GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on a mount solution on top of the dash of a gen 2 GL1800? Also, how did you route power/use the cradle (drill hole in the top of the dash or squeeze in between the dash and windshield which might interfere with the ability to raise or lower the screen). Seems like viewing the gps would be better in a more direct line of sight, that doesn't block the rest of the dash. I presume a helibar type between handlebar mount would block the dash view.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Check out Yoda's posting in the Inventor Hobby Shop section of this forum. He has a mount that might meet your needs.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Reactions: KYWinger

·
Registered
21,025 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use the EZ mount with 7in Garmin works great. https://www.ez-gpsmount.com/
I, also, have a 7" Garmin and use the EZ Mount. In my humble opinion, it's the best way to go. Mine is the dezl model so I have an audio output so I ca listen to directions in my helmet if the sun is over my shoulder.... the EZ Mount puts your Garmin right where it needs to be.

Reactions: slolane

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you use an EZ GPS Mount and have a Zumo 595LM, did you also need the Zumo adapter? The website appears to imply that you don't need anything extra if you have a nuvi, but Zuma's need an extra adapter, and everything else needs a universal adapter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another EZ GPS Mount question: any experience with fatigue cracking/failure on the windshield vent? Is there any kind of stress relief?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those using the Electrical Connection Dash GPS mount, is there any concern for sealing the holes in the dash against possible leakage into the electronics area?

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you use an EZ GPS Mount and have a Zumo 595LM, did you also need the Zumo adapter? The website appears to imply that you don't need anything extra if you have a nuvi, but Zuma's need an extra adapter, and everything else needs a universal adapter.
I just ordered mine for the 595LM and there is an adapter for the Zumo. I should have it this week some time. I'll let ya know how it looks.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have a 7" dezl Garmin and I had to add a small brace to the dash to keep it from bouncing.... 4 years on, no cracks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Squeeky,

I received the mount and the zumo adapter. For the 595LM, you will need the $20 adapter.

It was a pain to install as there were no instructions- they also didn't send the adapter so I had to wait for that piece another week. ��

Incase you don't get the instructions like me:

You need to attach EZ mount to the windshield first without the Zumo on it.

Then attach the adapter to zumo mount. Then attach the adapter to the EZ mount.

Here is a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Another EZ GPS Mount question: any experience with fatigue cracking/failure on the windshield vent? Is there any kind of stress relief?

No issues after 40K on my EZ mount with a 5” Garmin GPS Nüvi.
Simple install, I ran the cord down around the back side dash and through left pocket bottom hole and use the cigarette lighter plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you need to remove/loosen the windshield to get the wires down the backside of the dash? It wouldn't be difficult, just more to do if needed.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

I have a 7” Garmin Dezl also and use the EZ mount and a Yoda mount for stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts