GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok..... I plan on picking up a used Garmin Nuvi with lifetime maps so I can service my 2013 Nav Goldwing with updated maps.

What do I need to buy?

Do I just need the GPS and no paperwork or anything?..... just a serial number on the unit?

Does the original owner need to transfer ownership or anything?

Any advice would be helpful. Do’s and don’ts.... From what I’ve seen I can get one in the $50 plus or minus range.

The plan is to update my wing and then use the unit in my truck on road trips. ...... and cancel my $99 order for a update with Garmin. Unfortunately the lack of performance at Garmin forces this direction.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm not sure what you want to do when you say updating the Wing. I purchased a used Zumo with lifetime maps. I needed the sellers permission to transfer ownership to me so I could update the maps in the future. I don't think you can transfer info from unit to unit. Garmin people are easy to work with just give them a call to find out what is needed.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought I needed a Garmin gps with lifetime map updates to be able to have access and download load the latest map sets to a computer, and then unlock and download them onto a memory card to plug into my goldwing.

Is there a better way?

·
IronMan
17,625 Posts
I thought I needed a Garmin gps with lifetime map updates to be able to ave access and download load the latest map sets to a computer and then unlock and download them onto a memory card to plug into my goldwing.

Is there a better way?
you do ! but as stated to transfer in your name think old owner has to sign off /transfer to you ?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The original owner does not have to sign over anything to the new owner. If you have a Garmin that has lifetime maps when you download Garmin Express and plug the unit in it will find it and the serial number and do it's thing. I have bought 2 preowned Garmin's before and that's all I did. You can go to the Garmin site and register it to your account also.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Couldn’t multiple copies of a download be made? then someone could just send him a copy for his on-bike-GPS.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I had in the past both a Nuvi and Zumo with lifetime maps and each updated with their own maps and when you used Garmin express it checked to see the unit that was registered and gave you that update. Also the two units didn't always update at the same time. With that in mind I don't think what you want to do will work. JMHO

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I just purchased a New Garmin. When I Registered it with Garmin there was an option to unregister any of my existing units. So I would have to unregister it before I sold it.
The Garmin site allowed me to transfer my favorites from an old one to the new one. I saw no option that could have been used to update my GW.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I use my Zumo's lifetime map updates to update my 2008 nav unit so yes it can be done. You have to download the map update to your computer and use an open source program to unlock the map before transferring to the SD or CF card. I'm currently running a 2019 update on my 2008 which is impossible to get from Garmin directly for the GL1800. I'll be updating to the latest 2020 maps soon.

Reactions: UNCLEJOHN

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
This is from our NAVI group. i did it and its great. the Honda update was already outdated upon release.

FYI - How to update your NAVI to the latest everything (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Started by 7550 [12-12-2007]

04-28-2019 02:20 PM
by jlkeene Last Post
1,828 463,532 NAVI

Latest Garmin USA map 2019.30:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YCqgdGm03SRAC93Na6a3ch1YmD79V2mC

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think the most current Garmin maps are 2020.10. I have been manually updating my 2007 GL1800 NAVI for years and especially now I dont feel any guilt over it. The most recent and final updated maps just made available for the 2006-08 GL1800's are 2017.10 which are actually early 2016 maps. 3 years old! Not acceptable. Since Garmin support is over for the 06-08, I have no other choice but to do my own updates using my lifetime map subscription that I have for my Nuvi 765T. Kind of funny that timely updates are still available for that 10+ year old device which is easily replaceable but not for an integrated device that is a major component on my trike...

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.... I received shipping confirmation and tracking number for my map update from Garmin I ordered. I’m still going to pursue the project though for the future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts