GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Mac users with a Garmin GPS...

A new version of BaseCamp, route planning software for Mac, is available for download: BaseCamp for Mac software version 3.2.1

----------
BaseCamp is a 3D mapping application that allows you to transfer Garmin Custom Maps, BirdsEye Imagery, waypoints, tracks, and routes between your Mac and Garmin device. It allows you to manage your data on practically all Garmin map products, but topographic maps are required for 3-D rendering.

Features include:
  • Transfer waypoints, geocaches, routes, and tracks to and from your GPS device.
  • Create, view, edit, and organize waypoints, routes, and tracks.
  • Find places, such as addresses, points of interest, and public land survey areas included in your detailed map data.
  • Download, display, and transfer BirdsEye imagery to supported devices.
  • Import, display and transfer Garmin Custom Maps to supported devices.
  • Track Draw
  • Printing the map, driving directions, and route and track profiles
  • View in Google Earth
  • Advanced geocache support
  • Geotagging photos
  • Photo waypoints
  • Integrated support for publishing photos online
  • Track and route play back
  • Exchange custom waypoint symbols with selected devices

BaseCamp now includes a "Motorcycle" Activity option. You can select activities to change the way BaseCamp presents information. Each activity stores preferences optimized for the activity.

For those using Garmin's "RoadTrip" application, BaseCamp looks almost identical but has many additional features and is better supported with updates. The BaseCamp installer will auto convert your RoadTrip data making the conversion almost transparent.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
How do you like this compared to mapsource for Windows? That is if you use this. I just got my Imac and love it....I also have a Macbook with Roadtrip on it and do not like roadtrip at all.

Thanks

·
Registered
999 Posts
I downloaded Road Trip for my Mac and just became frustrated with it, I know ... I should be more patient and diligent following the directions.

Is BaseCamp user friendly and are the instructions easy to follow? In a perfect world I would love to just transfer Google Map routing directly to my Garmin, that would be wonderful.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RoadTrip and BaseCamp are almost identical in respect to their look and user interface. BaseCamp is basically a more powerful version of RoadTrip so if you don't like the RoadTrip interface, BC is not going to be a lot different.

One of the problem I have recognized when moving from one version of software to another is that we tend to try to use the new software in the same fashion as the previous, even if we abandon an app due to its poor interface.

I found MapSource on Windows to very non-intuative and RoadTrip and BaseCamp much easier to use. I do like Google Map best but, it lacks the ability to import the routes into my Zumo and other GPS units.

On the directions for BaseCamp... I'm sorry I can't comment on them as I have never used or even looked at them.

For planning a route I create waypoints for my start and end points. I them click the "Route" option and drag them into the route. You can then drag the route indicator about to craft your trip of add additional waypoints to shape it. I often create a separate folder for each trip and save all my waypoints by state/province so they are easy to reuse.

·
Registered
155 Posts
For Mac users with a Garmin GPS...

A new version of BaseCamp, route planning software for Mac, is available for download: BaseCamp for Mac software version 3.2.1

----------
BaseCamp is a 3D mapping application that allows you to transfer Garmin Custom Maps, BirdsEye Imagery, waypoints, tracks, and routes between your Mac and Garmin device. It allows you to manage your data on practically all Garmin map products, but topographic maps are required for 3-D rendering.

Features include:
  • Transfer waypoints, geocaches, routes, and tracks to and from your GPS device.
  • Create, view, edit, and organize waypoints, routes, and tracks.
  • Find places, such as addresses, points of interest, and public land survey areas included in your detailed map data.
  • Download, display, and transfer BirdsEye imagery to supported devices.
  • Import, display and transfer Garmin Custom Maps to supported devices.
  • Track Draw
  • Printing the map, driving directions, and route and track profiles
  • View in Google Earth
  • Advanced geocache support
  • Geotagging photos
  • Photo waypoints
  • Integrated support for publishing photos online
  • Track and route play back
  • Exchange custom waypoint symbols with selected devices

BaseCamp now includes a "Motorcycle" Activity option. You can select activities to change the way BaseCamp presents information. Each activity stores preferences optimized for the activity.

For those using Garmin's "RoadTrip" application, BaseCamp looks almost identical but has many additional features and is better supported with updates. The BaseCamp installer will auto convert your RoadTrip data making the conversion almost transparent.

I crossed over to the Darkside from Windows 7 to Mac about a year ago and have always struggled with mapsource so i split the drive and put windows on. But now i am using Basecamp 3.2.1. for about a month it is very good, just that when i make routes and transfer to device it always says these routes were calculated with a different mapset do you wish to recalculate!

The map sets are all 2012.1 and are the same on the drive and in the ZUMO660! Basecamp also will not just drop the route into the zumo it always puts it into my data and i have to install route from there!

Today i have been emailing Garmin UK and they have asked for the ZUMO 660 to be returned so i hope they mend it and all will be good with basecamp..give it a try its free!
:lol:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I crossed over to the Darkside from Windows 7 to Mac about a year ago and have always struggled with mapsource so i split the drive and put windows on. But now i am using Basecamp 3.2.1. for about a month it is very good, just that when i make routes and transfer to device it always says these routes were calculated with a different mapset do you wish to recalculate!
:
First Thanks to Daddo to give me a wake up call ..... How do you get the Mac to see the device....WebUpdater sees it and says the 2610 is Updated but Base camp does not see it.

BTW Using Mac OS X is not the dark side...it is the Light ..... Install Parallels, Fusion or VirtualBox and have Windoze products in the protection of your Mac and still use them. I have all three and VirtualBox (free) works just as well except Parallels has the best coherence mode.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The map sets are all 2012.1 and are the same on the drive and in the ZUMO660! Basecamp also will not just drop the route into the zumo it always puts it into my data and i have to install route from there!

Today i have been emailing Garmin UK and they have asked for the ZUMO 660 to be returned so i hope they mend it and all will be good with basecamp..give it a try its free!
:lol:
Maps Version:
There is a "Maps" menu that lists all the Map versions installed and allows you to choose the one of your choice. Be sure to select the latest version installed both in the BaseCamp software as well as on your GPS. This will resolve the "Recalculate" issue.

Routes load into data:
I believe this is related to the GPOS rather than the route planning software. When using my Zumo 550, new routes were loaded into data and had to be imported. The same holds true for my current Zumo 665. I don't know if it works differently for other GPS models.

First Thanks to Daddo to give me a wake up call ..... How do you get the Mac to see the device....WebUpdater sees it and says the 2610 is Updated but Base camp does not see it.

BTW Using Mac OS X is not the dark side...it is the Light ..... Install Parallels, Fusion or VirtualBox and have Windoze products in the protection of your Mac and still use them. I have all three and VirtualBox (free) works just as well except Parallels has the best coherence mode.
I don't know how the device recognition works with a 2610 but with both my Zumo 550 and 665 they automatically appear in the BaseCamp "My Garmin Devices" list shortly after they are connected or BaseCamp launches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts