GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new GPS and have decided on the Garmin brand, assuming these will work the best with Garmin's Basecamp application.
The 396 seems very reasonable for about $270 but the 595 is bigger, both in screen size and price ($550 more or less). Quite a price bump for a little more screen real estate.
I'm sure anyone who has purchased in the last year or less has gone through this dilemma, so can you give me thoughts on one versus the other? I'll spend double the money if it is worth it but I'm not convinced it is, and wonder if I wouldn't be perfectly happy with the smaller 396.

·
Administrator
4,170 Posts
Drair. I got the 396 & took it on our trip to AK & back. 11K miles, never missed a beat. The smaller screen didn't bother me. I think you have to decide how you're going to use your GPS. Constantly on the road? Now & then? The 396 downloaded the entire AK trip with no hickups. Bluetooth directions right to my head-set. But it's been saqid that I'm a bit of a tightwad also.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I had this dilemma a year ago before I bought a Wing with Navi. I ended up with the 396. What hung me up was tire pressure monitoring that the 595 has but the 396 does not. However, that required buying the Garmin valve stem caps that cost more than the FOBO system puts an app on your phone. I was gonna go with those and the 396. Never ended up using it (sold it), but I wanted to share this in case TPMS is a factor.

·
Canuck
2,807 Posts
Here are two comparisons.

Garmin Zumo 595 vs 396 There is a comparison of the two after each one is described.

"Based on the review above, we can conclude that Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S has a bit better performance. However, Garmin Zumo 595LM is more enjoyable. So, you have to decide the more ideal option with your considerations and preferences."

Reactions: Drair

·
Registered
2,850 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If you don't need Garmin tpms, I've seen 396's on Ebay for around $250 or less.
I run a 390 (with tpms) and the 4.3 screen works for me. It's mounted on the clutch reservoir cap.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the 396 mounted on the clutch side. I can see it okay but I would rather the 5 inch screen. I didn't want to spend $500 to $600 for a GPS so I went with the 396 from The GPS Store. On sale it was $230.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I bought the 395 after the 396 came out. The 395 does provide TPMS and the package closeout price with the sensors was the big reason for me. I also have on the bars. It has done everything I wanted and is capable of much more. But I agree with others. If you want to have it on the dash (using a Yoda mount for example) the bigger screen is probably a better choice. Bear in mind though that it's easier to use the on screen buttons without having to reach forward. Also think about how often you might use it in an auto and how far away it would be to see or operate.

BTW. Ed Conde (a member here) has a fantastic tutorial on Garmin Basecamp. Check out his info on the New England Riders web site.

Reactions: Drair

·
Canuck
2,807 Posts
I have the 396 mounted on the clutch side. I can see it okay but I would rather the 5 inch screen. I didn't want to spend $500 to $600 for a GPS so I went with the 396 from The GPS Store. On sale it was $230.
WJ - if you were going to do it again, which GPS would you buy? Would you spend the $$$ for the larger screen?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
^ depends on your eyesight and/or Rx lenses.

Also don't discount the value of some of the newer features. zumos tend to be a generation or two behind the car devices. On top of that, something like a 595 is already two generations old (596 and XT). It's almost the Windows equivalent of XP. You may not care, but things like text alerts and voice commands and stuff matter to some.

If I was thrifty and handy, I'd hack a car device (Google "Greg Rice nuvi 2797" though perhaps use a newer device). Just thrifty, a 396 -- as long as BT only is OK and eyesight is tolerable. Not having to $kimp, don't fuss around, get the XT.

EDIT: brain fart above re 590/595/596 corrected a few posts down. /EDIT

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
I bigger screen is better for seeing, absolutely, but it's also better for tapping the right areas of the screen with gloves on. Bigger screen, bigger buttons/controls. Even with great eyesight, I'd say bigger is better. I don't think you'd ever regret getting the bigger one but you might regret getting the smaller one.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
595 is obsolete. Avoid.
Look at zumo XT.
396 is great. If $ aren't critical, XT is greater.
All work with BaseCamp. Learn it here Learn BaseCamp – New England Riders
I took a quick look and the XT appears larger and cheaper than the 595. Wonder why? It also comes preloaded with topo map in addition to North America.
I think I skipped over it initially b/c it sounded like it would be totally aimed at the dirtroad/adventure crowd, something I absolutely want to avoid in the GW. But if it can be programmed to avoid those might be a nice unit. I'll have to look at it further.
There are a lot of vendors still selling the 595, too, so perhaps it's not quite as behind as you stated.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Hmm, electronics getting cheaper and better over time. Strange phenomenon.

Navigation > Avoidances > Unpaved roads. That's been a feature since Windows 95.

My brain mis-fired. I confused zumo 595 with 590, and imagined a 596 (doesn't exist) which is really the 595. So to be more accurate, the 595 is a generation newer than when I bashed it above (2016 vintage not 2014) but still behind because of the zumo--nuvi lag. So let's call it Win 7 or 8.

It's still obsolete, lots of vendors or not. 595 has a line out and XT doesn't, it's BT only. Off the top of my head, not sure if XT does TPMS support, check if that matters to you. XT is otherwise superior in every way, including waterproof and shock ratings, screen daylight readable, etc. And cheaper. Player's choice.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Is there a way to get a line out on the XT? I don't have Bluetooth and would like to listen to the music I have on an SD card In my old 665. If not, I guess if I want to upgrade my only choice would be the 595.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there a way to get a line out on the XT? I don't have Bluetooth and would like to listen to the music I have on an SD card In my old 665. If not, I guess if I want to upgrade my only choice would be the 595.
With no line out but Bt, you could use this: TROND V5.0 Rx/Tx Bt device. Takes your line in feed and puts it out there for the Bt to capture. It’s an option anyway, even if not an eloquent solution.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
With no line out but Bt, you could use this: TROND V5.0 Rx/Tx Bt device. Takes your line in feed and puts it out there for the Bt to capture. It’s an option anyway, even if not an eloquent solution.
Thanks. I looked on Amazon and there's a newer version of it. I'll have to think about an XL and adding the receiver and power for it. I may just keep looking for a 595 as sunlight isn't a big problem since I have the top on the Stallion. Some of the used ones on eBay can be had reasonable.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts