GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the garmin nuvi 360 or the 660 on a goldwing gl1800? What are your thoughts on these two gps's?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I like the wide screen approach. Nuvis aren't water resistant/proof, so that might be an issue. Also don't know how the touch screen will work with MC gloves.

To me, Nuvis are more of a PDA and offer several features not really related to navigation. Nice to have if you use them. I'm not certain but I think they are also a single point-to-point nav unit, i.e. tell me how to get from where I'm at to where I want to go - doesn't support detailed trip planning with multi-waypoints, etc.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Personally, for use on a motorcycle, I wouldn't consider a GPS that wasn't waterproof.

These Nuvi units do not support multiple routes (it'll get you from where you are right now to a final destination) and only allow one 'via point' to that route.

I also wouldn't use a GPS that wouldn't allow route planning from a computer, either.

My needs are obviously not necessarily your needs, but you did ask...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the nuvi 350 which is the same as the 360 except it does not have the Blue Tooth feature. I really like it. It is easy to use, I can manage it with my gloves on no problem. I got a rain cover for it from J&M just in case but it doesn't rain to often here in Arizona. I really use it to navigate to hotels etc. more than anything. For my needs it is more than adequate and the mp3 player works great. You will need a ground loop isolator to eliminate alternator whine. I got mine from Kennedy electronics. For someone who wants advanced route planning this is not the unit for you but if you only want basic navigation functions I think it is a great choice. It is also very portable to use in my cars as well. It just depends on your needs and expectations.

Dave

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the 350 and othe rthan it not being waterproof I love it. It mounted really easily with a Cyclegear.com mount. What I like about it is that I can use it in my car as well and on my GW. In no way is it a toy. It is a full feature GPS... I think is is what is int he factory GPS other than being waterproofed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts