GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garmin seem to have done their homework with the new 590. I've had one for a week and find it works as advertised, which hasn't always been case for new Garmin offerings.

Bluetooth integration (in my case, iPhone 4S and Schuberth SRC) has been flawless so far, and the wiring harness has provision for wired connections, including USB. The functionality of the Smartlink program is excellent, with weather and traffic available on the fly. The display is readable in bright sunlight, even with my sun visor down, and the processor is, cough, somewhat faster than my elderly 2610.

So far, the only difficulties encountered have been caused by operator error, such as when I wasn't able to browse the music collection in my phone because I didn't have the correct box ticked in the appropriate menu. Pay careful attention to the presence of up or down down arrows, indicating the existence of more menu options.

Having valve-cap-type tire pressure sensors isn't my first choice, but it's nice to have another option for the day when my Smartire TPMS gives up the ghost, as well as having one less gadget on the instrument panel. If they do leak, you'll know about it.

Now all I have to do is tease out the mysteries of Basecamp...

hansong

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Just picked up one of these for my wife's NT700V. Very nice system. We're running it with the TPMS and it too is pretty slick with lbs/in down to 0.01 increments and an 8 hour and 5 day pressure graph for each sensor. She can now control her music, get GPS prompts all through her J&M CB system and into her headset. Very impressive unit. :thumbup:

Garmin seem to have done their homework with the new 590. I've had one for a week and find it works as advertised, which hasn't always been case for new Garmin offerings.

Bluetooth integration (in my case, iPhone 4S and Schuberth SRC) has been flawless so far, and the wiring harness has provision for wired connections, including USB. The functionality of the Smartlink program is excellent, with weather and traffic available on the fly. The display is readable in bright sunlight, even with my sun visor down, and the processor is, cough, somewhat faster than my elderly 2610.

So far, the only difficulties encountered have been caused by operator error, such as when I wasn't able to browse the music collection in my phone because I didn't have the correct box ticked in the appropriate menu. Pay careful attention to the presence of up or down down arrows, indicating the existence of more menu options.

Having valve-cap-type tire pressure sensors isn't my first choice, but it's nice to have another option for the day when my Smartire TPMS gives up the ghost, as well as having one less gadget on the instrument panel. If they do leak, you'll know about it.

Now all I have to do is tease out the mysteries of Basecamp...

hansong

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Good to hear the positive reviews as I was waiting for the new 590 to be available and see what early buyers impressions were. I already have a mount for the 660 installed on my trike. I was wondering if the 590 uses the same mount.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've been comparing the 660 with the 590 for my new Kawasaki. Can't seem to find what the estimated phone data plan usage is for streaming weather or Pandora music to the 590LM. Anybody know? The 660 has been around for 5 years, and has a good reputation like to 550 before it. That will probably be my choice, but the larger screen size is pulling me toward the 590.

Jim

·
Registered
532 Posts
Read up on tripplanner if it works for you go for it. It doesnt follow my routes the way I like but thats just me I like to know my next part after a way point

1 - 5 of 5 Posts