GL1800Riders Forums banner

gas leak

2K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  techdude2000 
#1 ·
A few months ago, I removed the white plastic splash guard (proper name?) from the filler opening on my 2018. It makes filling so much easier, but I have a tendency to now fill almost all the way to the bottom of the opening in order to get the most miles between fill ups.

On my recent day trips, I would fill up, then ride the bike away from the pump and into a parking space. I would go in to use the bathroom and when I came out, I would see a small wet patch of gas under the bike. It wasn't much...guessing about an ounce...and it never seemed to happen on the first fill up of the day.

Is the overflow happening because the entire bike (engine/tank/etc) is warm and the pressure increases slightly when the gas cap is replaced? Or could there be a problem with my charcoal cannister?

I'm sure I just need to take it easy with my fills and leave a bit more room. I just want to make sure there isn't another minor underlying issue.

#2 ·
A few months ago, I removed the white plastic splash guard (proper name?) from the filler opening on my 2018. It makes filling so much easier, but I have a tendency to now fill almost all the way to the bottom of the opening in order to get the most miles between fill ups.

On my recent day trips, I would fill up, then ride the bike away from the pump and into a parking space. I would go in to use the bathroom and when I came out, I would see a small wet patch of gas under the bike. It wasn't much...guessing about an ounce...and it never seemed to happen on the first fill up of the day.

Is the overflow happening because the entire bike (engine/tank/etc) is warm and the pressure increases slightly when the gas cap is replaced? Or could there be a problem with my charcoal cannister?

I'm sure I just need to take it easy with my fills and leave a bit more room. I just want to make sure there isn't another minor underlying issue.
It more than likely the heat from the engine & sun is expanding the fuel in the tank while it sets there and some is coming out of the overflow tube like it is supposed to, that is why they do not want you to OVERFILL IT!! Thats why the tube is in there. Especially on the side stand!! Running down the road you use a little and the wind is keeping it cool. Fuel expands with heat as does oil. Contracts when cold, dats what my science teacher taught us!!!! lol...

#32 ·
I had tried to get the insert out but could not do it. I finally just stick the gas into tank and wait for it to shut off. I filled up when my gas light came on which means i have a gallon left. I filled up and it took 4.2 gallons instead of 4.5 when you fill to the top. Not worth a few extra miles in my opinion.

#3 ·
How many additional miles do you think you get with the splash guard gone?

#5 ·
Once while on a road trip, I filled up the tank and topped it off pretty good...after the fill up I was drinking some water and noticed that gas was flowing out of the hose under the bike...I mean it was flowing and starting to puddle under the bike. I was shocked at first and walked over to the bike to move it away from the gas pump and the gasoline that was under the bike ...started the bike and rode it over to a clear spot in the parking lot..shut the bike off and the gas flow stopped...really gave me a scare 600 miles from home...anyways, I've never tried to top off the fuel tank like that again and have never had that issue again...BTW I still have that white plastic splash guard in my fuel tank.

#8 · (Edited)
If you still have the "jet nozzle" (more correctly named), put a big hole in the side where it shrinks in diameter and re-insert it such that the hole is not where the nozzle will shoot at the hole (hole on same side you fill from). Now, you will have a visual stop point filling to the bottom of the modified tube. I put two smaller holes in mine opposite of each other and quickly found that I had to turn it so the holes were front/rear instead of on sides. I would get a little splash back off the holes. But that small splash was minor to the spew the "jet nozzle" causes unmodified. You also could cut one side of the lower end off then re-insert it to use the other side as a measuring stick for when to stop. I too enjoyed having that jet nozzle gone never risking gas shot in my face (came close a few times), but I could never gas up and park without getting a little puddle underneath. The modification will still allow you to overfill if you do not watch the level; but the alternative of a face full of gas is never good. With the jet nozzle in place and unmodified, I was guaranteed splash out even with the vapor recovery boot on the nozzle required by CA.

Another hole in directly opposite this one. No more "Old Faithful" fuel-ups!
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Synthetic rubber

#20 · (Edited)
I find, and we all know, that some gas pumps have higher pressure or have cut offs that work or don't work correctly. Sometimes a pump nozzle will cause gas to splash out the top of the filler hole where the next one doesn't.
If you still have the "jet nozzle" (more correctly named), put a big hole in the side where it shrinks in diameter and re-insert it such that the hole is not where the nozzle will shoot at the hole (hole on same side you fill from). Now, you will have a visual stop point filling to the bottom of the modified tube.
I wonder if a cut all the way from the "hole" to the bottom of the tube would prevent a "shoot at the hole"?

I've considered removing the gas filler tube...But it's not worth gaining 2.783 miles a tank.😄

Dan, if you think about it, the gas from the pump is coming from tanks underground so it's pretty cool and contracted. It goes into the small tank then you move the bike to front of the convenience store so you can use the bathroom and and stand in line to pay for something to drink. 5 minutes later that 6ish gallons of gas gets HOT and expands. By design, that's why the overflow hose is installed on all gas tanks.

Reactions: LDimick
#9 ·
If I know I am going to be filling it too the brim I am sure to do all of my other activities first, bathroom, drinks, snack etc. That way by the time the gas is warming up enough to expand that much I am using it and well down the road.🏍 zoom zoom 🏍

#10 ·
There have been a few times that i tried to fill as much as possible while on a long trip and I had gas go all over the paint cause of the stations pumps. They just dont let you do it. Some are slower than others and can be done. I have not modded my tank either. Now, i dont try to get that extra bit in there anymore

#12 ·
I track MPG's with a spreadsheet. I like to be able to fill to the same spot each time (within reason) and it is hard to do with Old Faithful spewing/bubbling over. I will have to modify mine after reading all the posts.

Reactions: DanPrecision
#13 ·
Just a thought, when I fill my tank to the max, I use the center stand and don't have that issue. My Valkyrie will pee if I top off the tank while on the kickstand. I never use the kickstand anymore after learning that and now the center stand is used 99.9% of the time. I never had the peeing issue with the 18' Wing since it is always been filled on the center stand.

#15 ·
Wow, all I can say is Honda must have "fixed" whatever was "wrong" with the filler tube...

My new 2022 Tour now at almost 3k miles. I have filled it numerous times, obviously, and never had a drop of gas jump out of the nozzle hole!

All my fillips have been in southern CA, so all have involved the vapor gather device that fits onto the fill hole, with a cutoff switch in the device that must be hand held at the end if I want to get every drop possible into the tank.

However, I don't do that. I push the nozzle into the hole and find where the cutoff switch just makes to allow flow. I fill at max flow rate until the switch cuts off. Pull the nozzle out, glance down to see gas level in the tank. It is usually right up to the bottom of the white plastic opening. Button it up and go.

Never the slightest problem with geysers, or even a dribble.

Sure am glad Honda fixed this. I really hate smelling like gas all day.

#18 ·
Hummmm......Never removed the nozzle on my 2019 or my 2022 and never had an issue with jettisoning fuel out the nozzle.
I take it easy filling fuel and don't try to set a NASCAR pit crew speed record. 😜
On my '22 with the reserve tank I need to let it sit several seconds anyway to equalize fuel levels in both tanks (9.1 gallons total).

As far as the fuel coming out the hose when over filled, the bike is doing what Honda designed it to do........plus you end up saturating your charcoal canister.

#19 ·
Add me to the list of never having a fuel spit-back issue on my '22. I fill all my bikes while seated on it, upright (with the exception of the V-Rod; tank is under the seat). No issues with any of them.

Reactions: Brian_Fenner
#23 ·
For the OP, the "leak" is due to the expansion and probably accented by leaving the bike on the jiffy stand. AND, yes, your charcoal can is probably saturated and would likely benefit if you stopped flooding it.

prs

#24 ·
And this is why I regularly urge posters to be precise (no pun intended) in their language and use correct technical terminology, especially when it comes to diagnosing bike issues.

DanPrecision, your bike is not “leaking.” gasoline. As others have pointed out, if you “overfill” your gas tank (up to the brim of the filler opening, for example), then park your bike on a very hot day with a hot engine (especially on the sidestand), the gas will expand slightly due to heat and run out through an OVERFLOW TUBE.

It’s happened to me on my ‘19 DCT Tour and on previous bikes, like my ‘14 BMW R1200RT.

This overflow is simply the result fuel expansion. IT IS NOT A “leak”, as others have pointed out.

Don’t worry about it. Don’t fill to the top of gas tank’s opening on a hot day if you’re going to park immediately afterwards.

Tim

#25 ·
From what I’ve seen, there’s no overflow hose. There’s a spill hose that routes anything spilled around the outside of the filler neck to the ground and there’s a drain hose on the evap canister that will drip liquid gas out of it if it gets sucked in. Just like the older 1800 wing, the gas tank should not be filled to the cap. There needs to be room for expansion so the evap system doesn’t suck liquid gas into the canister and ruin the charcoal.

#27 ·
I don’t know if there is an overflow tube or not. Many (most?) motorcycles do.

The question of tubes (one of which might be for fuel overflow) has been discussed here previously. I found the thread, but couldn’t figure out how to make a link to it.

It’s labeled, “Tube hanging under 2018 DCT”. There are pics.

Fyi.

Tim

#34 ·
I don’t know if there is an overflow tube or not. Many (most?) motorcycles do.

The question of tubes (one of which might be for fuel overflow) has been discussed here previously. I found the thread, but couldn’t figure out how to make a link to it.

It’s labeled, “Tube hanging under 2018 DCT”. There are pics.

Fyi.

Tim
Yep, the first pic shows two hoses and the second picture shows the evap canister on the left with one of those two hoses connected to it. One of those hoses is a fresh air vent hose for the canister and the other one is the drain that empties any liquid fuel that’s gotten sucked into it. The only other hose is for the spill tray around the top of the tank for accidental spills. If the tank actually had an overflow hose, it couldn’t pass the emissions requirements because the hose would leak fuel vapor from the tank even when it’s not overly full. The 18-19 service manual shows all three hoses and where they are attached.

#29 ·

There was a pervious thread, maybe more than one, regarding removing that white thing in the gas neck. Here's the bottom line.......................and it CANNOT be argued with any FACTS......... Honda put that thing in there for a reason. I have no clue why specifically, But, I can guess. Regardless of my guesses, yours and the man in the moon, it's there for a specific reason. Of THAT, there simply is no question. Sooooo........................ leave it alone. The end.

Not for nuttin'........................you're filling it to get more mileage out of that tankful ??? How much more mileage between fill-ups are you getting ?? MAYBE...............MAYBE an extra 2 miles ????

Put that thing back in there and don't touch it. Mr. Honda put it there for a reason. He knows WAAAY more than you and I and anyone else about his bike. WHO CARES what the reason is ??

# 2 1/2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.