·
Registered
624 Posts
Anyone care to venture a guess why? :D

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a heckuva coincidence - the same day that the Zumo starts shipping, the 2730 is discontinued...

My gut feeling is that the fact that the 2730 included the GXM30 receiver/antenna made it eat into the sale of the flagship model 2820 (and cut the profit of the 2730 sale itself)

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's a shock. That was always a great value (w/the GXM-30 included) if you wanted a top of the line Garmin w/out Bluetooth (actually I think purchasing the 2830 WITH Bluetooth and the GXM-30 separately is a wiser buy). I've always had a soft spot for it because I was contemplating buying a 2730 before the announcement of the Zumo this past Summer. Of course now I have to wonder how many months until my Zumo (just shipping to me today) becomes obsolete.... and no, I'm not kidding. "New" won't last very long I'm sure. Oh well. Such is the mercurial GPS business.

But too, if you look at the virtual cornucopia of Garmin models -- and there are dozens -- they must have to trim the fat and reinvent things constantly so as not to duplicate their product efforts and ultimately compete against themselves... What a headache! Thank God I've just picked up a couple of new GPSs so after my SPIII I'm again set for several years at least now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
BOY oh BOY, do I feel GREAT about buying the Garmin 2730, I just love it for the price that I got it at and the included GXM30 antenna. No wonder they discontinued it because it was a steal when you consider it included the XM Radio antenna.

The ZUMO will be a great unit but then you have to pay $180+ to get the GXM30 if you are interested in X Radio which I am.

That announcement just made my day!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bought the 2730 before leaving for trip from Conn to Sturgis to Tampa to Conn. It is incredible and I would not be without it. I just bought a new 06 wing with navigation. This week toke a short ride from Conn to Florida and hooked up "accesory" 2730. No comparison to the Honda built in GPS which is a pain to use.

·
Registered
91 Posts

The 2730 was discontinued so that garmin could sell the same unit with bluetooth for more $$. If you don't need or want bluetooth on a motorcycle (I'm not that important to pick up a call while riding), get the discontinued 2730 including the XM for $668 from get feet wet.com.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, I just got my replacement 2820 for my 2730 which has condensation on the screen. I got the BT to work but I just need to see if my Autocom will pass the BT thru to my helmet speakers.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Condensation on the screen with the 2730 and the 2610 seems to be a commom problem with these Garmin units. I have two friends who have brand new 2730 units and both of those units have had condensation in the screen at one time or another while using them on a motorcycle. I have also had the same problem with my 2610 while using it on my motorcycle. The condensation comes and goes when the unit warms up and sometimes comes back again after it has cleared up. The moisture is trapped inside the unit and has no way to get out. All of these units have been exposed to rain. I would bet that the 2820 will be no different. I recommend covering up these Garmin units with a plastic bag while riding in heavy rain or parking in the rain.

What has seemed to work for my 2610 to remove the condensation from the unit was to use it in my truck on the dash with the CF card compartment door open with the defrostor set on high to heat up the 2610 so the moisture could escape from the unit from the opened CF compartment door. Since the the 2730 or the 2820 doesn't have a CF compartment door you would have to open case of the unit to let the moisture vent out of those units.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am beginning to think the condensation has nothing to do with "rain". I am on my 3rd 2720 due to the condensation problem and have a friend who is also on his 3rd. Our 2nd units were never in the rain but did get condensation. It seems to appear when the unit is "cool" and then the screen gets direct exposure to strong sunlight shining "directly" on the screen.

I love the unit but am starting to get discouraged over the condensation. Mainly concerned about long term complications if not corrected.....if a correction is available!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well, what you described was exactly what happened to my unit. It was cold and I was riding on a sunny but cold morning and the sun was shining directly on the unit and I could hardly see anything because of the condensation.

I am going to keep the cap on it when not in use and cover it with a 1 Quart Zip Loc Bag if it does rain or take it off and put it in the saddle bag. When it warms up the condensation goes away but you know the moisture still has to be inside the unit just not visible because of temperature.

I got my cell phone & BT headset paired up and got it to work. I will try to get the PhoneBook to download to the GPS today.

That is not encouraging hearing that others have had the same problem especially when never being out in the rain. BAH HUMBUG!!!

Oh well, at least Garmin stands behind their unit and I have a 3 year extended warranty if something happens to cause it to quit functioning.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Garman's response to fogging

This is the response to the fogging issue from an automotive support supervisor at Garmin. I informed him that if I ever have a fogging problem, I will return my unit weekly until they get it right, regardless of damage to the unit.

So sorry for the delayed for response. With regards to the 2730 there will be two instances where the possibility of fogging will arise:

* A unit with "humid" air inside exposed to the hot sun, yet with air
blowing on the unit that will to cool off the touchscreen quicker than the
rest of the unit. In this case you may have a "terrarium" effect. The
sunlight, and unit circuit operation, heats up the air inside while the
outside air cools the touch panel relative to the inside of the unit. The
cooler temperature of the touch panel relative to the inside air temperature of the unit causes moisture to condense on the back of the touch panel and perhaps also inside the touch panel (between glass and film). It eventually goes away.

* Cold weather, and unit is stored in a warm area where it may be more humid that outside. Bringing the unit outside into the cold will cool down the touch panel quicker than the rest of the chassis, and so internal moisture will condense there temporarily. Again, the cooler temperature of the touch panel relative to the inside air temperature of the unit causes moisture to condense on the back of the touch panel and perhaps also inside the touch panel (between glass and film). Again this will go away.
In either case we have never had a unit result in damage because of these phenomenons. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Brian Borjas
Automotive Support Supervisor
1-800-800-1020

·
Registered
206 Posts
So you are selling a unit that occasionally will not work under certain conditions but you are not stating that in the "Promotional Material" when you are promoting and selling that unit, doesn't sound good to me or alot of other VTXers and Goldwingers.

What is Garmin going to do about that problem???

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What's interesting is that if you pull the adjustment/mounting plate on the back of the unit, you can see the vent holes they have in the case.

You can see from the inside, that there's no moisture barrier

Water can't get into the holes directly, but it is susceptible to the conditions that Garmin described. Rapid temperature changes may make the situation worse (like if you take it from the hot weather and into an air conditioned motel room).

The iWay chose a slightly different approach. Their case vent is low on the back of the unit with a small GoreTex vapor barrier in the vent housing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jon, I thought I read that the 2730 & 2830 were waterproof where you could submerge it in a foot of water for 30 minutes and it wouldn't hurt it. Is that true??? Water can't get thru those vent holes???

Also, I wonder if Garmin addressed the condensation problem when they developed the ZUMO.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts

I never saw the vent holes before, but with the adjustment/mounting plate closed to mount the unit on the Garmin motorcycle mount the vent holes are sealed off and I doubt any air can vent from those holes. I wonder if you were enlarge the holes a bit if it would help with the condensation problem.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Roadie said:

I never saw the vent holes before, but with the adjustment/mounting plate closed to mount the unit on the Garmin motorcycle mount the vent holes are sealed off and I doubt any air can vent from those holes. I wonder if you were enlarge the holes a bit if it would help with the condensation problem.
If your unit is still under any warranty, I would not make the holes any larger. Also, since this has been an ongoing issue, surely Garmin would have made the holes larger if the remedy would be that simple. Just keep sending your units back until the resolve it correctly!!!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
where's the moisture

I believe that the vent holes described are not the issue. The problem is on the back of the touch panel or inside the touch panel (between the glass and film.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any moisture inside the unit will condense on the coldest surface - usually that will be the display panel, which is the only place that you'd actually be able to see it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts