GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is a repeat of any kind. I have had this problem for 3 years so I thought I would come to the place where I will likely get an answer.

I have a 2003, A Zumo 665 and it's connected by the now defunct Kennedy Technology equipment. Everything works fine except that I cannot hear a caller either calling me or me calling out. It has never worked and I am hoping that someone here might have an answer.

I have tried everything imaginable but have not been able to find a solution. Interestingly, a friend that has an Ultra Classic and who recently had a Zumo 660 installed is having the exact same problem. I've contacted Garmin as recently as today but typically, they don't have a clue and point fingers to anybody else.

The latest troubleshooting I did was by taking the Zumo off the bike and having a friend call me. I expected that I should be able to hear his voice through the built in speaker on the Zumo but that did not work either. I am at a loss as to what I can do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave S.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Dave,

When you say you can't hear the caller and the caller can't hear you, are you talking about through your helmet? If so, are you using a "mic-splitter?" If so, who's mic splitter are you using? Who's headsets?

I have the J&M 629 Elite series in my Shoei Multitec, a mic-splitter from EdSets and the Garmin Zumo 660 paired with a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and I have no issues.

I know someone else who has the 629's in their Shark helmet, an EdSets mic-splitter, the Zumo 660 paired with a Samsung Galaxy S4, they they have the same issues you're having.

I know someone else who uses the Sena SMH10 Bluetooth headset, paired to his Zumo 665 and his iPhone 5 also paired to the 665 and he has ZERO issues.

I don't know if this is a microphone issue, a mic-splitter issue, or the version of Bluetooth (2.0/3.0/4.0) and the related divers.

One of the things I have come to realize is there is no easy answer. The Sena route seems to be the best for what you're talking about, IF you don't want to listen to the radio (only MP3's stored on your GPS) or talk on your CB. If however you want to listen to the radio, talk on your CB, the Sena route is very expensive, $700+ just for the rider.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zumo 665 and Iphone

I do have the phone paired to the Zumo. The Zumo can dial a number and connect as well as answer an incoming call.

The audio for the turn by turn directions from the Zumo come through the bike audio system via Kennedy Technology harnesses. The rest of the audio is stock such as CB, FM, etc.

I appears that I need a mic splitter, I guess. Will the Ed Sets mic splitter be plug and play with what I already have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Yeah, absolutely.

At the end of the cables that come from the Zumo bracket, you have four connections.

1 - Audio Out
2 - Mic In
3 - USB (not used normally)
4 - Power connection

If you follow the wire from the helmet connector beside the left fairing pocket, that wire goes under the pocket and then into a boot behind the plate that houses your hazard switch and headlight adjustment. The connection comes apart in you plug in the mic splitter in between. Once you get the splitter, it'll be obvious how that end connects.

The other end is a 3/32 plug that plugs into the corresponding "mic input" at the end of the wire bundle that comes from the Zumo cradle. It's an easy install.

Here is where you get the spitter: http://www.edsets.com/product_details.php?category_id=74&item_id=201

1 - 5 of 5 Posts