GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the trigger and ordered today..... Needed a new GPS and really wanted tire pressure monitor. Will post review. Doing BBgold1500 in three weeks....

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Definitely interested in your evaluation sir. I am trying to decide on whether to add this to my bike before I start my LD rides

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Waiting on your review also. :yes1:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Preliminary review...

Hasn't rained in months.... then rains for a whole week starting when I receive my new gps...... then that J O B thing gets in the way of riding....

I played with all the features during the rain storm. I am really liking transferring trip plans from my laptop to gps. I know there are other models that you can do this on. (I didn't have it on my 7 year old nuvi that was on my bike) I loaded my upcoming BBgold ride. Pretty cool. I've played significantly with the tire pressure monitor. (over inflating, under inflating and watching for alerts). You can set the psi where you want to be alerted. I really wanted to get a tire pressure monitor but didn't like the idea of wiring and mounting one more thing to my dash. I will be going for a all day ride this Saturday and post more. So far I really like it....

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
If that model included the ability to play MP3 files then I would seriously look at getting one for my wife's bike.

I'll be interested to hear how you like the TPMS feature. :thumbup:

Pulled the trigger and ordered today..... Needed a new GPS and really wanted tire pressure monitor. Will post review. Doing BBgold1500 in three weeks....

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after two rides....

Took off for a dinner ride Thursday then an all day Saturday ride.

Here are my perspectives.
1. I really like the ability to transfer my ride from the laptop to the GPS.
2.Integrated tire pressure is really cool. I like not having another display. Also, the Garmin sensors have a replaceable battery. Only complaint, while I'm warming up the bike the gps says "tire sensor not connected. Then after a couple of minutes of riding it activates. Not a big deal, just a little annoying. I would have wrote the program not to display tire pressure until it received the signal from the sensors.
3. Very user friendly. The interface is simply and intuitive. It is glove friendly.
4. Not a big fan of the "curvy road" option. It kept taking me off the freeway, sometimes just for one exit to drive a road that had two more curves then the freeway.
5. At first, I didn't think the display was big enough. But after a few minutes of use I determined it was just the right size.
6. Garmin claims it is designed to be used with the left hand. I don't know how to explain this, but it very much is.
7. There are a few more features like fuel range with fuel warnings, bluetooth headset pairing and voice command. I have always turned off the voice on my gps's so I won't be pairing to headset and be evaluating that feature. Not something I want.
8. There isn't the ability to store and play music or audio files. This is not something I wanted nor have any desire to use. So, not a issue for me.

Overall I give it a "A".

·
Registered
126 Posts
I too want to purchase a Zumo. Does the 390LM allow you to stream music via Bluetooth from your IPhone? If I can do that, XM is of no use to me.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
According to Garmin, the 390LM doesn't have the MP3 play functionality like the 660/665/550/450 Zumos have. That is the one piece that kept me away from the 390.

I too want to purchase a Zumo. Does the 390LM allow you to stream music via Bluetooth from your IPhone? If I can do that, XM is of no use to me.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
I have had the zumo665 for several years now,, really like the weather radar, live traffic updates and detours, Plus I use the XMand Mp3 function a lot along with the audio books .. But I have always had a back up on my really long IBA rides.. since my 665 took a temporary dump on my last cross country .. but I dont like the tom tom .. So I will get the 390 with TPMS as my new secondary GPS

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10,000 mile follow up

After several trips and 10K miles.....

Still very happy with it. Love all the features and custom display ability. I don't use the Bluetooth, so can't evaluate that part.

Only fault, every time I start the bike, the tire pressure monitor reads "sensor not connected". Since the wheels haven't moved yet, the sensor is off. As soon as the wheels move, they turn on and all is good. The annoyance lies in this, the "sensor not connected" message. I have to wait for the unit to cycle through this message before I can use the gps. When I am pulling out, it is a very long 10 seconds waiting to get past the message. This is not a deal breaker.... Just a little annoying. Again, Garmin could fix this by changing the program to not look for the sensors until after it senses movement.

Absolutely would buy again!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts