GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '95 GL1500SE (with Wifey on board) got 46 mpg when ridden at a steady 55 mph on a flat road. My '06 GL1800 gets 48 mpg (with less than 1,000 miles on the clock!) under the same conditions.

Today, I cranked it up a notch and maintained 65 mph for a good portion of a short trip of 150 miles. My mileage (with Wifey aboard) was 42 mpg.

Ever since the GL1800 was introduced, I've read nothing good about gas mileage. Is my mileage typical, or is my calculator broke?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
My wing is a 2001 and has over 205,000 miles on it. The gas mileage has varied from day one... The best I ever got was 55 MPG and that was a ride from Boise Idaho to Pocatello Idaho, Big tail wind, dust and all.

The worse was in the 20's, racing with some guys in a canyon..

Over all I think I am doing about 42 to 44 MPG

Better than my old GL-1500 by a long shot !!!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
552 Posts
On my last trip up to CO, my gas mileage varied from 45 to 54 in some spots when I held it to about 2700 rpm. When I toned it down to 65 mph and could keep it between 2700 and 2800 rpm, I could average about 48mpg for over 200 miles. After I fill up the gold wing, it will get better mileage if the weather is between 69 degrees and 75 degrees. If the humidity is over 63%, then my mileage will suffer a little bit. I prefer to ride when the humidity is less than 12% and the temperature is about 65 degrees. Then I can get close to 51 mpg if I keep my rpm below 2800 and the speed at around 63 mph. I think the gold wing is the greatest bike ever...

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
No matter how hard I try, I just can NOT keep the R's under 3000 for a very long period.... For some reason it has to run up to 5k several times when no one is looking !! :lol:

That kind of behavior does not help the max gas mileage LOL

Just me 8)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I dont think it's broke. I never got quite as good as you, but when mine was new to me (~2,500 on the clock) it got a steady 40+ MPG. Afer I'd had it a month or so, I had the ECM campaign done and we switched to our winter gas (Oxygenated) and the mileage dropped into the high 30's. It was certainly the ECM campaign because no matter how hard I've tried, I can't get that kind of mileage again even if I baby it like I did when I first got it. OTOH, since I don't baby it any more, my average is now closer to 35mpg.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am on my 3rd GL1800 (2001/2003/2006), and I am sure the 2006 uses less then my previous 1800's. I can not compare directly with another GL1800 as I drive mainly myself. A friend in Belgium has the same experience having owned 4 GL1800's untill now and also driving a 2006. He takes 1-2 liters less between fuelstops compared with his friends in the same group on GL1800 of other years. I guess Honda has also changed something in this area, next to the cooling system on the 2006. It is also one of Honda Corporate objectives to reduce fuel consumption on all vehicles, so maybe they made a good start with the GL1800 2006.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You could very well be getting better mileage than many others because you seem to be able to keep the speed down better than most. If you're typically cruising at 55mph, I can imagine that your mileage would be much better than those of us that set the cruise control at 70 or higher.
Another thing is to be sure that you're not putting too much weight into the results from one single tank of fuel. If you're not filling the tank to exactly the same level from one tank to the next, the results can vary by a considerable amount. The most accurate fuel mileage calculation would be from several consecutive tanks.
I recently rode from San Diego to Seattle non-stop. Along the way, I refueled several times. The variation in fuel mileage between the different tanks was considerable. It's not that I suddenly had a 5mpg swing in fuel mileage, it's that I didn't get the tank as full on one tank as I did on another.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I average 42 to 44 miles to the gallon ... unless I'm having an unusual amount of fun! :twisted:

Your calculator might work correctly but does your odometer? Most wings indicate more miles than actually driven.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
thechicken said:
My '95 GL1500SE (with Wifey on board) got 46 mpg when ridden at a steady 55 mph on a flat road. My '06 GL1800 gets 48 mpg (with less than 1,000 miles on the clock!) under the same conditions.

Today, I cranked it up a notch and maintained 65 mph for a good portion of a short trip of 150 miles. My mileage (with Wifey aboard) was 42 mpg.

Ever since the GL1800 was introduced, I've read nothing good about gas mileage. Is my mileage typical, or is my calculator broke?
Your calculator could be broken!! Some here do claim outstanding mpg. For me on my '06, my mpg. average is mid only 30ish, many times low 30's, best mpg. ever 38mpg. But I ride tight and fast you may not. T. 8)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
ridin like Grandpa

Also if you only ride 55mph. you might consider a Honda scooter they are still nice and comfy and get super mpg. if that's your primary goal. Not for me. Like "Sammy Hagar" said: I can't drive 55 and never could, or 65 or 75. T. :p :p

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I've owned a lot of motorcycles of many different brands and sizes. One thing I have noticed is that fuel mileage is directly related to throttle twist. I get lousy mileage. <G>!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm a big guy. 6'2", 300 lbs. I use a Honda tall windshield always all the way up. But I'm a "smooth" rider. I've always gotten 42-48 mpg on my '02 (miles corrected with a yellow box). It has 45000 miles now.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I have ridden with some 1500's on a trip a time or two and at the fuel stops the 1500's have taken a little more fuel than did my 1800. I usually get 41to 42 mpg on a trip riding two up and the saddlebags and the trunk fully loaded. I have gotten 48 mpg riding on the Blueridge Parkway at 45 mph. Riding locally I might only get 36 to 38 mpg. I have noticed that after using gasoline with the 10% ethonal, my mileage will be a bit less. In the winter time the mileage is less than in the summer.

If you haven't installed a Yellow Box on your bike, don't forget to subtract 4% from the mileage you use to calculate your fuel mileage from because the stock odometer is reading 4% more miles than you actually traveled.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My 2006 Wing gets 37-42 MPG depending on how I'm riding. I have 8700 miles on it now, and so far no change in milage. I do tend to ride it like my VTX1800R, when I had it. Ride it like I stold it !!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Like others, my mileage isn't near as good as yours. But I ride a little faster, too. Trip from OKC to Tulsa and back the other day netted 36 mpg. Speed limit on the turnpike is 75, and I spent most the trip at least 10 over. Gotta learn to slow this thing down. It's as smooth at 95 as it is at 75....

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I just put gas in...and go...

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Your GL 1500 was dead on in distance measurement.

You must multiply your mileage by 0.955 to get the real distance traveled for computation purposes.

The GL 1800 is more efficient than the GL 1500, but not as much as the odometer readings will indicate.

You should be able to get 250 miles on a tank of fuel which is 264 miles on your odometer, and still have about 20 miles left.

Your fuel light should come on at 5.35 gallons used and about 220 miles on the odometer, and you should have 1.30 gallons left which should carry you 55 more miles at easy riding speeds.

All of this presupposes that your tires are above 40 psi, and your use of the throttle is very sparing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
180 miles a day commute average mid thirties. On a cross country trip best was 42 worst was 29. I ride like I stole it because I did.

2006 no airbag.
utopia
speedohealer

·
Registered
922 Posts
When mine was new I was getting that kind of mileage, I think it was due to the engine still being tight. After about 5 k it now gets a steady 38-42, this is after changing plugs, airfilter and resetting the ecm thingy.....I wish it had the feature Corvettes have that shut down a couple of cylinders at cruising speed. I would like to get better mileage than a car. One of the reasons I bought it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts