GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Garmin Zumo 396 LMT-S to mount on my 2019 DCT Tour AB this Winter when I tear the bike down for other accessory installs.
Seen a good price on Amazon of $299.

Just reaching out to see if anyone has mounting suggestions, wiring suggestions or anything else I need to be aware of?
Pictures would be awesome....

Never had an external GPS on a bike before.......they have all been builtin, and we all know how great those seem to be. :wink2:
Thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I recently installed this and just used the usual RAM mount using the reservoir bolts, nothing special. I did add this anti-glare as was recommended in this post: Nushield by @Justin K. I followed his suggestion on which one to order and such. Works great and I am a happy camper.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
traxxion mounts them on the little vent right behind the wind shield. makes it inoperable but i think it looks best there. look at the youtube videos about the green bike. he goes into how its routed directly and hidden with other wires. i believe hes working on a mounting plate for that

·
Registered
279 Posts
On dct models there is a dummy clamp where the clutch lever would normally be, remove it and use the Garmin supplied mounts. Places the gps near your left hand and easier to see with bifocals.

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Om suggestion of this board I used Ram mount RAM-B-408-75-1U which makes a nice fit on my 2018 Airbag/DCT model. See picture.

Attachments

Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
72 Posts
I used the same mount as Dutch Harry. There is a very small "nub" there that needs trimming. Probably less than 1mm. I just used a side cutter and snipped it right off.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys........awesome information and great pictures.

Love the left bar idea, removing the dummy clamp and using a RAM Mount.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I also mounted with the supplied hardware from Garmin on the left handlebar. Gv550 is right about left hand usage and visibility. I have a Zumo 595 so lots more wires. Removed the left side cover and poked a 36” cable tie from the back forward, taped the power lead to it and pulled it back through. Tied directly to the battery terminals. Didn’t even have to remove the seat. Took two pokes to get it through and it’s pretty tight to pull back, but it worked.

Don’t wait til winter. Just do it now and get riding.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Waze thru your phone and its free and you can use your dash :)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I had mine mounted on the left handle bar...but found my eyes off the road too often since I like to enter locations on the fly....I mounted mine now right in front of dash board....I can still see dashboard clearly and down the road....at first I did not think I would like in this position...but love it now and it does not interfere with any line of sight...Just my thoughts

Attachments

Reactions: Brian_Fenner

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
I had mine mounted on the left handle bar...but found my eyes off the road too often since I like to enter locations on the fly....I mounted mine now right in front of dash board....I can still see dashboard clearly and down the road....at first I did not think I would like in this position...but love it now and it does not interfere with any line of sight...Just my thoughts

Could you give specific details how you mounted your GPS in the center & how you wired it

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Could you give specific details how you mounted your GPS in the center & how you wired it

What I did is take off the meter panel and top I then fabricated a plate 1/8 aluminum and drilled two holes through the air deflector on top of meter panel (yes it renders it non-usable...but that did not bother me) into the aluminum the plate which was mounted on the underside of the meter panel top and I used two ram mounts stacked on top of each other and slid the mounting screws through the holes and into the plate....secured with red lock tight and reinstalled the meter panel and top I ran the wires (I only use red/black power non of the other wires thus rewired the Garmin back plate) down the seam of the meter panel and top on the underside and then ran the power to a relay that is controlled by the Aux ports of the bike I attached some pictures....I love it in the center....

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts

I like that how did you mount it and how did you run the wires without tearing the bike down

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I like that how did you mount it and how did you run the wires without tearing the bike down
...Sorry...Had to tear bike down...did it when I added all the accessories.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts