GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My ignorance is hanging out again. I found a Garmin 350LM at GPSCity for $500. Comes with lots of stuff to hook it up with. I think. It says it is "Bluetooth" enabled, but I can't find anything that says I can hook it up to my corded headset. Trying to get the right GPS has become damned near as difficult for me as finding the right helmet. Is the 350LM a good unit? Is there a better buy for more or less money?

As I understand it, in order to listen to voice commands from the GPS in my Nolan corded helmet, I have to have (1) the GPS unit connected to the battery or some other source (not the cigarette lighter in the left pocket), and (2) another hook up cable to my AUX system. Is that correct? Is there a "Hooking up electric stuff on a Goldwing for Dummies"? I really need some down to the lowest level education.

Chief

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Yes...that is correct. The audio will work using the aux cord plugged into your GPS. I use a Garmin Nuvi 50LM and it works just fine for me at $150.

Hope this helps. Make sure when connecting to the battery that you use an in-line fuse to protect your bike and your GPS.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
I would get power from outlet in left fairing pocket, just plug it in, do NOT cut and splice any wires unless you know exactly what your doing or you might ruin the GPS :eek:4:

to make it able to talk through headset plug it into auxiliary hookup also located in left fairing pocket, turn on the headset and the AUX button next to radio controls and it should work, sounds complicated but once u get it figured out its not that difficult

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
This unit does have the headphone/line out 1/8 inch jack to plug into the Goldwing

It is waterproof, thus the unreal price

It is the same basic $79 nuvi, with the main difference being waterproof

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The Garmin unit comes with a generic power and audio harness in the box. Like others said, you can hook that into your aux and power outlets at the left pocket and it will work. You can then hear the GPS in your corded helmet with the GL1800 audio system set to AUX.

Search the board for Kennedy CellSet which is a very nifty but not thrifty device with a souped up switchable connection into the bike's AUX and/or INT circuits plus options for other sources. That then frees up the Bluetooth circuit in the GPS (or will it do two concurrently??) to connect to your phone, which you can then get through your helmet too.
EDITED TO ADD: that works for many models but maybe not the 350, see post #7.

Another thing you can do is use a Bluetooth headset to hook to the Zumo audio & mic direct from the helmet, skipping the bike circuit for audio but you'd still need to wire it in for power.

There are other ways to wire into your INT system (required to use the mic for calls) or as a supplemental audio source via some aftermarket audio stuff.

From what I've seen, sometimes that all works just great. When it doesn't, common problems are whiny noise (search for ground loop isolator) and lousy mic out on phone (known issues with corded GL to 66x series, not sure about 350, and the CellSet seems to bypass that)/

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have the same unit...great unit does every thing well except there is no phone in or out on this unit...as long as you don't care about the phone issue it is a great unit. My problem is I use a I Phone and the Garmin and bring them into my headset,( Scala Rider ) both of these devices use the same technology to bluetooth...problem is the Scala rider throws one or the other off and will only allow one at a time...Sooooo I had to use the Scala unit for the I Phone and a LG Tone for the GPS.....hope this helps... Garmin just update to a 390 that is complete! albeit more expensive

1 - 7 of 7 Posts