GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this GPS? What are your opinions? I think it does everything except have XM, which I don't want anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
21,091 Posts
been watching that one myself, expensive but some pretty nifty features and very portable, being able to view pictures on the screen seems like something i would use, wish it was waterproof and less expensive

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking it may be pretty simple to waterproof it with a baggie or something when needed. I just bought one on ebay for $597.00 shipped and insured. I will let you know what I come up with. I like the mounting options with the suction cup and or the vent clip. Will post some pics when installed.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Make sure you put a lanyard of some sort on that unit - neither of the included mounting solutions will last on the wing...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I own one that I purchased to use in a rental car when I traveled. I also rigged up a RAM mount system for my 1500. It worked well. When I purchased my '06, I bought the ABS version which had GPS so I haven't had any real need to mount the Nuvi on the new bike. I thought about it though because I can enter data and search POIs on the move, unlike the GW GPS.

Nuvi system updates are free on the Garmin site and average about every three weeks. The Nuvi is a good unit, however, if I were buying a bike unit, I would look carefully at the Zumo. Costs more but has more capability.

Ed

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have the 350 and really like it.I got mine off eBay for aound 600. I like it because I can drop it in my pocket when I rent cars.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all.

Jon, friend of mine has a Garmin Nuvi 350 and uses the suction cup on the gas tank of his HD UC. He has never has a problen with losing the unit or the suction cup coming off while riding. Are you suggesting that the suction cup will not hold on the Wing shelter because it is tupperware? I do not think the Wing vibrates more than a HD UC (Not bashing) but admittedly the HD appears to vibrate more than a Wing (I have not ridden one).

I think a snadwich bag could be used to protect in the rain. Any and all thoughts/ideas welcome. Last thing I want to do is lose it or screw it up. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Where on the shelter would you plan on attaching it? The gas tank door is about the closest smooth, flat surface that could provide any adhesion and I would think it would be so low that it would be virtually unsuable (IMHO)

It's your $600 - attach it how you feel comfortable...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I use a suction cup on my Garmin 3600 and it falls off all the time, in the car. Changes in temperature are especially troublesome. It hasn't fallen off since yesterday!
I use a the hard mount on the wing.

Jon is correct as usual!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I use an attachement from cycle gear that goes on the left hand bar. Very stable and easy to view.

·
Road Warrior
1,323 Posts
Just watch where you put the tether, had a friend on the MTF board that lost his 2610 when his ram mount broke and the 2610 went down the road. It was tethered to the ram mount and the whole thing went.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also interested in the Nuvi 360 for my GL1800. Has anyone who has used one of these had any problems with road vibrations causing a problem with the unit?

I see where Garmin is now making the Zumo 550 that is designed for the motorcycle, but it may not be available yet. Anyone have any information on this unit?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Not to hijack...

But I felt I would offer an opinion on the viability of suction cup mounting.

I mounted my Sirius radio with the suction cup on the windscreen and it does not come off. If it did come off, the power/antenna/line out cords would keep it dangling I'm sure.

Granted, the nuvi probably weighs more than the Sirius, so that could add to the possibility of failure.

My father-in-law wants my 276c so what usually happens is my wife gives him what he wants, and I get to upgrade!!

I like the look of both the 2820 and the nuvi.... We'll see

Good luck,

Lance

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the nuvi350 on my 06 and am very happy with it. It works great and is very portable. I custom built a mount on my clutch reservoir using a cycle gadgets mount and then made my own rigid adaptor out of ABS plastic. The unit snaps in and out of it's garmin cradle and has been very secure but is easily removable. I was not comfortable with a suction mount since my experience has been that they tend to fall off. If you watch ebay you can get a nuvi350 for just under $500with shipping for a Garmin factory reconditioned unit with a full one year warranty from Garmin. I bought one and it looks and works like brand new in a box with all the accessories.

Dave

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drhude1800

Do you have any pics or drawings of what you did? I have a Nuvi 360 and looking for a secure mount. Thanks...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts