GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

For those of you like me who are dense and dunces and just can't tolerate Mapsource lets work out a solution and technically figure out what other 3d party alternatives are available how to make it work.

Someone talked about MS Streets & Tips and converting the output files using GPS utilities so Garmin units can read them.

Has anybody done this ?

How do you download them into the GPS ow will the GPS units see the Saved routes so you can call them up off

Anybody have any ideas

·
Registered
184 Posts
Garmin Owners Unite

I have no trouble with map Source since 2003.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, you can use MS Streets and Trips and convert to Garmin routes with something called the GPS Utility. (do a Google search and you should find the web site for the GPSU (GPS Utility).

That said, unless you have been using MS Streets and Trips for a while, I find that it is just about as cumbersome as MapSource. Streets and Trips has more detail BUT you can only work with one route and you can't designate waypoitns like you can with MapSource. (S&T has something called push pins).

Personally I prefer Delormen Street Atlas 9 but it has been out for 5-6 years. (I don't like Delormen's newer versions). I bought S&T 2007 and have converted a couple of routes but am finding it easier to do my preliminary routing with Street Atlas (that I have been using since Street Atlas version 2) and them laying out the route with MapSource.

You can download the Garmin route directly form the GPS Utility to your 2610 or similar GPS unit or to MapSource and then massage it before downloading to the GPS unit.

The GPS Utility comes with a free version (limited with what it will do) and you can purchase the full version for $55.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
oldtags said:
...That said, unless you have been using MS Streets and Trips for a while, I find that it is just about as cumbersome as MapSource. Streets and Trips has more detail BUT you can only work with one route and you can't designate waypoitns like you can with MapSource. (S&T has something called push pins)...
You're kidding, right?

The 'Find' function is S&T is light-years easier to use than Mapsource's version. You can even enter part of a business name and get tons of results. Try entering 'County Line BBQ' into the 'Find' box in Mapsource and see what you get. I got 95 matches...

The pushpins are equivalent to waypoints when you're planning a route and are just as easy to manipulate.

You are correct in that it only works for one route at a time, but that works for me since I like to segment my routes into one day at a time anyway. The trip summary, break points, gas stop warnings, updated construction information, etc. are all nice features.

Mapsource isn't completely non-functional - it's just not as intuitive as a lot of people are used to using, especially when compared with current software offerings .

·
Registered
218 Posts
I too am at a loss as to what some claim to be a problem with MapSource... I find the program very easy to use and haven't had a problem since I started using it in 2002. Maybe my needs are simpler than others.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'm in the Map Source liking camp. I don't find S&T intuitive at all and converting its file format to MapSource format is a step I just don't want to have to do.

I guess I'm this way because I use multiple pieces of software in a given day and each have their quirks, foibles, and good points. If at the end of the day I've accomplished what I need in the time available, that works for me.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
JimRo said:
Ok,

For those of you like me who are dense and dunces and just can't tolerate Mapsource lets work out a solution and technically figure out what other 3d party alternatives are available how to make it work.

Someone talked about MS Streets & Tips and converting the output files using GPS utilities so Garmin units can read them.

Has anybody done this ?

How do you download them into the GPS ow will the GPS units see the Saved routes so you can call them up off

Anybody have any ideas
I own a 2610 and I have absolutly no problem at all with MapSource and downloading to my GPS.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I don't have it but the guys I ride with MS Streets and Trips is the way to go.

I agree mapsource is awkward and inflexible. So much could be done to improve that program.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Garmin

Oldtags

“Personally I prefer Delormen Street Atlas 9 but it has been out for 5-6 years. (I don't like Delormen's newer versions). I bought S&T 2007 and have converted a couple of routes but am finding it easier to do my preliminary routing with Street Atlas (that I have been using since Street Atlas version 2) and them laying out the route with MapSource. “
Do you download the Delorme St Atlas USA maps to the Garmin GPS?
If so, how do you do it?

Is it done by converting St Atlas USA saved map file type (*.sa8) to the MapSource file type (*.gdb) ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have Mapsource, S&T, SA9 and SA2007, Topo, OziExplorer, and a couple of other mapping programs. Each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

For route planning my motorcycle trips, I have no problems at all with mapsource. Works just fine for me. The ease of interface with my GPSMap 276 is part of why I like it for that purpose. I personally think S&T is my least used map program - tied with Precision Mapping.

I agree with oldtags on SA9 versus newer SA products. Sure wished they had kept the old interface. Oh well...

Carl

·
Registered
478 Posts
Jon said:
oldtags said:
...That said, unless you have been using MS Streets and Trips for a while, I find that it is just about as cumbersome as MapSource. Streets and Trips has more detail BUT you can only work with one route and you can't designate waypoitns like you can with MapSource. (S&T has something called push pins)...
You're kidding, right?

The 'Find' function is S&T is light-years easier to use than Mapsource's version. You can even enter part of a business name and get tons of results. Try entering 'County Line BBQ' into the 'Find' box in Mapsource and see what you get. I got 95 matches...

The pushpins are equivalent to waypoints when you're planning a route and are just as easy to manipulate.

You are correct in that it only works for one route at a time, but that works for me since I like to segment my routes into one day at a time anyway. The trip summary, break points, gas stop warnings, updated construction information, etc. are all nice features.

Mapsource isn't completely non-functional - it's just not as intuitive as a lot of people are used to using, especially when compared with current software offerings .
So is the Microsoft product your default program for trip planning and do you load those routes (gpx conversions) into your ZUMO/iWay etc.

I am just not sure I want to take on the overhead of learning Mapsource when I am familiar with Streets/Trips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts