GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found nothing, so here we go...

First, if you have a rear rack this mount may get in the way.

Parts needed..
2- 3/16" pop rivets.
3/16" drill bit.
Ram part #344U antenna mounting bracket.

First remove the passenger backrest, it has 2 screws inside the trunk. On my 2012 I had a electrical plug to disconnect.

Next I found the center with a ruler and marked it with a pencil.

Next I lined up the bracket. I placed the mount with the top hole even with the trunk top edge. Made sure it was centered and marked the two holes.

Holes drilled and bracket mounted...

After you route your antenna cable you can re-install the backrest. Be sure to make sure it won't be in harms way. Make sure it won't be pinched or cut.

Heres the finished product, nice and clean.

Hope this helps, thanks for a great site, Smitty :bow:

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
EXCELLENT!!!! :thumbup:

We were discussing this exact solution over on the Electronics Board the other day.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
amazing, that is the exact way I installed my 1st XM antenna back in 2005. You will run into an issue if you have a luggage rack and use it to carry a bag on the rack.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I hate the location of my puck and have been trying to think of a better place to locate it. The bonus is that I already have the Ram bracket so all I have to do is re-route the antenna wire and I'm good to go. Guys like you make this forum a great place to hang out. :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
amazing, that is the exact way I installed my 1st XM antenna back in 2005. You will run into an issue if you have a luggage rack and use it to carry a bag on the rack.
That is exactly why I fabricated and polished my mount ;).
Lots of work but it won't interfere with the rack with a bag attached. Click on thumbnails to enlarge. The shop had some dust floating around when I took the photos :oops:.

Excellent work by the original poster :thumbup:.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess great minds think alike. Mounted mine there last year also after trying several other failed locations. I actually turned the mount over on my installation so the antenna was over the back rest pad and almost vertical instead of the trunk. It doesn't bother the wife (amazingly, since everything else I say or do seems to!) and the trunk top bag doesn't interfere with reception. Orientation doesn't really matter much for the antenna as long as it has a clear view of the sky.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I guess great minds think alike. Mounted mine there last year also after trying several other failed locations. I actually turned the mount over on my installation so the antenna was over the back rest pad and almost vertical instead of the trunk. It doesn't bother the wife (amazingly, since everything else I say or do seems to!) and the trunk top bag doesn't interfere with reception. Orientation doesn't really matter much for the antenna as long as it has a clear view of the sky.
Need pictures:bow:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The best way I dealt with with the XM is to just upgrade to a 2009 or newer and then you won't have to worry about it. LOL

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I mount my XM antenna up front on the bars using a RAM mount but the seat mounting is a nice option and helps to unclutter the front. Thanks for the pictures and a new option:coffee1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts