GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old Garmin 2610 still working but I want to upgrade.
I'm thinking about the Garmin 665. I like the idea of XM and
weather redar in one package. Any help, pro's or con's
will be appreciated. Will the power/audio make up like the
old 2610 or do I have to buy a bunch of other stuff to make
it work on my '05 wing? Maybe I'm just wishing for to much
with this new unit.

Tnx,

I forgot to ask, what does xm charge in addition to basic for
the weather? I don't want the traffic and do have a existing
subscribition. I talked with xm and was told that they couldn't
give a price until I had the unit in hand. Do what? Seems like
a lame excuse to me.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
The old Garmin 2610 still working but I want to upgrade.
I'm thinking about the Garmin 665. I like the idea of XM and
weather redar in one package. Any help, pro's or con's
will be appreciated. Will the power/audio make up like the
old 2610 or do I have to buy a bunch of other stuff to make
it work on my '05 wing? Maybe I'm just wishing for to much
with this new unit.

Tnx,
I just bought a new Zumo 665 off Ebay, $700.99 w/free shipping. I should receive the Zumo within a week or so, and will let you know the advatanges, if any. I had a Garmin (BMW) 2610. I gave the 2610 to a friend, but didn't have the bike power cord, due to leaving it attached to my BMW when it was sold. Does anyone happen to have a spare 2610 cord they want to sell??

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
You need a power and ground to it, just like the other one you had

You can run it into the aux cord in the left pocket to get all the sound into your headsets or speakers

Very simple

However if you want to use the phone part, you need a big $$ harness and gismo

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have had the 665 for just about a year now and have really been enjoying it. I have a Black Berry Storm 2 that works well with he Bluetooth feature. Got the Ed Sets connector for less than $100 and that was all I needed. Have used the XM and Weather feature since day one and just reupped for another year for about $130 for both features. The weather feature, while not as strong as what you can get on an I-Phone, is good enough to allow me to ride dry for the majority of my long distance trips.

In the end, your money, your call. For me, I really like mine now. Good luck with your hunt for a new GPS.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
I have the 665 and also the older Zumo. Screen is better on the older Zumo. I never had to use a Glarestopper on the old Zumo, but cannot see the 665 without one on it. XM and Nav weather is good on the 665. I don't use the Bluetooth feature.
Another thing I don't like about the 665 is the Odometer cannot be reset unless the unit is factory reset, which wipes out all your data/routes ect.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I absolutely love mine. I love the NavWeather. I love the XM. I love the bluetooth phone interface. The only thing I would suggest is getting the Touratech mount and a locking RAM mount knob. You will feel more secure with the Touratech mount.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I have the 665 and also the older Zumo. Screen is better on the older Zumo. I never had to use a Glarestopper on the old Zumo, but cannot see the 665 without one on it. XM and Nav weather is good on the 665. I don't use the Bluetooth feature.
Another thing I don't like about the 665 is the Odometer cannot be reset unless the unit is factory reset, which wipes out all your data/routes ect.
John,
The latest firmware update for the 665 allows the odometer to be reset.
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=13576.0

·
Registered
151 Posts
I can't compare the 665 to the older versions since I have no experience with them.

I've had mine for about a year and I will say that when I got it I wasn't sure since it locked up all the time and even occasionally powered off all by itself. After a few firmware updates it has been extremely stable.

I have mine connected through a full Autocomm system which is really nice since it allows me to use all my factory stuff including the CB & iPod connected to the CD Controls as well as my cell phone but might be over kill for you.

As for the service I originally signed up for a year for $77 then they were charging me $21 per quarter for the Weather / Nav Features which are NOT something you get by default these are additional add ons.

The traffic feature has never done much for me and I sometimes wonder if it really does anything but the weather is awesome!!! You get pop up alerts and real time maps including radar.

I found myself almost never using the XM Radio as I just listen to my iPod and just renewed my data services for $77 the year which is way better than $13 per month they originally quoted me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here's a pic of my dash with my Zumo 665

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
I went the way of the Zumo 550 for $540 range with MP3, Bluetooth phone, XM/weather, GPS. I like the square shape better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts