GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the supposed 2011 map updates on the CF card for my '07 in mid-June and received an e-mail from Garmin on July 15th that they had a problem to correct. I have heard nothing since.

Cinical me: Could the original Garmin info about the release of an update for the GL Navi be a tricky way of assessing the market for the update and when the market did not prove to be as large as Garmin wanted they are just quietly dropping this update? Or, is there really an update and Garmin just has not notified me/us?

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 07 update (CF Card) was on back order in July. I order a SD Card for my 09 and it came in with in three days.

Good Luck.

Lewis

I ordered the supposed 2011 map updates on the CF card for my '07 in mid-June and received an e-mail from Garmin on July 15th that they had a problem to correct. I have heard nothing since.

Cinical me: Could the original Garmin info about the release of an update for the GL Navi be a tricky way of assessing the market for the update and when the market did not prove to be as large as Garmin wanted they are just quietly dropping this update? Or, is there really an update and Garmin just has not notified me/us?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I literally just got off the phone with Garmin and the fast talking, sort of hyper and very excitable rep told me the updates are still on hold and they are hoping for an end of the month ship date. For the first time they did disclose the reason for the hold was due to "avoidance" issues in the software. When you are trying to plan a route and you enter in certain things to avoid like toll roads and Dairy Queens. The software is glitching when avoidances are entered so they are trying to hammer out those problems before they ship out the remaining orders. How odd that the avoidance aspect of the old version works just fine but now they are having problems with the new version. And of course there is always the cynical side of me that would not put lying past them, either. Oh well, they will arrive when they arrive.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I have the new card and in route you get a message that you can't there from here. The message screen stays on and locks the unit up until you stop. Then you lose whatever route you had.

Best to wait until they have the fix.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I literally just got off the phone with Garmin and the fast talking, sort of hyper and very excitable rep told me the updates are still on hold and they are hoping for an end of the month ship date. For the first time they did disclose the reason for the hold was due to "avoidance" issues in the software. When you are trying to plan a route and you enter in certain things to avoid like toll roads and Dairy Queens. The software is glitching when avoidances are entered so they are trying to hammer out those problems before they ship out the remaining orders. How odd that the avoidance aspect of the old version works just fine but now they are having problems with the new version. And of course there is always the cynical side of me that would not put lying past them, either. Oh well, they will arrive when they arrive.
That's exactly the way the problem was described to me, although I already have the new card. But I was told since I do not do any routing and just use the NAV as a rolling map, it wouldn't affect me and I could get a replacement card when it was convenient for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts