see who called. This what I do. If the call is important, I'll pull over and call them back or listen to the voice mail. Otherwise, I just wait till the next stop.

The mount is the big decision. Once you have that figured out, you need a wiring harness. But first you have to decide what your primary music source will be. I primarily listen to XM or the MP3's I have stored on the GPS. If that's the way you'll listen to music, then you'll want to wire everything up through the AUX input on the bike.

If you're only going to listen to AM/FM or an MP3 player, then that (MP3) will play though the AUX, but you'll need a Kennedy interface to tell the MP3 player to mute so you can hear the voice prompts from the GPS. You can also have the voice prompts play though the intercom. You just have to have the intercom active to hear the prompts.

Decide what you want to do and then contact Jon at GoldwingGadgets. He'll get you hooked up with everything you need as far as wiring and the necessary interfaces.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 2730 comes with the GXM-30 XM receiver (new in the box). The 2820 does not, which accounts for the $200 difference. I went with the 2820 and found a great deal on the GXM-30 a few months later. The 2820's Bluetooth capability is the other "real" difference between the two models.

XM / Sirius radio in in a state of flux right now. Take a look at the posts on that subject before you make your ultimate decision.

Brennon

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2820 I ordered showed up Friday I think I am going to like it:lol: The only other GPS I have used is a C330 or some cheaper garmin model that doesn't have nearly this much capability.

Mapsource is not very intuitive to operate:cry: but after a hour (maybe 2 I am slow) or so I have the basics figured out and successfully created a route.:lol:

Downloaded Bartmans routes and some from sunday morning rides. seemed to go okay.

About how many routes can you put in before memory fills up??

I like the function of it going over to google maps that is pretty neat.

Tried to move some music over but failed at that so far I am sure it is a simple mistake. only one try thus far. since I know it is pretty simple will work on that some other time. more concerned about learning to map routes and the best way to do that.

How much room is there for music files?

I am interested in learning more about the POI downloads this is where I need some help.
Are they worth downloading?
What do they do for me.

Using bluetooth with phone is it as simple as hooking up the aux to the 2820?? I don't see how your voice would go back through headset to the aux jack.

I am still waiting on a wiring harness I ordered with the unit to show up.

Still waiting to make a final decision on mounting. The C330 I had cable tied to the handlebar. Talk about hillbilly mounting:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts