GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a copy of an email I received from Garmin about when the Zumo 550 would ship.

Dear Sir,

The zumo has started shipping from Garmin in limited quantities to dealers.
About 1000 shipped in the past week. We expect many more to ship by the
end of the month.

Best Regards,

Brian Borjas
Automotive Support Supervisor
1-800-800-1020

·
Registered
206 Posts
And just how did he get that INFO while the GREAT & MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE "BLADE" can't get that INFO!!! Perhaps a PLANT within a PLANT, this is becoming like the CIA!!! LOL!!!

This is not good!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
xxxrider said:
And just how did he get that INFO while the GREAT & MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE "BLADE" can't get that INFO!!! Perhaps a PLANT within a PLANT, this is becoming like the CIA!!! LOL!!!

This is not good!!!
The ghosts of G. Gordon Liddy and E. Howard Hunt are certainly afoot "plumbing" for information. haha

Hey Garmin! Just release the stupid thing would you there buddy...?!?! :shock:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike,

You posted a note about an owners manual for the Zumo 550, would you please provide me with that URL. I also have one on order.

Thanks,

DubT

·
Registered
319 Posts
DubT said:
Mike,

You posted a note about an owners manual for the Zumo 550, would you please provide me with that URL. I also have one on order.

Thanks,

DubT
Several months ago I posted a link to a draft owners' manual of dubious origins; but it was so early-cobbled and unfinished as to be more of a hindrance than a help. At this point in time, release of the Zumo is imminent, and Garmin assures that before consumers get their hands on it they will populate their own website with the actual owners' manual as they do all their products. This is the first place that I personally check when I boot up my computer each day and the page will shortly contain the full and complete manual. That link is here:

http://www.garmin.com/products/manual.j ... 0-00567-00

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone care to express their opinion on what would be a good choice for a bluetooth phone and bluetooth headset to use with the Zumo?

Steve

·
Registered
319 Posts
UberXY said:
Anyone care to express their opinion on what would be a good choice for a bluetooth phone and bluetooth headset to use with the Zumo?

Steve
Here's a quick primer:

This page on the Garmin website will show you -- via drop-down lists of models sorted by cell phone manufacturers -- all the phones that have been tested to work with the Zumo: http://www.garmin.com/bluetooth/phones.jsp

Additionally, Garmin stresses that this is NOT an all-inclusive list and that other phones very well may work with the Zumo. This has been borne out by posts at least on the GPS Passion website (in their sub-forum www.nuvipassion.com and particularly in this thread, "Nuvi 660 Bluetooth Compatibility" [remember that the Nuvis share the same technology with the Zumo] http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... C_ID=69339).

As far as headsets, bear in mind you would normally only have two choices:

(a) If you use the Zumo's 3.5mm wired output through standard stereo earphones/plugs, you can hear XM radio, MP3 audio in full stereo, and GPS instructions and cell phone output in simulated stereo.

(b) If you use a wireless headset you can only hear MP3 audio (no XM), GPS instructions and cell phone output (and input if you have a mic) in mono.

HOWEVER, if you have a premier communicator setup that accepts wired cell phone and stereo music inputs such as my Autocom Active 7, you should be able to use your that headset/mic setup to receive all of the above music in stereo and spoken word in simulated stereo (i.e., combined mono). Accordingly this amounts to a standard wired setup that would allow you to bluetooth-interface your phone with the the Zumo's on-screen address book and favorites links as normal -- giving you basically all the technology the Zumo has to offer. My Autocom setup is in my full-face helmet which I wear only during winter or on extended trips so I'll probably be making a conscious decision to eschew wireless cell phone usage on my bike for about 10 months a year so I can use my preferred half-helmets for immediate area riding.

If you go exclusively with "(b)" above you should be happy to know that there are getting to be more and more Bluetooth helmet headset combos available, here is one: http://www.2wheeltouring.net/bluetooth/bluetooth.htm. Jon or somebody else more versed in this particular technology would be a better source of info than myself.

Best of luck and ENJOY!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have an Autocom AVi system installed on our "06" and use it for intercom, interfacing with the Honda audio system and both of our cell phones connect to an input in the unit. When I get the Zumo I will order the correct cable from Autocom and it will connect to one of the ports in the unit. Will not need to use the blue tooth at all. The XM radio is connected to the factory auxiliary port.

Wayne

·
Registered
206 Posts
Personally I think the Blue Tooth option was just a gimmick as I don't think that many people really want to be distracted by a cell phone call while riding. The purpose of riding is to get away from all the nonsense and BS and choatic activity in the world. To be free and let the wind blow by you. Not to conduct business or other phone activity while trying to enjoy yourself.

When you get gas if you have to that is the PERFECT TIME to see if you missed any calls or messages or to make a quick call. Any one who rides with me and is constantly stopping for phone calls will be riding with someone else.

The BT feature may be of some use in a car but still you need to limit your distractions while driving but at least it is HANDSFREE but it still requires you to concentrate and interpret what is said along with your response which takes alot of brain power away and 4 people have pulled out in front of me in the last 2 months while looking right at me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mbresso: thanks for the links. I guess I will have to go with the wired version as I need XM. I have an Autocom 7 on my BMW that I might move over. One of these days someone will make a dual simultaneous channel bluetooth set up.

As far as Bluetooth being a fad, I think it's been around since 1994.

As far as the emotional issue of cell phones on bikes, I have one, but it's use is pretty special: only my wife has the phone number, and she does not think it's a good idea to talk while riding. So if the cell interrupts my music, I know it's my wife and I know she would only be calling if she has a pretty good reason. I recommend this; with my cell service, an additional phone is only about $15/month - the price of a modest lunch.

Steve

·
Registered
206 Posts
BT is only going to reach it's potential when it is in stereo which it has just become. However, this Zumo doesn't do that so the only thing that is good about it is it's use in a car. I didn't say it was a fad but a gimmick by Garmin to please & accomodate some users but they could have offered the REAL THING, STEREO BLUE TOOTH and then they would have been head & shoulders above all of the others. They dropped the ball but hopefully they will pick it up in the future when their competitors offer STEREO BT!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts