GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed downloading updates for my GPSMAP60CSx from Garmin site.

All went well until I got to a real large file.. 46.6MB Took a long time.. 1 hr with Comcast high speed. Stopped incrementing around 4MB.
I restarted and it went up to around 5MB before stopping.
NOT giving an error, just stopped incrementing the count.
I kept restarting the download, over and over. Finaly finished with a file size of 46.6MB

Prior to this file I downloaded several other files from Garmin, same site.
They were 1.47MB, 2.1MB, and 3.45MB. No problems at all.
Typical download was well under 60 Sec.

Does Garmin or Comcast have a limit on file size for this type of download? Not E-Mail attachments. Just downloading files.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Larry31,

Good grief...! That MapSource program v6.11.6 upgrade (46.59MB) is not required in order to update the firmware in the GPS...! What version of MapSource did you have installed before you started that download...? Normally it takes only a few minutes with a broadband connection to download a MapSource update.

I've downloaded MapSource updates many times and have never had a problem with it completing in a timely manner. Maybe your Cable connection had a "hitch in its GIT-A-LONG" or something...?

I just checked the Garmin site for the 60CSx updates and there were four (4) files. The largest of which was the 2.1MB v3.10 firmware upgrade...!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chuck

I was trying to download the MapSource update. 46.6MB

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_ ... jsp?id=209
I just received a new MapSource City Navigator N. America V-6.10.2 DVD and installed it on my system. Decided to do the update to V-6.11.6

Just before I attempted to do the MapSource update, I downloaded the other updates you mentioned. No problem. Just the MapSource have me a headache.

The other updates were for the GPS unit, GPS Chipset, USB Drivers, and xImage.
They all came through ok.

When I download the 46.6MB file it starts downloading at ~ 120KB/s and within a few sec’s slows to ~50KB/s After that it slows some more to around 35KB/s
About 1 – 2 min’s into the download it seems to just stop incrementing the count.

I just attempted to do the download this morning and had same results.

S

·
0 Posts
Larry I had the same initial problem. I just kept cancelling the down load untill I got a real good connection, took 7 Min's total ! :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just got my 2610 today.
Only one CD in the package and all was going well until it said there was a newer version and sent me to the site above to get the 46.6 download.
I cant go any further with loading the program until I get that download.
I tried and tried but the sucker wont come through. I have Comcast and I have never had a problem downloading anything before from other sites for other things.
I cant even load the software until I get that download.
The CD that came with my unit is City Navigator North America V7.
Is this what I have to look forward to?
What a PIA.
I cant even begin to set up this unit without that freaking download and I cant get it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MapSource Download

Download Update:

Finally did a second download this noon.
File = MapSource_6116.exe 46,599,256 bytes.
Took over 30 min's to do download ( as per the download status box )

I set it to go and had lunch and watched a taped show. About 1 1/2 hr's

I called Comcast and they checked my system.
I'm transferring at 6 MB/s
They said to try resetting the modem and router, or bypassing the router.

I did reset the router and modem before the final download. I really don't think that made any difference.

I did run the file to update MapSource from V-6.10.2 to V-6.11.6
Seems to be working ok.

Bottom line is I think Garmin is the limiting factor and it's just with this file.
The other downloads from Garmin downloaded fast.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Tried the download this morning. 0815 Eastern time.
Got it in about 10 minutes.
Garmin has lousy corn-puters I guess.
I figure if more than a couple of people are trying to download this at the same time Garmin cant handle it.
Now I will try and install the softwear again.
What a PIA this turning out to be.

·
Registered
366 Posts
George,

You did not have to get the 6.11.6 update to MapSource in order to complete your installation of CN NA 7...!

There are many folks out there that are running earlier versions and have never updated their MapSource to the "latest and greatest" MapSource version.

Anyway, it academic since you were able to download 6.11.6. Do the entire installation from the DVD and then install the 6.11.6 update.

BTW if you just purchased the SP-2610 you are entitled to a free upgrade to CN NA8. Call Garmin Tech Support 800-800-1020 and talk to a Techie. Give his your 7-digit code and the serial number of your GPS and he will have the CN NA8 shipped to you at no charge...!

Good luck -- you will find the Garmin Tech Support folks very knowledgable and patient. Speaking of patient, when you call them you need to be patient because it usually takes quite a while on "hold" waiting for a Tech to come on the line, but once you get 'em you will be pleased...!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Guys - just remember that area of the country just finished up big ice and snow storm. People are still without power and no telling what the backbone around there is going through. My mortgage co's call center is located near there and I was on the phone with them when they lost power to the building. Phones and computers went down.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ice age????
Being from Maine, I lived in an ice age every winter, so that type of weather is the norm.
Actually, down heah by the cape of cod we have been lucky. It only just started acting like winter.
I called tech support and after a 3 minute wait got a real nice (and patient) fella on the phone. (he was in Kansas) My problem with the software install was from me registering the unit before I installed the software.
He walked me through it and then we did some minor route mapping live. Great time!!
He also told me I was entitled to the version 8 update free of charge and has sent it along.
I spent most of yesterday mapping routes. I do wish the 2610 had a "back-roads" feature but I can live with picking my own roads for that.
I didn’t put any way points on some of my routes. I just mapped out the road. Now I wonder if I should use way points on a regular basis so I will know how far it is to the next landmark.
Oh well.......
I have another 2 1/2 months of winter to play with the program. Then I can work on trying to figure out how to use the actual unit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts