GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been getting gas smell in my garage after riding on hot days, [and their has bee a few here in Arizona] The smell reaches inside the house some times. Been experimenting, and if I put it on the center stand after I shut it off, It doesn't seem to do it, Has any one else had this problem? and what have you done?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Most likely coming from the evaporative canister in the front of the engine, right above the oil filter. It fills up with unburned gas and has charcoal in it to help hold it. It is part of the emission system.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mine does the same thing, it's horrible! I've taken to leaving it outside for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have never had that smell from my 01. I always park it on the side stand. The KEY is, DON'T OVER FILL IT WITH GAS.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Doesn't matter on my 05 how much fuel you have in it! Only seems to do it on really hot days though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I had this problem after my 12K service, took it back three times to no avail. I did my own 16K service, problem traced to the DM not reconnecting the vent hose to the gas tank.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,283 Posts
The evap canister catches and holds the gas fumes. If you have this occuring, either your evap system has a problem or you are over filling the gas tank at some point and liquid gas is getting sucked into the canister. When liquid gas gets in there it will drip out on the inside of the lower cowl and stink up your garage. That vent hose is the evap system hose and it's easy to get it pinched or knocked off when messing with the shelter.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just bought my 2001 a month ago. I noticed that it sucked air when losening the gas cap.
I Was cutting out after filling it up.
What the problem was is the vent line down by the canister was hooked up to the drain off the canister. I un hooked it and problem solved.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just bought my 2001 a month ago. I noticed that it sucked air when losening the gas cap.
I Was cutting out after filling it up.
What the problem was is the vent line down by the canister was hooked up to the drain off the canister. I un hooked it and problem solved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts