GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Garmin Zumo 550 mounted on my 05 Goldwing. I am interested in adding traffic and possibly the Sirius features to this unit but can not figure out how. I am using the Garmin motorcycle mount and have the power wired to the mount. Can anyone help with either part of this? I do realize this is an older unit but my wallet can't seem to part with the money for the latest and greatest. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
You need to purchase or already have a gxm30 antenna and hook it up to the unit and the icons for traffic and weather will load giving you access to those features. Then you can also go into audio source and you should have three options to choose from audio book, mp3, xm. Keep one thing in mind the antenna has the radio id number not the 550. Call Sirius ask for the mobile/marine division and start your subscription. I would tell them you want the 6 month deal for 30 bucks to try there service.

Just a link to the antenna so you know what it looks like !!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-No-Lable-Garmin-GXM-30-Smart-Traffic-Antenna-For-Gpsmap-378-478-396-496/232466876375?hash=item36201b07d7:g:BM4AAOSwUkdZo4gJ:rk:6:pf:0

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
What knklehd1 said is correct. if you have lifetime maps for the device, this thread may be of help.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/5-gl1800-tech-board/424977-zumo-550-a-2.html

You will find the antenna just plugs into the mount.

My Zumo 550 is still in use I think I purchased it in 2007 but not sure and it has been repaired/replaced once by Garmin and then had the buttons repaired by Palmdr.

The traffic and weather information is not very comprehensive compared to later units but still provides some information on events.

I don't remember if you can get the traffic information without a full XM subscription.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
You used to be able to get just the traffic & weather. I don't know about now. I sold my 665 years ago and went to a nuvi that uses Garmin Smartphone Link for traffic & weather data via cellphone and, like @carolinarider10 says, a bit better and a lot cheaper (just a one-time fee of around $7, vs. a monthly subscription).

I don't know if Sirius is less hideous than XM was, but I would try to give them a credit card that expires before they bang through the auto-renewal that was their m.o. a while back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts