GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Previous post here: https://gl1800riders.com/forums/79-2012-goldwing-board/450309-new-map-card-garmin-defective.html

I have no idea how they could have done this but from my use, this new map update is worse and missing more addresses than the old card. This morning I put three location names into Google maps on my PC and easily built a four stop route. Using the place names and or addresses from Google maps, 3 of the locations did not come up at all as Points of Interest or by the addresses. This GPS was and is garbage. I went back to the bike and bulled up the map and after a few minutes clicked to the exact spot and saved it as a favorite. So I can use the GPS to get to that one location.

Here's a better example: Planned a simple drive out US 30 West in PA to the Flight 93 memorial. There must be a small portion of US 30 that does not exist in the Garmin map. It routed me North and counterclockwise t a point beyond my destination and then brought me back Eastward to the Memorial. An extra 105 miles. Fortunately I knew it was screwed up so I ignored it.

Whenever I select or create a destination, the initial distance is ALWAYS based on some other point. This morning it said 39 miles and then when I hit select as destination it corrected itself to 72 miles. It happens with EVERT destination. It is as if it forgets where I am sitting until it fully loads the new route?

If I go with a bolt on GPS attached to my bars, what do you use and recommend? This is too frustrating for the result.

By the way, Garmin has yet to notify me about any corrections. There is more wrong with this map card than just the date and time.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I just received a supposed fix today by email but can’t do anything with it right now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just received a supposed fix today by email but can’t do anything with it right now.
I'd love to know what the fix is and whether it actually works. The Nav screen switching to night mode at 5pm is driving me nuts. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Below is what the email says:

Hello,
We have developed a fix the time / date issue you're having with your Gold Wing navigation. Please use the instructions below to resolve the issue.
Insert SD map update card into computer
Access the contents of the SD card
Delete the contents of Garmin/GPS on the map card
You should be deleting ARC.BIN, BEE.BIN, and mt.nvm
Take the new mt.nvm file (attached) and paste it into the Garmin/GPS folder
Allow the unit to boot up and acquire a GPS signal.
Please let us know if you continue to have issues after implementing this fix.
Thank you for choosing Garmin,

I can’t do anything with it right now due to computer issues.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the info, awingnut105. Looking forward to your results.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
If I go with a bolt on GPS attached to my bars, what do you use and recommend?
I'm using a Garmin 61LMT-S on my bikes. I also use a Garmin 2797LMT in my cars. Neither of which are in any way water proof or water resistant. At the cost of a Garmin 61LMT-S refurbished (~$140) I'll take my chances; versus spending 3 or 4 times that much on one of the GPS's that is supposedly made for a motorcycle.

I mount with Ram Mounting hardware but also employ a "Safety Tether" . . . . just in case. The mounting for a Garmin 61LMT-S to a RAM component does not inspire a tremendous amount of confidence, although I've not had any "accidental" deployments . . . . yet. FWIW The photos do not show my "Safety Tether" (I guess I'll have to update my picture files. . . . )

Attachments

Reactions: 93interstater

·
Registered
460 Posts
Garmin gave a try but here's my last email today. Agree, waste of cash.

"Unfortunately it would seem there is something wrong with the Nav unit itself. You may want to take it to a honda service center, if they would possible still work on them.
Thank you for choosing Garmin,"

Zumo 660 going on this weekend. Liked it better anyway.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Whenever I select or create a destination, the initial distance is ALWAYS based on some other point. This morning it said 39 miles and then when I hit select as destination it corrected itself to 72 miles. It happens with EVERT destination. It is as if it forgets where I am sitting until it fully loads the new route?

What I think that your navi is doing (mine does), when you first search a place, it tells you the distance that the crow flies from your location and the direction. When you tell it to route to it, it tells you how far you will drive to get there with the criteria that you have set and the roads on your map.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

What I think that your navi is doing (mine does), when you first search a place, it tells you the distance that the crow flies from your location and the direction. When you tell it to route to it, it tells you how far you will drive to get there with the criteria that you have set and the roads on your map.
That absolutely makes perfect sense since that first mileage is always shorter, but, My Gl never flies a straight line so why would they do that?! Why would I care? Maybe honda makes an airplane with this crappy GPS? If Honda wanted to provide a decent GPS they could do so if they paid Garmin upfront for lifetime map updates---you know, like the type Garmin sells for $200.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
I HAVE 2014 WITH ORIGINAL MAPS WAS JUST OUT IN TX AND PUT IN ROUTE SAN ANTONIO TO GALVESTON - 667 MILES STAYED THAT WAY EVEN WHEN I HIT CALCULATE .!! ???? WHEN I GOT WITHIN 45 MILES OF MY DESTINATION HIT CALCULATE AGAIN AND IT SAID 250+ MILES !! IS MY "CROW" ON DRUGS OR WHAT !:surprise::serious::frown2:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Maybe honda makes an airplane with this crappy GPS? If Honda wanted to provide a decent GPS they could do so if they paid Garmin upfront for lifetime map updates---you know, like the type Garmin sells for $200.
No, but Garmin *does* make GPS system for small aircraft.

Look, the computing power in most GPS' has long been superseded by the computing power in phones over the last five years. When you turn on that GPS, it's a few seconds (30 or so...maybe more) before the GPS sees enough of the constellation of satellites (minimum of four) before it's accurate.

Now, once all that happens, that poor little computer has to recalculate the route you've told it to run, based on the parameters you've set in the GPS.

Didn't set any parameters (no dirt roads, no U turns, no toll roads...) and it's pretty quick. As soon as you start limiting how to route where you're going, now it's going to take longer, as it has to discard routing opportunities.

At the end of the day, it's a tool - one of many - in the toolbox. Create a good, solid GPX file that the bike can digest, and it'll go exactly how you told it to do.

·
IronMan
17,638 Posts
No, but Garmin *does* make GPS system for small aircraft.

Look, the computing power in most GPS' has long been superseded by the computing power in phones over the last five years. When you turn on that GPS, it's a few seconds (30 or so...maybe more) before the GPS sees enough of the constellation of satellites (minimum of four) before it's accurate.

Now, one all that happens, that poor little computer has to recalculate the route you've told it to run, based on the parameters you've set in the GPS.

Didn't set any parameters (no dirt roads, no U turns, no toll roads...) and it's pretty quick. As soon as you start limiting how to route where you're going, now it's going to take longer, as it has to discard routing opportunities.

At the end of the day, it's a tool - one of many - in the toolbox. Create a good, solid GPX file that the bike can digest, and it'll go exactly how you told it to do.
WHAT !!!!! YA MEAN I GOT TO "THINK" TO USE THE DAM THING ! :surprise::laugh::laugh: THATS WHY WE USE THEM SO WE DONT HAVE TO THINK OR LOOK AT A MAP ! :serious::wink2:

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
WHAT !!!!! YA MEAN I GOT TO "THINK" TO USE THE DAM THING ! :surprise::laugh::laugh: THATS WHY WE USE THEM SO WE DONT HAVE TO THINK OR LOOK AT A MAP ! :serious::wink2:
:mrgreen:

"First World Problems"...

Besides, you're that guy in that song, right?

"I've been Everywhere"

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It appears the fix for the GPS time /date issue is a good one.
I don’t use the features that others complain about, so I have no idea if the fix has anything to do with them.

Reactions: bigtinva

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It appears the fix for the GPS time /date issue is a good one.
I don’t use the features that others complain about, so I have no idea if the fix has anything to do with them.
Yep. I thought the file and instructions Garmin sent were an easy fix for the date and time problem.

·
Registered
568 Posts

If I go with a bolt on GPS attached to my bars, what do you use and recommend? This is too frustrating for the result.

MacWing Answered this correctly.

All GPS units initially show the Straight Line distance, up until you press 'GO'.
then it calculates the actual driving distance, based upon the parameters that you have pre-selected. ( shortest distance? Fastest route? )

There is no way to get around the distance problem.. It is just geo mathematics.

As for mounting a GPS, I chose to use a Garmin 2797LMT with a RAM mount, I used several 360 degree brackets they supply, to mount it equi-distant between the hand grips, below the dash gauges. It never gets wet while traveling, and I just throw a half cover over the bike when stopped. 3 years of riding in rain, and never a problem.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Bluehighways. I see what looks like a large sun shade over your OEM navi screen? Where did you get that please?

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
The sunshade looks like the one that was made by gl1800visor (dot) com

NOTE: Web page says no longer being made. :(

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Yes, those visors were made by a member on this board (ChrisE) but he stopped making them.

I have one which broke when I dropped my helmet on it. I would love to get a new one, but I'll live with the "glued" one I have now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts