GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gift card for Amazon, thinking of buying the lifetime updates for my 350 nuvi.
Any thoughts on the matter and was wondering how big of a SD card should i buy for the upgrade, or if I need to buy a SD card.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I bought the lifetime updates online for my nuvi. I got a Garmin package in the mail with an update code. Plug your Nuvi into your computer, go to Garmin.com, and update your maps using the code that you paid for. No need to mess with cards.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I bought the lifetime maps for my NUVI 360, and updated as of 3 weeks ago. Everything is great so far. I also bought (I think) an 8GB SD card for the MP3 tunes, and is NOT necessary if you only wish to update the maps. That works great too!! Only thing I recommend is that you download your music to the SD card directly and NOT throught the GARMIN USB cord. Reason for that is that it takes about 5 minutes per tune throught the GARMIN USB vs. 3-4 minutes for an entire CD if done directly to the SD card. I just inserted my SD card into a port on my HP printer to do this, if you don't have one, you can get an SD card adapter that is USB plugin.
Only complaint that I have with the MP3 player on the GARMIN is that the volume level of the GPS voice is WAAAAAAAY too low to be easily heard while listening to the MP3 player. It's really hard to hear anything the GPS is saying while listening to the tunes.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Steve,
On my Garmin 765t, you can adjust the mix of the "MEDIA" level and the "navigation" level, there is also a "master" level. Perhaps the navigation level is turned down low.
Bill

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Steve,
On my Garmin 765t, you can adjust the mix of the "MEDIA" level and the "navigation" level, there is also a "master" level. Perhaps the navigation level is turned down low.
Bill
Hmmm, not sure if my GPS has those features. I'll have to dig a little deeper in the owners manual, I guess.
Thanks,
Steve F

·
Registered
242 Posts
Card is device dependent

I have a gift card for Amazon, thinking of buying the lifetime updates for my 350 nuvi.
Any thoughts on the matter and was wondering how big of a SD card should i buy for the upgrade, or if I need to buy a SD card.
If all you are doing is upgrading your maps you don't need a SD card. You can buy the lifetime updates and when you do so you'll get a registration number that is maintained by Garmin. I just updated my Nuvi 760 and it connected to my computer, I ran the software update and it automagically sync'd my Nuvi with the Garmin servers, verified I was eligible for the newer maps, and installed them. Be forewarned that it takes a long time to do an update. I had it running while watching a movie and it took all of two hours. The maps are large, so takes a while to download, and as long to install.

As for a SD card, it is used for about everything else except the maps. pictures (must be jpeg), music (must be MP3), audio books (from audible.com), etc. The Nuvi series can take up to a 16gig card. I would recommend buying a 16gig card, you'll fill it up fast. How long it take to copy music to it depends on how you have it connected to your computer and/or if you are having to convert the codec (say from wav to mp3) when copying to the card.

Here is the link to what size SD cards are supported by Garmin devices;

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={a43e2650-1794-11e0-7efa-000000000000}

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Mine has live time free updates. I do need to plug it into the computer and check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts