GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those using this GPS on the older wing, how does it tie in to the audio system without bluetooth? I presume a 3.5 mm female connector into the aux input male connector. If you are listening to satellite radio does it block audio input from the aux input? I had a Kennedy cell set system on my previous 2002 with a Zumo 550 that integrated everything. Just trying to find out if there will be an additional expense to make everything work together before purchasing. We prefer wired headsets, to save on the price of switching everything to bluetooth and not have charge the helmets often.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
If you just want to use the GPS for directions and play the radio or other things. Use this.
https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HG-GPSIN-GL

As long as you do not want to use your phone through your Zumo, that will work well for hearing the directions. I have a cell set and that with the cell set connecting the mike side of the conversation on my 2010. That gave me the ability to even out the volume better while talking to my non-passenger that called me. I also have a switch that changes Zumo sound to the AUX plug allowing music from the GPS. I do not know of anything else for allowing phone use through the Zumo unless you get a box from J&M that will pick pair with the Zumo in BT and tie it to driver headset. I have one of those too, but I don't like it and rarely use it. Getting directions through that box does not switch fast enough and you miss the beginning of the prompts.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
If you just want to use the GPS for directions and play the radio or other things. Use this.
I have been using one of those with my 595 for a couple years, works very well for listening to the GPS, just press the auxiliary button and hear the GPS, but I have not been able to listen to both the GPS and the FM radio at the same time but that’s ok with me, if I want to listen to FM all I have to do it press the FM button and the GPS sound is turned off.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I just have the Aux for audio. If I want to listen to music with the GPS audio I have songs stored on the mini usb in the Garmin unit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I apologize in advance for thread length.

I appreciate all the suggestions so far. I am leaning toward an inexpensive (~$40) "experiment" with the Electical Connection bluetooth (BT) aux input. It should allow the Zumo to work with the aux button selection into the bike's audio. It will eliminate ground loops. If I later decide to go to BT headsets, this should make that easier as well. I can pair my bluetooth cellphone either to the bike or the Zumo. This would allow use of music stored on/through the Zumo or the cellphone, but not sure how the gps alerts work with music playing (similar to the bike's intercom mute?)

I don't think I would be able to use wired headset mic input to interface with the cell phone this way, but would be pleasantly surprised if it worked. A BT headset should work though. (I understand the safety concern with talking on the phone while driving, and don't use a phone while moving.) The 3.5 mm aux input pin to the bike would be in use by the BT input device, and only the power leads on the Zumo cradle would be needed. Using the mini USB Zumo input for power instead of the cradle power (if the mini USB can provide enough current to charge or run the GPS) might be an option if not blocked by the cradle, but it would not be weather resistant. It should work, if the same mini USB powers the GPS in a car mount. The passenger would be able to hear the gps audio on the bike. Not sure of any limitations on number of paired BT connections this way. This solution would require the bike's audio selection using the Aux button.

Has anyone compared the various BT connection devices from Electrical Connection, Edsets, J&M, Sierra Electronics, Siena, etc? Any pairing limitations found?

The Sierra Electronics solution is the next step for ~$60 to add intercom input using the bike's automatic mute function. That would not use the aux input for music, but enable gps alerts through the intercom. I could use the normal selectable Aux/FM/XM for audio source. If using FM or XM, any music playing simultaneously on the gps would likely automatically mute the normal bike audio, so I would have to ensure the gps music was not left playing when switching audio input buttons. I am thinking this still would not enable mic input to the paired cell phone. It seems that making that leap requires a massive price jump and would require removal of the two added modifications so far (unless a fast switching mic splitter would work).

I used a much more expensive Kennedy Cellset (not sure if they are still in business - if so their website says you can't order online; you have to send an email) on my 2002 GL1800 and a Zumo 550. That had alternator noise that needed an additional ground loop isolator. I think I remember using an isolator from Sierra Electronics that worked well, even after they told me it wouldn't. I think the cellset II-C-0 option from Kennedy would still work, but was unsure which interface to go with. (The whole part selection ordering process involves a two page flowchart and numerous tables which adds to confusion.) They list two gps interfaces for a Garmin gps. The Zumo 595LM was not specifically listed as an option (making me wonder if they are still in business or just haven't updated their literature/website). For those using cellset on the 595LM, which did you select?

From the feedback, it appears the J&M solution connects everything, but may delay switching to gps alerts too much, resulting in cutting off the leading portion of the alert. They have a nice installation video though.

I am hoping that using BT will result in reducing cost down to ~$100 versus $250-$350, plus eliminate unwanted audio noise from alternator or other ground loop sources, and allowing future BT expansion. The massive Zumo cabling cluster can be cut down to just power to the $70 cradle through a 12V cigarette lighter type socket or USB socket with more reasonable length. I am not interested in paying significantly more for similar results, so this isn't a cheap out solution after paying big bucks for a premier touring machine. I understand the mic signal is very small and needs to be amplified, resulting in any induced noise also being amplified (such as the alternator whine issue - making cable routing paths important).

I would hesitate to cut into mic audio cables that might impact whatever EMF shielding is already in use on the cable. Looking at the J&M integrated solution, cable routing all the way back to the rear under the seat could expose the mic audio to the EMF produced by the the alternator if mic audio is in the cables going that far back. Most other options limit this exposure, staying in the front left pocket area except for power to the battery/fuse box for direct/switched power.

Has anyone else done a similar "experiment"? So far I have ordered the Zumo and EC BT Aux input. Wish I would have kept the old Cellset, but was unsure how to reconnect everything to stock configuration after 15 years and no directions retained. It was time to start fresh anyway with the 2017 GL1800.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those using the ~$100 EdSet mic splitter, do you connect the 3.5 mm plug to the Zumo 595LM input?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Getting what you want at minimum expense is always a challenge. Sometimes you get other stuff that you dont really care about. I have a 2004 with CB and aux. input from factory. I wanted to be able to use GPS and also use wireless headsets. My solution was to perform surgery on an older nuvi 1450 and install a 3.5mm output. Connected that to the Aux input on a Sena Freewire hooked to front 5 pin rider's jack for audio and CB feed from factory system. I installed Sena Evo20s units on rider/passenger helmets.
The Freewire is powered from bike via cig lighter plug, so it comes on with key. This is nice for pairing, it happens almost automatically when restarting bike after rest stops and fill ups. I was told that I would need a ground loop isolater for noise, but have no alternator noise. The Freewire and 20s also pairs with my cellphone adding a backup for GPS and Pandora if I am tired of radio. I have placed and answered calls while riding through 20s BT using voice commands. One button push on headset, followed by "Sena call _____". I have asked callers about sound quality and they say it sounds like I'm in my living room. They couldnt believe I was riding my motorcycle.
One nice feature of the sena units is an "ambient mode". SO if you have your helmet on, and you want to talk with someone, say at a gas station, press the ambient button and the external mic picks up sound from outside helmet. You can hear them fine, and it it keeps you from yelling at them.
I have no problem with 8+ hours of use on the helmet units between charges.

It may not be what you are looking for, and I dont mean it to sound like and Ad for Sena. Just wanted to let you know options. Total cost = @$750 plus one obsolete Garmin.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have a 2004, with a Garmin 660. I use the GPSIN-GL18 with the 3.5 audio line connected to the Garmin with the bike intercom set "on". Directions come in over the intercom; like having a 2nd back seater.

Sierra Electronics - $60.00

I can also Bluetooth it in using a J&M Bluetooth device via CD interface, but then I cant listen to FM radio. Much pricier option.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered the Sierra GPS input device for the GL1800. The Zumo 595LM has 2 female 3.5 mm jacks, one for input and one for output. If the 660 is similar, which did you use connected to the Sierra Electronics device?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts