GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read here and on other sites talk about some riders having issues with using Basecamp and a Zumo 595LM for making and using routes they made in Basecamp.
Just recently upgraded my old reliable Zumo 550 to Garmin's top of the line Zumo 595LM, so decided to test it out today. Using Basecamp for Mac I set up a route here
locally with about a dozen turns out and a second route with about the same amount of turns coming back. Loading both routes onto the 595LM and then set out for a ride
to see if it would direct me exactly as I had planned for each route. It worked like a charm. All direction instructions were said correctly and I arrived at the end point going out
and got home safely coming back. I even deliberately did not turn at a street the 595LM told me to turn at just to see if it would recalculate me to my next turn. Not only did it
not complain about my error, it also did not tell me it was recalcutaing, it just routed me to my next turn. To be fair I had made a paper copy of the New England Riders, Learn
Basecamp for Macs several years ago and leant a thing or two to make life very easy to use Basecamp and routing for my Zumo 550. I just followed the same proceedure using
Basecamp with my Zumo 595LM. One really import rule I learnt was after setting up a route in Basecamp I always use the, "Recalculate Route" tab to make sure Basecamp still
shows my route exactly as I had layed it out. Also make sure the Avoidance set up matches perfectly the same for both Basecamp and my GPS. I've only come a cross a couple
of routes I had followed while on a trip that had me riding in the wrong direction, however later I had discovered the mistake was my fault, not Basecamp or my GPS. Can't
recommend enough learning to use Basecamp from New England Riders for both PC & Mac. Check them out at https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp_PC_19.pdf
or https://www.newenglandriders.org/GPS/Learn_BaseCamp_Mac.pdf

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Is Basecamp only for Garmin, or can it work with TomTom and others, if you know?
Also, is it only for new Garmins or has it been around a while and is backward compatible with older units? If you know...Txs.
My understanding is that the Basecamp program is for Garmin gps products only and since released till today works with all Garmin gps units. However not 100% sure about all units. Garmin would be the people to ask at 1 866 429-9296 or check out their website at Garmin.com/support.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
NO. Basecamp is for any device that will work with .gpx files.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[/QUOTE]
NO. Basecamp is for any device that will work with .gpx files.
Thanks Whisper Jet, you are right. I forgot about routes made in Basecamp that can be saved as .gpx files
and used in other devices and programs that can use them.
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just to be clear, if you make a route using Basecamp and save it as a .gpx file you can then
transfer it to any gps that excepts .gpx files. I would think you would have to save the .gpx file
to somewhere on your computer and then transfer it to a gps like TomTom or others, but since
I've never used anything else but Garmin products not sure, but it make sense.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is Basecamp only for Garmin, or can it work with TomTom and others, if you know?
Also, is it only for new Garmins or has it been around a while and is backward compatible with older units? If you know...Txs.
Basecamp will work to generate a gpx file which can be used by many GPSs and phone apps. There are a few considerations though. First, Basecamp does not have a routeable map built in. If you have a Garmin map you can download the same map on your GPS from Garmin's servers to your computer. Most folks who don't have Garmin maps use a free map downloaded from Open Street Maps (OSM). Using a different map than what is in you GPS can result in differences in the route.

The GPX file generated by Basecamp contains more information than generic gpx files. In some cases the Basecamp GPX file has to be converted to a generic GPX file in order to be used properly by a GPS.

We have a learning document on our website "Using Basecamp with a TomTom GPS" written by one of our members who uses Basecamp with both a Garmin GPS and a TomTom GPS. You might find it helpful. It's available along with our other Basecamp & GPS learning documents at:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Here is a PDF with hotlinks to all of Don Norwood's YouTube video lessons on Garmin's BaseCamp. Putting it here for anyone who wants quick access to this resource. Just download it, put it on your desktop, and click the video you want. I got on his YouTube channel but these aren't shown there, and other than the listing provided here on GL1800 Riders posted by ScottR back in 2014, they don't seem to be too easy to find. I'm guessing the software works a bit differently now in 2020 but think there is still value in watching these vids. Remember you can up the speed, since Don speaks a bit slow for my preference (and maybe yours).

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts