GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what kind of mileage other GL18's are getting? I am getting about 28 miles to the gallon. Dealer I took it to, the service manager is a Winger and GWRRA member, said they hooked it up and all checked out fine. They called the Honda technical rep and he said the bike is just breaking in, as I only have about 300 miles on it now. The Honda rep said not unusal for the bike to get lower mileage until broken in.
It went in for the heated seats and grips not working. Plug under the seat was loose from installation I guess. Now they reallly work great as do the warm air vents. Those have me worried about summer riding. Even with the vents closed and the lever shut warm air heats up my shins. :( Any ideas on how to safely block them come summer so I won't roast my shins? Thanks, Ray.

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
You're the first person I have heard that got warm air out of the fairing vents unless it was 100 degrees outside! Congrats!

I leave mine open all the time because nothing comes out of them, winter or summer.

Your mileage is low. It doesn't get 25% better after "break-in". I've never had a Wing "break-in". They all get almost the same fuel mileage at 1 mile as they got at 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Red..
I had an '03a and now have an '06a..didn't get any discernable warmth outa the vents from the '03a, but I surely do with the '06a. Dunno what if anything is different, but I get a nice sense of warmth from the vents..and the toe vents are remarkable in their effectiveness. I have been told that the cooling system was greatly modified beginning with the '06, so perhaps this is the source of the heat.

Rackin Ray..
Been riding my '06a since last April (14,000+ at the moment), and I have felt increased heat around foot and leg level..I assume from the modified cooling system. Didn't have that issue with my late '03a (57,000 miles on it when it was destroyed). I added Air Wings to the '06a and they do make a positive difference, but when stopped I do feel the rising heat. Almost like riding an '07 HD, eh? Not really an issue, just different from my '03a.

As for MPG..I have a frame on my license plate that says "50 MPG....One less car" Yes, I can get 50 mpg from it, but I have to work at it and it's not much fun. Normal mileage from both the Wings I have owned was about 42 mpg from the day they were new. I will admit that sometimes when I am having too much fun, the mileage drops into the mid 30s. Don't think I wanna have so much fun it drops into the twenties, eh?

Ride long and safe..and I wouldn't worry too much about the heat. I would, however, be concerned about the crummy mileage you are getting.

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
You mean there is supposed to be heat coming out of those vents? Never felt any. Average right around 43-44 mpg, mostly highway. Have had as high as 52 and as low as 36. I try to control my right hand but soemtimes it just gets ahead of me.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I do not remember reading any factory claim that they revamped the vents to allow them to get heat.

There should be nothing but outside air coming through them which was done to raise the pressure of ambient air in that pocket so the radiator effluent would not try to turn the corner and go back into that pocket in front of your shins.

There is no heated air until the air passes through the radiator core, which is always going outboard over the core unless the fans are running in which case the air is moving inboard through the core, then forward in the plenum and out the front of the bike.

For tempered riding, you should be getting an indicated 40 mpg with the OEM tires.

Make sure no one put diesel fuel in the bike which will hammer the pistons and rods horribly, and probably plug the catalytic converter.

You need to initialize the EFC. To do this, put the bike on the centerstand with the engine cold. Crank it up and let it idle without touching the throttle. Let it idle untill it reaches operating temperature, then turn the key off.

Seems like you could have disconnected sensors or a bad O2 sensor.

You would have to work the bike really hard to drive it down to below 30 mpg. By moderate riding, you should be able to go 190 miles or more before the low fuel indicator comes on, and more like 210 miles before you reach the E mark. I regularly get 39 actual miles per gallon pulling a trailer. This would be an indicated 42 to 43 mph. The 04 bike has not changed from new and now has 117,000 miles on it.

Make sure the fans are not running. The should only run below 15 mph when the coolant is above the thermostat temperature when the temp indicator rises above the mid mark.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I ride 24 miles each way to work at 75 MPH. I average about 36-38 MPG at this speed. When I ride with a group at a lower speed, I get about 40.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mileage

I ride on the Natchez trace a lot. I get 40-42 on the trace. Group riding and interstate I get 36-39. If you ride a wing gas mileage is not an issue but the confort level is in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
got my wing the end of November 2006.
now have almost 3,000 miles on it.

I got 36-40 on the first few tanks and I'm still getting 36-40 depending on how I ride it
... my usual modes are:
ride hard solo (go fast)
"putt - putt" (sight seeing along the coast)
ride two up (loaded and on the interstate or loaded on the back roads)

... I'm with Red, I don't think they "break in".

28mpg sounds like a problem to me unless your staying in first gear all the time ...
:wink:

Dennis

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I don't get under 30 mpg unless I'm ridin twisties, alot of gear changes and high rpm or cruisin on the freeway at 100mph for extended periods. Take your'e bike to a different dealer. Something is wrong. You can try resetting the ECM first and then check it but thats a pretty big difference in what you should be getting. Tim

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

for all the inputs. I went on a little ride today, would have been a long ride on my '02 Vulcan. Rode out with the wife for breakfast and did a little loop from Pensacola, Fl on 90 West to AL 59. Dropped south to AL 98 at Foley, AL. Came back 98 east for the return to Pensacola.
Did the reset first as described and got better mileage outta the second half of the tank than the first half before reset. Could have been the reset or the country road crusing vice city traffic. Did notice some wandering in the fuel guage, it would show a quarter tank stopped and sitting level, a mile or two later it would show almost half a tank while riding level.
Filled up at the end of the ride and she only took 4.6 gallons when just below the quarter tank mark on fuel guage. Put it on the center stand to fuel as I wanted to be sure to get a full tank.
Next tank will be the test! Thanks again for the insights and confirmations.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I have an 05, purchased new....gas mileage really hasn't changed since new....I get about 34-36 mpg around town (lots of stop and quick goes in traffic)....with the cruise set at 80mph I get high 40's on the highway

Me thinks something is amiss with yours, 24mpg is too low.....t get 36mpg you need a whopping 50% increase! I do not see that happening from "break-in"

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tom Finch..
regarding your statement I do not remember reading any factory claim that they revamped the vents to allow them to get heat.

There should be nothing but outside air coming through them which was done to raise the pressure of ambient air in that pocket so the radiator effluent would not try to turn the corner and go back into that pocket in front of your shins.

Please see page 65 of the 2006 owners manual. "You can adjust the side warmer ventilation louvers to direct the flow of warm air."

Ride long and safe..and just fyi, eh?

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
With only 300 miles on the wing, I wonder if you are figuring your mileage properly. I can't imagine a new GW getting less than 35 MPG, and I would expect something closer to 40+.

Vents: Are you talking about the foot vents that come with the comfort package or the vents at hand and knee level?

·
Registered
19,048 Posts
mattcaswell said:
I ride 24 miles each way to work at 75 MPH. I average about 36-38 MPG at this speed. When I ride with a group at a lower speed, I get about 40.
Ditto on the mileage

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The vents I am talking about are on left and right inner fairing below my knee level. The are right at shin level and do blow warm air, very warm below 50 MPH, even with the louvers closed. That is why I wonder how they will be in the summer here in FL!
After 30 years of riding, and 34 of driving, I think I can handle the mileage calculation. :lol:
The 28 MPG was when I had below 300 miles on the bike. Got more than that now thaks to clear weather this weekend!
If the mileage does not improve the dealer's service manager I took it to already indicated they would go into it more if need be. After this week I will know. Thanks again.

·
Chard Member
12,960 Posts
Rackin Ray said:
The vents I am talking about are on left and right inner fairing below my knee level. The are right at shin level and do blow warm air, very warm below 50 MPH, even with the louvers closed. That is why I wonder how they will be in the summer here in FL!
Like I said earlier, you're lucky yours work.

Just for snits & giggles I went out earlier to test my "warm air vents". Ain't nothing warm about them. :shock: I just got home from a ride. The bike was hot enough for the fans to run while sitting in the garage. I blew 120psi compressed air through the front inlets. Very little air came through the vents. The air that came through was cool, not warm.

Next I'm going to stick my 160mph leaf blower to the inlets. Maybe that will move some "warm" air!

I even opened the foot heater control to see if it were connected to the fresh air tubes. I knew they weren't, but I had to double check! :( Guess I got shafted buying this used '06. I'm going to buy a new one next time. Maybe I'll get a good one. LOL!!

If you get warm out out of your vents and think it will be a problem this summer, remove the vent and cram a sponge inside of it. Problem solved. :wink:

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
The mileage you people are getting, are these figures your throwing out from corrected speedo's? I can short shift at 2500 rpm, drive it like granny, risk my life (pray I dont get run over) and never break 70 (corrected) commuting and never get abover 35 mpg. Now thats on Ca Gas at about sea level, and even though I have no question Ca Gas makes a differance, I have a hard time imagining it makes that much. Then again, maybe it does?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Re: Thanks

Rackin Ray said:
for all the inputs. Filled up at the end of the ride and she only took 4.6 gallons when just below the quarter tank mark on fuel guage. Put it on the center stand to fuel as I wanted to be sure to get a full tank.
Ray, just a note about filling up your tank too full. Be careful not to fill the tank up above the fill neck. If you get it too full, you will get liquid over into the charcoal filter system that works the vapors off the tank. People tell me that replacing that filter is not fun.

·
Registered
464 Posts
North Florida said:
Tom Finch..
regarding your statement I do not remember reading any factory claim that they revamped the vents to allow them to get heat.

Please see page 65 of the 2006 owners manual. "You can adjust the side warmer ventilation louvers to direct the flow of warm air."

Ride long and safe..and just fyi, eh?

John
ETC (SW) USN ret
The Sabre Group ret
EDS ret
'06 GL18HPNAC6
My manual say's the same. And in the summer, it's hot air, not warm air. Feels pretty good on a 50-60 degree day. I don't have the optional comfort package but maybe it has the same ducting and is just redirecting the heat generated by the tires. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts