GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an email early this morning, Sept 18., from Garmin announcing a 30 hour sale with 30% off select Garmin products. I noticed the Zumo 396 LMT-s is on sale for $249.99.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/610131/pn/010-02019-00#

Maybe the mods can remove this posting on Sept. 20 :grin2:.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I just saw that too, $250 down from $400. Anybody have comments on this specific Zumo? How difficult is it to incorporate into the Wing's audio system? Sure is tempting.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Looks good. Not a far cry from the Zumo 390 I use now BUT it doesn't appear to have tpms.
Some might find the 4.3 screen a bit small, but it's ok with me.
For the $ I'd be tempted if it had tpms.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I have the 660lm. It works but I would never get a 4.3 size screen again I definitely go much bigger just my two cents
Agree but, I am currently using a Zumo 550 and it is barely over 3.5.

What are the chances that my Kennedy connection for the 550 would work on the 396? Two, I think they are called DIN plugs, like for plugging a headset into your phone or mp3 player, 2.5mm and 3.5mm, I think.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Not biting... Now if they had a sale on the 595LM, maybe.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Vendor
218 Posts
Agree but, I am currently using a Zumo 550 and it is barely over 3.5.

What are the chances that my Kennedy connection for the 550 would work on the 396? Two, I think they are called DIN plugs, like for plugging a headset into your phone or mp3 player, 2.5mm and 3.5mm, I think.
There is no chance that it will work. The Zumo 396 is bluetooth audio only and has no audio jacks.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
There is no chance that it will work. The Zumo 396 is bluetooth audio only and has no audio jacks.
Thank you for that, makes my decision a no brainer. I have bluetooth but it is plugged into the AUX port and I listen to XM mostly.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I bought one a few weeks ago. You all have me to thank for the sale price! You're welcome.

I like it. Some nice surprise features over the nuvi 2797 I've been using. But I'm not thrilled about the BT only mode -- I'm running with a Sena headset so I thought it would be a no brainer but 1st pairing order and then interruptions to bike-to-bike intercom every time the zumo has something to say. It will take some configuring and getting used to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought one a few weeks ago. You all have me to thank for the sale price! You're welcome.

I like it. Some nice surprise features over the nuvi 2797 I've been using. But I'm not thrilled about the BT only mode -- I'm running with a Sena headset so I thought it would be a no brainer but 1st pairing order and then interruptions to bike-to-bike intercom every time the zumo has something to say. It will take some configuring and getting used to.

What is the mount like that is included with the 396? I might bite at 250 just for a dedicated bike GPS for my F6B if I don't have to spend a bunch more to mount it. The details on garmins site are sparse ... or eluding me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What is the mount like that is included with the 396? I might bite at 250 just for a dedicated bike GPS for my F6B if I don't have to spend a bunch more to mount it. The details on garmins site are sparse ... or eluding me.
From what I r ember it comes with every thing you need including the clutch/brake ram mount. U ran the wires back to the battery pretty easy to install.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I r ember it comes with every thing you need including the clutch/brake ram mount. U ran the wires back to the battery pretty easy to install.
Thanks. I was able to get to the actual manual and see that it does include part for both the clutch/brake mount and also a U-bolt for round bars as well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a Garmin 595LM, nice gps. I was a little disappointed with the sun reflection, hard to see. My old 376c screen could be seen in direct sunlight, plus you can load blue charts.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Yes, it's all there, as long as you either have a BT headset or are willing to not have audio (not recommended). No idea if 2018+ will accept it as a BT input, but I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, it's all there, as long as you either have a BT headset or are willing to not have audio (not recommended). No idea if 2018+ will accept it as a BT input, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I don't have a BT headset so there is that to consider as well. Not sure how I feel about not having audio. It's one thing to have the capability and choose not to use it, entirely different story if it's not capable. Will have to think on it for a bit.

I'm a very casual rider these days. I don't tour and hang pretty close to home. For that matter I don't really "need" a gps, but I like tech and gadgets, so there is that.

The price is attractive for sure. Thanks OP for posting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a 396 earlier this year.

I also bought a GPS interface https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HG-GPSIN-GL from Sierra which plugs into the aux audio, plus a usb Bluetooth / 3.5 mm plug. The 396 talks to Bluetooth, then goes to the GPS interface to the aux audio.

I also have a XM radio in the aux connection.

Big advantage is the GPS interface overrides anything that is playing on the infotainment system with instructions.

While the screen is small, it seems usable and with the audio working, I don’t use the maps a lot.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Justin k, thanks for posting that product. Just ordered one and am anxious to see if it solves the glare problem from my hi vis jacket.

Can't vouch for that. My hi-vis yellow is only on the back. Hope it works.
Also, it helps to not have your gps pointing up at you too far.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts