GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to have my fuel pump replaced due to bad gas.
Now my gas gauge show full at first when I fill up then it start dropping to empty
In about 100 miles and fuel light come on. I still have about 3 gal. left in the tank.
My dealer replaced the fuel pump again but I still have the same problem.
Anybody have any ideal what to do now.

·
Registered
626 Posts
They bent the rod that holds the float. Not sure wich way it needs to be bent to make it more like it was, but I'am sure it can be done, maybe someone that has set one will chime in.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
The service manual shows a float assy. on the fuel pump that they call "fuel pump side level sensor".
Forward of the opening in the tank that houses the fuel pump is another opening (hole) with another sending unit that is called "a fuel level sensor".
Hope this helps you and your dealer out. ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bent float or a short

Fox has the number one choice but there's a chance that the wiring has a short. The lower tank sensor located with with the pump is wired in series with the upper tank sensor. If the lower sensor, connector, etc., is shorted then the gauge only reads the upper sensor so the gauge reads empty when the tank is still half full.
--Lee

They bent the rod that holds the float. Not sure wich way it needs to be bent to make it more like it was, but I'am sure it can be done, maybe someone that has set one will chime in.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had to have my fuel pump replaced due to bad gas.
Now my gas gauge show full at first when I fill up then it start dropping to empty
In about 100 miles and fuel light come on. I still have about 3 gal. left in the tank.
My dealer replaced the fuel pump again but I still have the same problem.
Anybody have any ideal what to do now.
If it is a 1800, then there is a two pin connector under the cross member that feeds the fuel guage. :shock:

·
Vendor
21,693 Posts
There are two sending units in the GL1800. The large one in the front of the gas tank is responsible for the majority of the measuring and takes control from full down to about a 1/4 of a tank.

The second sending unit is on the bottom of the fuel pump, and it is responsible for readings below 1/4 tank and also controls the Low Fuel light, and also acts to shut off the fuel pump before it can be run dry.

They are essentially two variable resistors in series with each other.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got bent float rod repaired today

They bent the rod that holds the float when they replaced the
fuel Pump.

Thank everbody for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts