GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GPS Colormap, and have mapsource software loaded on my computer that downloads maps from metroguide north america version 3.XXX? anyway, I purchased a 2610 to replace the colormap, that came without the software disks. (no city navigator). No big deal i thought, since I already have the Garmin software loaded on my computer(metroguide north america V3.XXand Mapsource). Well, I have downloaded the whole U.S. to the 2gig flash card off of the metroguide north america version 3.XX? onto the 2610.

I noticed that there is a version 7.XX and a version 8.XX of the metroguide north america, and was wondering if I can purchase one of these to get the most current information; ie points of interest etc. I can get one of these for about $75 for the entire software, because garmin does not offer a simple update for the metroguide north america software like they do for the city navigator. (if I had the city navigator, I could just get the update from garmin for $75 but don't have the software) I would like to buy this and update the maps on the 2610 to the latest versions with the metroguide north america software, but then I found a website that had a compatability table for garmin software to the different units, and it said that the metroguide maps would not download to the 2610, but I seem to have been doing this since I got the 2610, just that the info is about 5 to 6 years old. Is this website's information incorrect, or do I have an older software version that allows the downloads? I hate to buy the latest version of metroguide north america if I can't use it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have updated the mapsource software to the latest version, and updated the 2610 to the latest software version as well. I Thanks!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Can't answer your question, but I can suggest that you bite the bullet and buy the full City Navigator package and be done with it. City Navigator has many more road attributes than MetroGuide and makes a much better autorouting tool. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: Garmin Software compatability expert needed Please Help!

Texaswinger77511 said:
I purchased a 2610 to replace the colormap, that came without the software disks. (no city navigator).

I have updated the mapsource software to the latest version, and updated the 2610 to the latest software version as well. I Thanks!
You can just buy the CN v8 dvd and install it. It will come with a code that you can use through the Garmin website to get the 25 character unlock code for the maps. Once they're unlocked you can download the entire US maps to the 2gb compactflash card.

Just 3 important things-

1. CN v8 comes on a dvd, not a cd. The computer you install CN v8 onto must have at least a dvd rom drive.
2. You can find the CN v8 dvd on ebay for less than $100. Keep all the usual warnings about buying from ebay in mind, and you'll be fine. That's how I got CN v8 for my 2610.
3. If you're buying a compactflash card specifically for your gps, get a Sandisk Ultra II card instead of the "base" version. Map loading is MUCH faster (twice as fast) and recalculating a route when you go off the current route is at least twice as fast as well.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Texaswinger77511,

I purchased a 2610 to replace the colormap, that came without the software disks. (no city navigator).
All good replies but I think everyone ignored the above...! The Garmin SP-2610 comes with MapSource and City Navigator. What version of CN you get depends on how old the SP-2610 is, but Garmin will still give you a free update to CN8...! Just call 1-800-800-1020 and talk to a Tech Support rep.

However, if you purchased the SP-2610 used, go back to the seller and ask for the original disks. The CDs (or DVD) should have been in the package. Did you receive the bean-bag base, AC and Car power cords, remote, various hardware pieces, the manuals and the original Garmin box...? If not, maybe the GPS was stolen...!

·
Registered
642 Posts
e98x09 said:
The Garmin SP-2610 comes with MapSource and City Navigator. What version of CN you get depends on how old the SP-2610 is, but Garmin will still give you a free update to CN8...! Just call 1-800-800-1020 and talk to a Tech Support rep.
Yes, the 2610 does come with Mapsource and some version of CN maps (probably v7) in the package. But you probably won't get an upgrade to v8. The only way you get a free upgrade to v8 is to have purchased the 2610 new after v8 was made available (new old stock). If you purchased it before v8 was available, too bad.

Since the 2610 has now been discontinued, good luck on a free upgrade. I think you'll need it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Metroguide is an old Software product from Garmin that does not include the routing information on the unit. That is the main reason why Garmin states it's not compatible with the 2610, which does routing on the unit.

I assume you got the 2610 used, since the unit always came with the City Navigator disks.

I would suggest that you buy the City Navigator DVD, as others have stated already. I expect that Garmin will discontinue Metroguide in the near future as there are only limited units now that will use that data as all newer units do autorouting and thus would not benefit from Metroguide. The official price from Garmin is $139.27 (according to their website).

The main difference between City Navigator and Metroguide is solely that you cannot route to a location. It will just show the distance "as the crow flys". With City Navigator it will give you turn by turn directions.

Reiner

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the responses. I got the unit used on E-bay and the auction stated that the software was not included. It is not stolen, I got the numbers from the machine and called Garmin to check before I bid. I only gave $240 for the unit, and it works great. I may not understand what you mean my "autorouting". I have noticed the "as the crow flies" distances when measuring, but it will route to a destination, and calculate all the turns, and give distances to each turn on the routing page. I have checked to see if the distances seem to adjust as I drive towards them and they do not.

I guess I will by V-8 and be done with it. Thanks to all who responded.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Texaswinger77511 said:
....I may not understand what you mean my "autorouting". I have noticed the "as the crow flies" distances when measuring, but it will route to a destination, and calculate all the turns, and give distances to each turn on the routing page....

MetroGuide WILL auto-route, just like City Navigator, but with a lot less attributes on the roads, such as "no left turn", "Traffic circle exit", etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just FYI anyone who wants to buy the complete city navigator V-8, I found it at amazon.com for $102 free shipping. Better yet if you apply for the Chase amazon Visa, they will deduct $30 from your first purchase bringing the price down to a very reasonable $72 to your door! I can live with that! Thanks to all again! :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts