GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The battery will no longer hold a charge so I'd like to replace my Garmin Nuvi. I don't need to plan a route just point to point directions and LM. Also no need to be waterproof.

What's a good unit?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
The battery will no longer hold a charge so I'd like to replace my Garmin Nuvi. I don't need to plan a route just point to point directions and LM. Also no need to be waterproof.

What's a good unit?
It all depends on what you want. I'd suggest using a smart phone with Waze, Google maps, or CoPilot. My next suggestion would be to figure out how much you wanted to spend and get another Nuvi in that price range. I have been using a Dezl because it has a large screen and an audio output that I feed to my Freewire, but I'm planning to go to a Zumo which would probably not be what you want.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cheapest route might be to run a power source to the unit? Then the battery becomes a non issue for you.

Just a thought.
The Nuvi models do not run directly off of 12V. The cigarette lighter adaptor contains a dc-to-dc convertor that drops the voltage so that will only be a simple route if the OP has a 12V plug in his fairing pocket and the original power cord with the 12v plug that came with the unit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've always wondered about a unit that took voice commands for the simplicity of it. No concerns for glove-freindly screens or the time wasted for input.
I, also, agree with our fellow member stating the ease of a powered unit.
I run a 276Cx for the larger screen and other benefits. My previous 396 was great but my tired, old, eyes revolted against it. Also, a used or refurbished unit would keep your costs down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You can get replacement power cords online if it has an input for one and on an older nuvi that I had I replaced the battery with a new one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think you just want something new but IF you do want to replace I see them for $10-22 on the internet. I have a 660lm and it is very easy to replace the battery.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Before i got a zumo 590, I used a Nuvi 300 and later, a Nuvi 765T.

Both Nuvis ran off a 12v hard wire connected to the fuse box, so I never ran them on the internal battery. The hard wire has something that reduces the voltage before it hits the unit.

I still have the 765T and the power cords (car and motorcycle) (and the plastic Ram holder/adapter for the 765T) if you're looking for a replacement.

[EDITED to correct NUVI 300 and 765T). Sorry

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would like to suggest a new 2019 goldwing with built in GPS. .......
LOL. While I have considered this option I think I will stay with a new Garmin first..

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
This gentleman repaired my Zumo 550, new buttons and internal battery. Price was good. That was over two years ago and it still works. He might well be able to replace your battery for a reasonable price if you wish to keep the unit.

https://www.palmdr.com
I have used this source with good results for repair of GPS.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
It looks like you have the power cord plugged in to a 2595? Batteries can be replaced if you utube how to do it.
My Nuvi 2595 completely died a few years ago.
I have Nuvi 2599LMTHD now. Refurbished $112. Haven't checked prices lately.
It is much faster and better screen.

Garmin routing SUCKS. Got worse with every update the last couple of years. I have been on the phone with them and they have gotten enough complaints they will listen now. A year ago they said it wasn't their problem.
We will see if they get the routing better.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
This gentleman repaired my Zumo 550, new buttons and internal battery. Price was good. That was over two years ago and it still works. He might well be able to replace your battery for a reasonable price if you wish to keep the unit.

I have also used these guys in the last year for battery replacement and button repairs on my Zumo 550 and couldn’t be happier with the results and the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
goldwing

You can replace the battery yourself. It's not hard. You might have to solder a couple of wires. And look at it this way. It's not working now so you can't hurt it.

If you want a new one, look for a Garmin 2797. 7 inch screen with voice activation. I doubt if the voice activation will work on a bike, too much wind noise. Several years ago a guy named Greg modified one to work with the factory wired headset and mic.. I think the instructions are on this forum.

I have two of them and use them in my car and truck.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
You can get replacement power cords online if it has an input for one and on an older nuvi that I had I replaced the battery with a new one.
It's been a few years but I replaced the battery in my Nuvi 760. IIRC, the battery was about 10 bucks, and there was a video online that helped me get the unit opened up. So, if it's a 760 or similar it's a DIY project.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts

I have also used them with great results , very quick and easy.

·
Registered
869 Posts

I have used this source with good results for repair of GPS.
I have also used them with great results , very quick and easy.
I have also used PalmDr for my 665 Zumo... Quality service at an affordable price...

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've always wondered about a unit that took voice commands for the simplicity of it. No concerns for glove-freindly screens or the time wasted for input.
I, also, agree with our fellow member stating the ease of a powered unit.
I run a 276Cx for the larger screen and other benefits. My previous 396 was great but my tired, old, eyes revolted against it. Also, a used or refurbished unit would keep your costs down.
I have a Gamin that does voice commands.. in the car it works flawlessly. I got it for the bike and it works great when you pull over and shut the bike off. It is not waterproof so I have it in a waterproof zippered holder. To use the voice command on the bike, I almost always have to unzip it a bit. BUT on the other hand,, I have been able to look things up when its not real windy riding down the road... but if you want to same more then "food", you would be in trouble. I've had this on two Wings, and I use it on my BMW1200GS. Its been to Alaska and Labrador to San Francisco to Key West, to White Horse Point Michigan UP down to Brownsville Tx. and EVERYWHERE in between. Still works and during our Ohio winter.. its in my Jeep. I love it and hope it keeps running for many years to come. Even with the built in Navi on the 2018 Wing.. I use this one to do look ups on the fly. Food, Gas, Hotels, landmarks, anything I want to look at while riding since the Honda one is useless while you are moving!!!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts