GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding a Garmin Zumo XT to my 2012 Goldwing. I have no helmet speakers, and no bluetooth capabilities on my bike. Will I be able to hear the integrated speaker on the XT, or will I just be relying on watching the GPS and following the onscreen prompts for proximity of upcoming turns?
All input/advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
679 Posts
There's nothing to plug into on the Zumo XT. I just went out and tried the external speaker. I could hear the audio OK with the motorcycle off and sitting still. With the motorcycle on at a fast isle, I couldn't hear it and I didn't have a helmet on. It's a shame because it's a great GPS and it has the best screen I've ever seen on a GPS including my built in GPS screen.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
No way you'll hear it.

Audio is not essential but nice to have. You'll miss turns without it, and/or keep having to look at the GPS.

If you're super bold with your brand new XT, you can hack a line out and route it to bike Aux in. See Greg Rice - Garmin 2797 - Garmin Dezl 770

Realistically, you'd be better off getting a cheap old model BT headset (not too old, for BT version and battery) and using it just for GPS. You could even put it in a pocket and run ear buds up from it if you don't want it on your helmet all the time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No way you'll hear it.

Audio is not essential but nice to have. You'll miss turns without it, and/or keep having to look at the GPS.

If you're super bold with your brand new XT, you can hack a line out and route it to bike Aux in. See Greg Rice - Garmin 2797 - Garmin Dezl 770

Realistically, you'd be better off getting a cheap old model BT headset (not too old, for BT version and battery) and using it just for GPS. You could even put it in a pocket and run ear buds up from it if you don't want it on your helmet all the time.
Problem with that is my helmet fits so snug that when I've tried to insert bluetooth speakers, it is a VERY uncomfortable fit.
Thanks for the suggestions. if I don't add a better bluetooth speaker setup, I may have to just keep regularly checking the GPS to be aware of upcoming turns.

·
Registered
918 Posts
There are Bluetooth receivers that the AUX plug will plug into and fit in the side pocket. There are some that are powered by USB that can be on a switched power and will AUTOMATICALLY turn on and pair up with a device like a GPS or phone.
I was browsing them late the other night and hadn't settled on any yet.

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found this and ordered it from Newegg. $8.99+tax and free shipping. Amazon has it also for about 50cents more.
Cybertech is supposed to be a decent product. It has auto reconnect.
Reviews say it is a little tight if you use a 2 usb port since this is rounded a little.

CyberTech BriteLink USB Bluetooth Speaker Adapter /Wireless Music Receiver with A2DP Technology, 3.5 mm Stereo Output for Home Audio Stereo, Car Aux In, Portable Speakers - Newegg.com
Thanks, this could very well be the answer to my dilemma, and in a most economical way too. Bonus!
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
^ be wary of those BT doodads. Many devices that will work perfectly well for streaming media (e.g. from your phone or mp3 player) will not pair with the zumos because the zumo is looking for a BT headset protocol, not A2DP. I have run into that problem before, BT is not one-size-fits-all. Unfortunately I don't have a specific model to suggest or bash, only the chicken little warning. XT may support directions over A2DP, too, so IDK if this is in play for you. If it works, I was wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

Understood about no room for speakers. I prefer using noise isolating ear buds, even when there is room for speakers. You can't not have room for them. Etymotics has a few good value in-ear models. Ear protection plus speaker in one. Route down to device in your pocket, or to helmet headset with line out and don't even bother installing the speakers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, this is good information to have too. I'll do some more research, ruminate a bit before making that decision.

·
Registered
918 Posts
This is what i found and a List of Garmin GPS is at the bottom of page.
According to the Support Center....... Garmin GPS uses A2DP

Hopefully it will work.:)

The Cybertech says it supports A2DP

EDIT: I looked at the wrong product on these protocols. Too many papers laying around my desktop.
Not sure about the other protocols for the Cybertech: AVRCP, AVDTP, HFP and HSP

·
Registered
918 Posts
The Cybertech only had the Music Player come through to bike on AUX. Not Nav. Audio.

Garmin had me send them files off my Zumo XT and said the Cybertech won't send Nav Audio since it only had A2dp protocol. They weren't any help at all.

I found this one and IT WORKS GREAT!!!!!!

Amazon says it is 2.1+EDR and pretty well all the protocols. You'll see on the listing on Amazon.
The package said 3.0+EDR and A2dp. Doesn't mention any of the other protocols but apparently it has the hands free protocol for headsets like the listing says.

There are so many similar ones it is ridiculous.

Adjust the sound mixer to get the levels where you want them. This receiver has pretty high gain.

·
Registered
918 Posts
This is the cheapest one like this i found on E-bay. Says the same 2.1+EDR and all the protocols. Hopefully is upgraded to the 3.0 like the Amazon.

·
Registered
918 Posts
with QOFOWIN bluetooth receiver:
If the MUSIC PLAYER is ON the Nav Audio overrides the music until is is done talking and music comes back on.

If the MUSIC PLAYER is ON the Phone notification doesn't pop up.
If the MUSIC PLAYER Is OFF the Phone notification pops on the screen.

Not sure if you can talk to person on the phone. I turned my corded headset on but by myself just couldn't tell. Need another person to try it sometime.

·
Registered
918 Posts
This one supposedly has all of these: A2DP,AVRCP, AVDTP, HFP and HSP ... Version 3.0 +EDR
Strange it only says the A2DP and version 3.0+EDR on the package.

I only wasted less than $10 on the first one. Should have done more research before ordering the first one.

·
Registered
20,839 Posts
Well I used my Zumo XT for the first time today, just using the external speaker I can hear it fine at idle, at 60 mph I can still hear it but Often not well enough to understand what it’s saying but well enough to make me look at the screen, riding around town I can hear it well enough as long as there isn’t a loud vehicle nearby. So far the weak external speaker is my only complaint about the new XT. The New screen is fantastic compared to my old Zumo 595 which has no external speaker, I find it hard to believe Garmin still hasn’t Completely learned their lesson about external speaker, many folks don‘t want to spend $500 for a GPS and then be forced to spend hundreds more for Bluetooth crap in order to hear it.

·
Registered
918 Posts

·
Registered
20,839 Posts
Yes I might eventually attempt the Bluetooth crap On the wing. I already have a Sena 20s EVO that I use to hear my Zumo 595 when riding the Tenere, it works well for listening to the GPS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts