GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using this GPS?

I'm wondering how much of the U.S. detail maps can be stored on the...
A - 1GB Mini Flash card.
B - 2GB Mini Flash card.

Garmin say's, not to use the Sandisk Ultra card. Can the regular 2GB card be used?

Second... How does this unit perform in the woods, around & in high buildings and mountains?

·
Registered
160 Posts
A 1 gig card will hold the eastern half of the US maps from St Louis to east coast. Chaning mapsets can be time consuming.

Haven't had a chance to test it out in the air but it will lose its signal if your going through a long tunnel in the Virginia mountains!

Still the best bet for my money!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used mine this weekend for the first time, love it! (Coming from an Etrex Vista, 12XL before that). Was out in the woods several hours and had no problems with signal, uploaded the tracks at home on Maptech and it was solid from start to finish, of course there are few leaves now but I think it will be fine. Very impressed. I have a 1 gig Sandisk with no problems as of yet.

I have all of Va, NC, part of WVA and SC (and a little of Fla) using CN and Topos, and National Parks for these states (gives 1:24 as opposed to the standard 1:100 for everywhere else, the only thing I don't like about it really).

The chipset change for the new 'X' models really made a change in coverage, as other members in our group have the older version.

Great product,
Danny

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Used the standard Scandisk 2Gig card in my Garmin used on my Harley and it worked fine - Takes a little longer on turn on to load maps but works fine - Have all the US & Canada maps installed

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have a 76CSx, which uses micro SD cards. I have all of the US Navigator, plus 2 states of Topo maps loaded on a 2g card with some room to spare. Don't know about working in wooded areas, etc. I'm currently using it in desert SW and trees blockage ain't exactly a problem out here. I get locked on to so many satellites that it says accuracy is down to +-8'.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
FredGarvin said:
I have a 76CSx, which uses micro SD cards. I have all of the US Navigator, plus 2 states of Topo maps loaded on a 2g card with some room to spare. Don't know about working in wooded areas, etc. I'm currently using it in desert SW and trees blockage ain't exactly a problem out here. I get so locked on to so many satellites that it says accuracy is down to +-8'.
I have the same setup with my 76CSx.... the 2GB card covers the entire USA, so now I have one less excuse for not riding as much as I would like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.