GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any comments pro or con? My buddy and are are looking at purchasing a couple. Also best place to purchase, and suggestions on how to intergate them to our 1800 audio systems.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
Looks to be a "cute" unit but I'm glad I got the 2730. Hooking it up to the audio system on the bike is simple. Plug it into the "AUX" jack located in the left pocket. Remember, the only way you will be able to hear the voice prompts is when you're switched to the AUX mode.

Bartman

·
Registered
206 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
Plug it into the "AUX" jack located in the left pocket. Remember, the only way you will be able to hear the voice prompts is when you're switched to the AUX mode.

Bartman
Get a Kennedy Technology cellset device - mix the audio from your GPS over the intercom so you hear it while also listening to music or whatever.

Carl

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
Two big problems with the Zumo.

First off, it has XM weather, but doesn't give you the radar images, which is THE MOST IMPORTANT piece of the weather info you need on the road.

Second, it is under the new MRP program, which means you will have to pay FULL RETAIL for it, and no one will be allowed to discount it. This puts it at around $1,000.

These two items are show stoppers for me, and take it totally out of consideration. Garmin sales are going to suffer because of this MRP policy they are instituting.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good for you; enjoy your potential acquisition. Here's my thoughts:

First off, as you probably already know, it is hard to go wrong with Garmin; they are probably the most premier consumer GPS maker available and their products are high quality indeed. So right off the bat, you're in good company.

Although you can use the Garmin Zumo 550 ("Zumo") in your car, Garmin has marketed it rather deliberately for motorcycles. In fact, it is more accurately very motorcycle-friendly employing some cutting edge engineering that suits bikers to a "T" and which features, some of which are fairly unique, are not available as a whole in any other GPS.

While it's fun to be swayed by the oft-touted claim that it is the "Ultimate in Motorcycle Navigation," the Zumo really isn't the Second Coming. As a GPS it really isn't overwhelmingly better than Garmin's 26xx, 27xx or 28xx series -- those and the Zumo will all get you from Point A to B very efficiently -- but it is more desirable in subtle ways. Some that I personally look forward to utilizing:

• The operation of the unit itself is ergonomically designed to provide you the most convenient way to input or manipulate data -- even while riding and with gloves on (c'mon, we ALL do it, so it may as well be as easy as it can be). Buttons are placed on the left side of the unit to facilitate this (in conjunction with touch screen selections).

UV-resistant display (the first GPS to specifically claim this).

Sunlight readable. My SPIII is often hard to read -- even with a sunscreen attached; but I read a comment by somebody who was at the recent Laguna Seca unveiling and they said it was BRIGHT.

No hard drive, and especially vibration-tested to withstand and specifically hold up to continuous operation on a motorcycle.

Automatic routing to the nearest gas station when your custom-set mileage input advises you are running low on fuel. This is certainly not necessary but nice for me because my VTX doesn't have a dedicated fuel gage.

Rechargeable lithium-ion battery should you want to set or obtain info off the bike or use it while walking.

Complete hardware to physically mount to both your car AND bike (i.e., hardwiring) all included.

Bluetooth operation is present and can be optionally used; otherwise you may certainly utilize the 3.5mm jack in the mount and traditional wired headsets.

All United States maps are fully loaded in the Zumo. You may optionally and supplementally acquire a set for Europe.

Screen size is more than 96% that of Garmin's old flagship model, the SPIII (5.88 sq. in. as opposed to 6.12" sq. in., resp.) with denser pixelization, so it probably GPS-sizing at it's perfection and certainly less cumbersome and obtrusive than say, an Etch-A-Sketch-like Iway. I place my SPIII in my saddlebags when I leave my bike; hell you should be able to stick the Zumo into a largish pocket!

MP3 player -- space for number of songs is predicated on how big an SD card you obtain, and 8GB cards are now available if you'd like say, 2,500 songs.

It uses the high-sensitivity SIRF receiver so that signals are not disrupted in "urban" and natural canyons; this means extremely fast draw and recovery (re-routing) times.

Easily snaps out of a locking cradle -- no wire disconnections necessary.

"Garmin-Lock" anti-theft locking feature.

Oh, and another nice thing, it's also pretty damn CUTE!! :wink:
As far as the XM feature(s), I'm happy with my separate XM radio and am not inclined to pay the extra $250 for the GXM antenna -- ripoff/kaching!

You might want to wait until the Zumo is actually in many of our hands and/or there are some third-party consumer/tech-type reviews out there (or at least until Garmin provides a down-loadable pdf of the manual).

The best place to purchase (actually, pre-order) it may be say, Amazon.com for about $1,000. But if you have other designs for your money and want to save about $250 you can order it at Star Marine Depot (easily Googled) -- that's where I ordered mine from. I paid $785 total which included tax and next-day shipping. But no matter the choice, have fun with whatever GPS you choose. And after you get it, get LOST!

You won't be needing a sunscreen with a Zumo!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Fred H. said:
Second, it is under the new MRP program, which means you will have to pay FULL RETAIL for it, and no one will be allowed to discount it. This puts it at around $1,000.
I think the web guys have already figured a way around it, just like stores have done with Apple products. Since they're not allowed to discount Macs, they do things like throw in extra memory, extended warranty, free printers, etc.

For instance, www.getfeetwet.com is bundling the Zumo with the optional XM antenna, 2nd year of warranty coverage and 2nd day shipping. Then they offer SD cards for it at nice prices, like 512M for $16 up to 2GB for $52 when purchased with the unit.

The "Add to Cart" button isn't there yet, so I can see what the bundled price will be, but knowing these folks it'll make everything well under list price.

By contract, GPSCity.com is charging full list of $999 plus $149.95 for the 2nd year of warranty but they don't list the XM antenna or memory cards (as accessories.)

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
'Second-tier' distributors are not held to the Garmin MRP policy, so they can set their prices where they like. My price on the unit is currently $780, but if Garmin starts raising the price to the distributors to protect the big guys, I could see the discounts drying up pretty quickly.

I'm holding my opinions until I play with one - I imagine it will be as limited on the customization capabilities as some of their entry-level consumer units and power users may not be as excited as they are right now.

I hope the screen display is better than their current 'daylight-viewable' StreetPilot series - I had a 2720 in the sun yesterday and you could hardly read it. The iWay beats these screens 7 ways to Sunday so I hope the Zumo is more like the 276 in this regard...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Jon said:
U had a 2720 in the sun yesterday and you could hardly read it. The iWay beats these screens 7 ways to Sunday so I hope the Zumo is more like the 276 in this regard...
Absolutely -- being able to read this under all conditions and at all times is my primary concern and would make the Zumo's purchase completely justified in my book. Garmin has gone to some lengths in stating specifically that this would be the case. Of course manufacturers can claim anything they want so we can really only wait and see. Hopefully it will get a full 3rd-party review before mine arrives from Star Marine. We'll all know about that and how it performs in all areas somewhere between the time it is pre-release/reviewed and actually appears in our hands (est. Sep 20 to Dec 20 time frame).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Jon said:
'Second-tier' distributors are not held to the Garmin MRP policy, so they can set their prices where they like. My price on the unit is currently $780, but if Garmin starts raising the price to the distributors to protect the big guys, I could see the discounts drying up pretty quickly.

I'm holding my opinions until I play with one - I imagine it will be as limited on the customization capabilities as some of their entry-level consumer units and power users may not be as excited as they are right now.

I hope the screen display is better than their current 'daylight-viewable' StreetPilot series - I had a 2720 in the sun yesterday and you could hardly read it. The iWay beats these screens 7 ways to Sunday so I hope the Zumo is more like the 276 in this regard...
When is your review??? :D

Can we buy it from you?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
mbresso said:
... being able to read this under all conditions and at all times is my primary concern and would make the Zumo's purchase completely justified in my book. Garmin has gone to some lengths in stating specifically that this would be the case. Of course manufacturers can claim anything they want so we can really only wait and see...
From Garmin's 2720 webpage:
  • The StreetPilot 2720 also boasts a new WQVGA, color, automotive-grade, sunlight-readable, touchscreen display that automatically adjusts the unit’s backlight for optimum viewing in any amount of light.
We've seen how readable the 2720 is in bright sunlight - let's see if the Zumo really is that much better. I hope that it doesn't have the screen hazing issue that the 376 has been plagued with.

Two, I'll be reviewing it as soon as I get one in-stock - I've got a few pre-orders in place already, so I'm just waiting for Garmin to start shipping them.

Yes, you can order from me - drop me an e-mail or a PM if you're interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts