GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get an idea what the average MPG is on the 1800. Mine has around 10,000 miles on it and is a 03 and I have noticed a drop in milage. Had ECM done a while back. Maybe the Sheets low grade gas I'm using, don't know. What do you guys normally get MPG wise and out of a tank of gas.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My '02 1 up averages 43 around town and high 40's (sometimes low 50's) on the open road as long as I keep it below 70mph.

·
Registered
264 Posts
About the same here. I live at 7000' and am not easy on the throttle, but I think my high milage is related to the altitude. If I lived at a lower altitude, I'm sure the milage would drop.

·
Registered
837 Posts
MPG on mine is usually between 40 and 45. A lot depends on your wrist, and as mentioned, altitude seems to effect it also. The higher you go, the better your mpg.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I have always done 28mpg to 36mpg. But I have a wrist.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just checked my gas spreedsheet for '03. From 3/15 to 11/20 a total of 11764 miles on about 295 gal. = about 39.9 mpg. About 4800 miles pulling the Bushtec. I think the owners manual said no hard or full throttle for the first 300 miles. After that I did not spare the throttle.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
my 2002 has averaged 43 mpg for the last 43,000. Has been as low as 29 and as high as 51 mpg.

·
Registered
824 Posts
HAWK said:
Just checked my gas spreedsheet for '03. From 3/15 to 11/20 a total of 11764 miles on about 295 gal. = about 39.9 mpg. About 4800 miles pulling the Bushtec. I think the owners manual said no hard or full throttle for the first 300 miles. After that I did not spare the throttle.
Hawk, I'm not picking on you, just using the numbers you gave as an example. The odometer/speedometer is known to have a 4 to 6 percent error built in by mother honda. So if we take your 11764 miles and factor in a 5% error your miles were closer to 11176 (11764 X 95%) then divide by the gallons used, we now have a corrected mpg of 37.88.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Orange Bandit
Do you suppose all the other posts have included the mileage correction factor in their average mpg?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I suppose I'm in the same MPG range as the others who have responded - mid-to-upper 30's. I kept track of such things far more after first getting my Wing, but slacked off, except for long trips. I hope I'd recognize a poorly running engine through performance or sound before I'd do so by checking MPG's. I do like reading about the MPG's the folks at higher elevations are getting, though!

Hey, Hawk, great pics of your '03 Silver and trailer. I'll be watching for you around the Cities this summer.

GWG
'03 Silver

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
See what you started Joe...don't even think about asking a question concerning oil...the responses will give you fits.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I get right at 40 MPG both before and after the ECM replacement! VERY PLEASED! :D

·
Registered
824 Posts
HAWK said:
Orange Bandit
Do you suppose all the other posts have included the mileage correction factor in their average mpg?
Hawk, if they don't say it is corrected, I have to assume not. If you posted corrected mileage, my apologies to you.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I start looking at around 200 miles

·
Registered
260 Posts
There are a lot of factors. With over 120K on two GL1800's I have averaged about 37 per the ODO.

One thing is evident as I have tracked my mileage for quite awhile is that the GL1800 likes warm weather. I'm in Indiana and ride all winter. I will usually see a 5-7 mpg drop in the winter.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I don't care what mine gets.

It's just too much fun to ride to worry about fuel mileage :D

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I have noticed that lower mercury makes for higher fuel consumption also. I think it is due to the the rich mixture until warmup.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts