GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I've been reading & searching for a while and decided to just ask for help instead of doing it solo.......

I have xm roady - using single cigarette lighter power supply in the left pocket. Now I am adding Garmin2620 GPS. The easiest power for this is also the same cig. lighter power supply - so its time to upgrade the power supplies.

What is the preferred wiring arrangement to accomplish power here?
1) add another cig lighter socket someplace on the left side? splitter maybe?

2) wire the gps or the xm directly to the battery (or the spare at the fuse panel) (although I like them to be on a circuit that closes with the key switch)

How has everyone else accomplished this the simplest way? I don't have any plans for needing any more power up at the left pocket than just these 2 units!!

Thanks in advance!!
-Steve
2003 Candy Red Land Yacht
SCRC Savannah, GA
Road Capt/3rd Officer
IBA Pending!!!

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
easy and simple?
put a splitter in the left pocket.

there is enough current there to run both the XM and GPS.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Then you'll want to add the iPod and other electrical items. I would suck it up, as I did and log onto Electircal Connections. There you can find the fused positive electircal panel and the negative block that are really easy to mount. Run everything from these and leave the splitters at home. Then you still have the glove box for your sun glasses and such. I did this and I'm really glad I did. ALL my add on electricals run through these and I like the fact it's all fused...

just my $ .02

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have the left pocket power adapter.

Went to ebay found a 3 port cigarette adapter with weather caps think it was $5.00 or something like that. This one had a 36 inch long cord.

Plugged the end into the one under the left pocket, ran the cord under the cowing attached to my Texelent Bar.

3 plugs for devices, my Garmin 2820 and my MP3 Player if I want to plug it in with one port left over,

Very simple

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Very simple answer. Order the motorcycle hardwire power cord from Garmin. Mine works great and it even has the wires in it so that my voice prompts comes into my headset.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Note - the Garmin M/C cable has the audio output pigtail directly behind the connector on the unit, not at the end of the wiring as expected.

This will work easily if all you want is power, but if you want to connect the audio to the intercom system, you're going to need some additional parts to do this. (including isolation of the audio output from the mic input of the intercom system)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Jon, My 376 came with the hardwire kit. I installed the wires as directed which took about 30 minures and it comes thry my headset. I guess I am confused with what you are explaining. Are we talking about 2 different things?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Yes, the GPSMap units have a different connector and cables as well.

He was asking about wiring a 2620, which uses the cable style that I mentioned.

(PS: The 'Motorcycle' cable for the GPSMap units is configured the same way with the pigtail near the plug. The 'bare wire' cable has the wires available at the bare end.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm still confused! My XM is connected to the left pocket power supply and directs sound through my helmet and speakers, under the Aux on the radio. When the CB comes on it cancels out the music the way it should. Is there a splitter that I can connect to the left pocket power supply that will run both XM and Zumo and still run both through the speakers and helmet, canceling out the music at the appropiate times.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Wolfer, you've got two different issues: you need to get switched power for the Zumo and you need a way to share the AUX input with two music sources.

For sharing the AUX audio input, you'll want to use a Kennedy AuxSwitchSet assembly which will connect one input to your XM radio's audio output jack and the other will connect to the Zumo's output jack on the cradle. This unit will provide the isolation you need between inputs, and between the bike as well and will switch from the XM radio to the Zumo when it speaks or starts playing music.

There is a power output plug available on the AuxSwitchSet module which you could tap into to provide switched power to the Zumo, thus solving both of your problems. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
John; Thanks alot for your help. It's starting to make sense to me now. I'll call you next week and we can put it togeather.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the good ideas. I almost went with the special Garmin cord(I wasn't even aware of this little piece prior) - - but, in the end, I just went with the splitter. $5 at walmart for a new power recepticle with all the splices ready to go. I just spliced into my existing EC power plug wiring, plugged in the GPS, and tucked everything far forward in the void as I could shove it. Hid all the wiring and all looks professional - - it was really easy in the end. I think I was "over-thinking" this little project at the beginning.
Thanks Again-
Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts