GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
In order for me to notice any mileage difference using Econ, I would need to stay at speeds 65 and less.
Driving at 70+ only gets me around 45 mpg.

·
Registered
792 Posts
If driving a steady 70 on the slab will the modes make any difference in milage at a steady speed

My wife rides her Goldwing in "ECON" mode whenever she's is able to use with her cruise control and has gotten as high as 53.3 MPG at 70 MPH. On my Tour when riding along with her at same speed and mode I get around 48.7 MPG. Both bikes are DCT. Must be the heavier load on my bike making the difference in mileage. :shrug:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Assuming CONSTANT throttle, and a NO WIND condition, and zero road grade, the gas mileage should be the same for any CONSTANT speed/engine combination RPM, regardless of the mode you are in.

The mode will make a difference WHENEVER you VARY THE THROTTLE.

Riding back roads in Indiana at cruise control set 40 miles an hour, using the economy mode, I regularly get 48 – 49 miles per gallon with moderately frequent stop signs to contend with.

Hope this helps!

JG

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Assuming CONSTANT throttle, and a NO WIND condition, and zero road grade, the gas mileage should be the same for any CONSTANT speed/engine combination RPM, regardless of the mode you are in.

The mode will make a difference WHENEVER you VARY THE THROTTLE.

Riding back roads in Indiana at cruise control set 40 miles an hour, using the economy mode, I regularly get 48 – 49 miles per gallon with moderately frequent stop signs to contend with.

Hope this helps!

JG
Agreed, should make no difference if all other factors are the same.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
861 Posts
My wife rides her Goldwing in "ECON" mode whenever she's is able to use with her cruise control and has gotten as high as 53.3 MPG at 70 MPH. On my Tour when riding along with her at same speed and mode I get around 48.7 MPG. Both bikes are DCT. Must be the heavier load on my bike making the difference in mileage. :shrug:
How much taller and wider are you relative to your wife? Air resistance dominates above ~40 MPH. It's not the weight, it's the size of the wall being pushed through the air. I know if I "tuck" down for 20 minutes, my MPG shoots way up.

·
Registered
792 Posts
How much taller and wider are you relative to your wife? Air resistance dominates above ~40 MPH. It's not the weight, it's the size of the wall being pushed through the air. I know if I "tuck" down for 20 minutes, my MPG shoots way up.
I'm 6'4" and she is 5'10". I'm definitely wider in the shoulders, her windshield is 16" at full height (which she rarely extends to full height on warm days and wears a full face hel) and of course mine is 20" which I typically keep fully extended at freeway speeds since i wear a 3/4 helmet. :smile2:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Riding in rain mode vs tour mode seemed to get about 20 miles more per tank (with mostly interstate speeds). In tour I seem to get 180-200 miles and rain mode was getting about 200-216ish. I think the bike opening up the throttle slower really has a dramatic impact over the course of the entire fuel tank.

That being said, tour mode is more fun. On long trips and running a full tank of fuel out to the next station it seemed like I got considerable more range with it in rain mode though.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Riding in rain mode vs tour mode seemed to get about 20 miles more per tank (with mostly interstate speeds). In tour I seem to get 180-200 miles and rain mode was getting about 200-216ish. I think the bike opening up the throttle slower really has a dramatic impact over the course of the entire fuel tank.

That being said, tour mode is more fun. On long trips and running a full tank of fuel out to the next station it seemed like I got considerable more range with it in rain mode though.
180 to 200 miles per tank seems to be low. i was able to get 230-240 in tour mode. you mustve had a headwind. running 85-90 i dipped to about the 190-200 mark. i always ride in tour on the highway

1 - 11 of 11 Posts