GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
WJ - if you were going to do it again, which GPS would you buy? Would you spend the $$$ for the larger screen?
No. For as much as I use the unit I can't see spending that amount of money on a GPS. I have a Tom Tom 6" screen for my cars/truck, it's the Go 620 and I only paid $167. for that unit. Just before I bought mine I bought the same unit for my son for a Christmas present, from Tom Tom on their sale, and I paid $114 for his.

I have a mount for an older 5" screen Tomtom 2015 unit that will fit the clutch area and I used that in the past. I bought the Garmin for the hills and curves settings that you can do with it and Tomtom didn't do that. They have a unit for bikes but that one it $440 and I wouldn't pay that much for a Gps. I'm cheap!!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
The Garmin 396 LTM-S works just fine for me......kind of like the smaller screen, doesn't look so ominous.
I use the Wing GPS for the simple stuff and ride location.........the 396 and/or Carplay maps for routes and more complicated stuff.

The combo works fine for me.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If you don't need Garmin tpms, I've seen 396's on Ebay for around $250 or less.
I run a 390 (with tpms) and the 4.3 screen works for me. It's mounted on the clutch reservoir cap.

This is it. Finally got around to taking a shot of it. The shade is perfect on a 4.3 screen. It's this:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Just for reference, I have a Zumo 595 and used it on my previous wing and I also went for the TPMS from Garmin. It was pricey but worked VERY well. Both the 595 and the TPMS. I still use the 595 for my work travel at times and in my cars as I like the system much better than the car systems. But I sold the TPMS system and recouped 80% of what I paid for it. I won't go into Apple car play that I like very well on the new 2018 GW. Back on subject. The 595 works well and with other countries loaded maps, works well out of the country also. Not sure if you have a need for that, just throwing it in. With an SD card, the 595 holds all of North America plus all of Europe and Iceland. And a few other islands/countries.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Just for reference, I have a Zumo 595 and used it on my previous wing and I also went for the TPMS from Garmin. It was pricey but worked VERY well. Both the 595 and the TPMS. I still use the 595 for my work travel at times and in my cars as I like the system much better than the car systems. But I sold the TPMS system and recouped 80% of what I paid for it. I won't go into Apple car play that I like very well on the new 2018 GW. Back on subject. The 595 works well and with other countries loaded maps, works well out of the country also. Not sure if you have a need for that, just throwing it in. With an SD card, the 595 holds all of North America plus all of Europe and Iceland. And a few other islands/countries.
A bit misleading... The 595 will hold all those maps without an SD card too. The maps are stored in the GPS internal memory, not the SD card. I use the SD card for my music and routes I create in BaseCamp.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
View attachment 369548

Justin, do you have a link for that reservoir cap plate? I have been looking for one of those . . .

This is it. Finally got around to taking a shot of it. The shade is perfect on a 4.3 screen. It's this:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Buy the XT! It is sooooo much better than the 595!
Do you have the XT? (Or, for anyone who knows). If so, it hypes the Garmin Drive App for access to live traffic, live weather, parking, and traffic cameras. The weather sounds useful so I'm wondering if that is a paid subscription or just something you end up streaming from your connected cellphone? The Garmin XT sales literature says nothing about that.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I do have the XT! I love ❤ it!! The Garmin Drive App is free to download. I have not used it yet so I can’t comment . . . however, it does look impressive!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Do you have the XT? (Or, for anyone who knows). If so, it hypes the Garmin Drive App for access to live traffic, live weather, parking, and traffic cameras. The weather sounds useful so I'm wondering if that is a paid subscription or just something you end up streaming from your connected cellphone?
The 595 also has those features of weather radar map overlay, traffic updates etc.. I used the feature one year and while it worked well, I remember thinking I didn't want to keep paying for it. Especially in the winter. Plus with older age, I can't remember what I paid. It did work well coming back through Atlanta late one night. We came through at 10:00pm trying to miss the traffic and I started getting pop up updates on traffic delays ahead. It would say 15 min delay ahead. Then 10 mins later it would say 35 min delay ahead. Finally took another route around Atlanta. Also would overlay the weather radar on the screen. Helped us dodge heavy thunderstorms coming back up through Florida from Key West. Long story short, the 595 has that too, the XT is newer and probably better, and my memory continues to suck. If I was buying now, I'd buy the XT for the newer tech or at least investigate it well. I bought this 595 when it first came out, so I've had it several years and still use it for travel mostly in rental cars etc. Below is from a Rider Magazine review of the 595.

In order to take full advantage of the 595LM’s capabilities, you should also pair it to your smartphone and Bluetooth helmet headset. Pairing it to your phone not only allows you to get phone notifications and pick up calls directly on the GPS, it also allows you to get real-time traffic and weather data and stream Pandora, Spotify or music stored on your phone.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I replaced a dim old screen Streetpilot 2730 that judt didn't have the space for maps anymore with a 396. Then we took a trip from Knoxville to the Grand Canyon and back via US70 and US60. The thing rebooted and lost the route twice, said I was in the middle of a field once (old road and latest maps), and I had to unpair it with my phone and headset as it was taking over everything. It has no hard-wired audio output, so after the trip I found a 12volt powered Bluetooth receiver that I mounted in the fairing of our '06 and connected to Aux in. You learn that the motorcycle setting overrides any routes you load - set it for automobile. I think the software was designed for adventure bike riders that want the GPS to think for them. If it had a bright screen and bigger or expandable memory, I'd go to another Streetpilot. Oh yeah, battery life is terrible, and the mount doesn't lock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the market for a new GPS and have decided on the Garmin brand, assuming these will work the best with Garmin's Basecamp application.
The 396 seems very reasonable for about $270 but the 595 is bigger, both in screen size and price ($550 more or less). Quite a price bump for a little more screen real estate.
I'm sure anyone who has purchased in the last year or less has gone through this dilemma, so can you give me thoughts on one versus the other? I'll spend double the money if it is worth it but I'm not convinced it is, and wonder if I wouldn't be perfectly happy with the smaller 396.
Yea ,I have the 396 and I really like it . I think I paid $240 for mine on Amazon but it it amazing everything that it does . I just wish it was a little easier to plan trips on . Sometimes I just let it plan the roads and it does a pretty good job finding curvy , hilly roads if you have it set up right...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm in the market for a new GPS and have decided on the Garmin brand, assuming these will work the best with Garmin's Basecamp application.
The 396 seems very reasonable for about $270 but the 595 is bigger, both in screen size and price ($550 more or less). Quite a price bump for a little more screen real estate.
I'm sure anyone who has purchased in the last year or less has gone through this dilemma, so can you give me thoughts on one versus the other? I'll spend double the money if it is worth it but I'm not convinced it is, and wonder if I wouldn't be perfectly happy with the smaller 396.
I bought a 396 LMT-s for my 05 Wing to replace my Street Pilot 2720. Before I even had a chance to mount it I bought a 2018 Goldwing DCT used and he had a Zumo already installed. This 396 was never mounted but it is an open box. Every thing is still there and I will be selling it for $200 if interested. [email protected]

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Can you pair a set of blue tooth ear buds to the 396?
I'm sure you can. I paired mine with a cheap Bluetooth receiver that is connected to my '06 AUX input because I would rather hear it over the bike's speakers it auto reconnects now every time I power it up. It did not play well with my Sena SMH5 however, it somehow blocked all other SMH5 use (intercom, phone).

21 - 38 of 38 Posts